Author Topic: Priorities please.  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Priorities please.
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:18:56 AM »
Priorities can deviate from the norm.
Middle class first!!!
http://news.yahoo.com/eyeing-stars-ethiopias-space-programme-042820172.html

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Priorities please.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:19 AM »
Perched on the top of the 3,200-metre (10,500-foot) high Mount Entoto, two metal domes house telescopes, each a metre in diameter.

Operational for only a few months, the specialized equipment -- the first in eastern Africa -- has propelled Ethiopia into an elite club of African countries to have embarked on a space programme.
It appears they are giving the meaning of a space program a very broad definition.  Because they have an observatory, they have a space program.  By that definition, I too have a space program on my deck. 

That said, I support Africans employing technology, even the expensive variety, to solve real problems; but also to learn more about the world.  I see it as no different from an investment in education.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Priorities please.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:03:14 AM »
Priorities are hard to define. This is good start for Ethiopia sciences. Scientist interested in that kind of science cannot be told to wait until every Ethiopia kid has 3 square meals...the country too...cannot to do that. Even USA has gazillion of issues to deal with, but still NASA get a sizeable budget.