Author Topic: The Debate: Is technology harming our kids?  (Read 13732 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
The Debate: Is technology harming our kids?
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:58:06 AM »
I'll start by saying anything in excess is harmful. There just needs to be a healthy balance.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
Re: The Debate: Is technology harming our kids?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:20 AM »
I'll start by saying anything in excess is harmful. There just needs to be a healthy balance.

Depends, it is a subject of continuous discussion. Technology has solved a lot of practical problems
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:30 AM »
...not exactly by kids. There should be ages limits on the amount of exposure a kid has to technology.

This can lead to visual deficits and an overall harm to a young impressionable mind. Quote:

http://mashable.com/2011/08/09/kids-tech-developmental-health/#F.Z0B79uOukA

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
I think one needs to define the following:

1) Age of exposure
2) Type of exposure

Let's say we break this down to:

1) Under 3, 3 < 9, 9 < 12 years old
2) Television/DVR, desktop computers, mobile tablets/phones.

Looking at the first subset: Under 3. There looks to be much evidence on the detrimental fx of exposing a child to all conditions in 2).

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/oct/09/ban-under-threes-watching-television

I think we should agree technology is a no no for the first subset - under 3s.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 05:43:02 AM »
...not exactly by kids. There should be ages limits on the amount of exposure a kid has to technology.

This can lead to visual deficits and an overall harm to a young impressionable mind. Quote:

http://mashable.com/2011/08/09/kids-tech-developmental-health/#F.Z0B79uOukA

It's different depending on which generation you're part of, but I certainly remember a time before the internet, before mobile phones, and before home computers. I don't, however, remember a time before TV or the telephone, for instance.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:48:26 AM »
Ironically, tvs and phones are phasing out. Maybe it wasn't even meant to be. I'm going to have throw some philosophy in the mix because I can see you're bored. Adorno & Horkheimer and culture.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/adorno/1944/culture-industry.htm

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 05:56:56 AM »
Technology is becoming more than just that telephone. It facilitates Foucault's panopticon:

In effect it's the antithesis of all things humane about this world. I can't remember a time technology was viewed as the protagonist throughout history. Makes me weary to think it's such an integral part of life now.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
Ironically, tvs and phones are phasing out. Maybe it wasn't even meant to be. I'm going to have throw some philosophy in the mix because I can see you're bored. Adorno & Horkheimer and culture.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/adorno/1944/culture-industry.htm

Interesting. Why a marxist website? Tvs and phones are not phasing out in United States

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:08:40 AM »
Veritas, living in a tech age requires some hands on with the equipment that will permeate kids lives. Thing is, kids need to "learn" how to exist/function. Without technology to "connect the dots" in understanding what are they supposed to be learning.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:08 AM »
Marxism advocates a non-industrial, agrarian society. Anti-technology if you may. I haven't quite figured out the underlying premise of your argument.

Veritas, living in a tech age requires some hands on with the equipment that will permeate kids lives. Thing is, kids need to "learn" how to exist/function. Without technology to "connect the dots" in understanding what are they supposed to be learning.

That's what parents and teachers are for. What are they learning? About trees? Take them outside and let them touch and smell it.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »
What kind of future are we exposing kids to these days? Quote:

https://20th-century-philosophy.wikispaces.com/Marx+on+Technology+and+Revolution

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
Marxism advocates a non-industrial, agrarian society. Anti-technology if you may. I haven't quite figured out the underlying premise of your argument.

That's what parents and teachers are for. What are they learning? About trees? Take them outside and let them touch and smell it.

The problem with marxism is the same problem with fill out the dots. It assumes that leadership is benevolent and well informed.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
Marxism is about people power. It's about empowering individuals into mass action. It's about abolishing class differences and establishing an egalitarian society without hierarchies. We haven't had a successful Marxist society as of yet.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »
Marxism is about people power. It's about empowering individuals into mass action. It's about abolishing class differences and establishing an egalitarian society without hierarchies. We haven't had a successful Marxist society as of yet.

Why do you prefer an outlined economic system in which all resources are owned, or controlled by the state?

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
I think we need to get back to the issue at hand. I'm no Marxist and I'm no advocate of a public system, nor do I work or contribute to a public system. I took an overarching ideology to justify why technology shouldn't be over-exposed to young minds. There's just too many fundamental flaws in this technological evolution, there's just not enough humane justification for it.

Have you seen the movie Chappie?

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
I haven't seen Chappie. I will give him (Neill Blomkamp) mad props for district 9 (great directing), but I was not impressed by Elysium. I think the guy is a genius when it comes to sci fi weapons and robots and won't mind watching Chappie.

Although for a minor problem. When I caught the trailer for this it immediately felt like a Blomkamp remake of Short Circuit.

And that last sentence is basically the ending to Star Craft 2:

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Veritas, modern technology has saved many innocent lives in Medical field. Medical science is very progressive and vastly available today. Many life-saving discoveries are all thanks to modern technology. Without brain scanners, fetal monitors, endoscopes, lasers, radioactive chemicals and computers, a lot of people would struggle with their health.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
The technology isn't there yet for medicine.

For example, the more complex a medical condition like cancers, the more likely the interpretation is incorrect when relying on radio-imaging or biopsies. When I was at MD Anderson, they told me 70% of cases they received, the diagnosis by medical centres and other hospitals were incorrect.

Medicine is still very much behind and really in the eye of the medical team. I've interacted with the best and let me say it was disappointing to say the least. Pure science and even social psychology still has the upper hand when it comes to evidence and technology. At least those peeps can type.

You can get away with a lot of garbage blablablas when it comes to cell novel etc. findings. It's a "behavioral" study of cells and up to the medical "social"scientist.

Cute robot. I didn't understand your blabla about Blomkamp and district 9, Elysium. However, I think I've seen that robot from Wall-E

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
This thread should not be in the coliseum at all. 

That said, digital technology is just one type of technology.  There are many others. 

In my opinion, the most important things kids of elementary school going age need are friends, enough play outdoors, and tutoring.  If something, including technology, gets in the way of this, then it is harmful.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »
Windy... dear, please refrain from jumping in the arena and fighting my battle. I can wrestle RP on my own.  8)