Author Topic: Australia is really bad when it comes to open access  (Read 844 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Australia is really bad when it comes to open access
« on: October 15, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
You can't access anything at all except borrow old books. The new books are all ebooks and only available for students and staff. I spoke to a librarian about this from UTS and apparently the publishers have changed subscription models which only allows access for staff and students. They've had cases where if a student downloads too many ebooks the publisher contacts the university because they think the student might be profiting from it and so stops the whole university from gaining access until the matter is resolved. I heard some horror stories perpetrated by publishers. I spoke to some librarians and the worst was from my own university- sydney university fisher library. Most of them are genuinely retarded and rude. They really don't know what's going on and frankly don't care. I couldn't gain access to ejournals, ebooks, wifi as an alumni or a registered guest at any university today. I don't think I can associate myself with universities who are that closed to the public. It's not right. I wasn't pleased today, so I found a loophole and made all articles accessible to anyone at one library. Public access matters. Private message me if you want to know where and how you can gain access.