Author Topic: Internet of Things ??  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
Re: Internet of Things ??
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:47 AM »

And meanwhile the hackers are rubbing their hands in glee.

I was recently at a conference and had a chance to talk with someone, Rutt Bridges, who wrote the book Driverless Car Revolution, and left convinced that we are on the cusp of another major technological revolution.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Internet of Things ??
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
What isn't a technological revolution?

Unless we have 20 fingers and get smarter, what's the point of advancing technology when the rest of society can't keep up or don't even care? I don't do social media because my instincts tell me that such information can be harvested for identity theft, employee spying, spam marketing, tarnish reputations, pigeon societies. One day it'll come crashing like the stock market unless there's enough buffers to protect individuals from the Internet of Things.

What if someone stole my toothbrush or gained access to my toothbrush cloud and caused a foodie chaos? Burn my house down by sending a virus to my oven. If I brushed my teeth with an analog toothbrush such things should not happen.

If such systems were to exist in symbiosis with societies, then it couldn't be run by our hands. They would have to be non-sentient entities with a much higher automated response and capable of buffering individuals from potential technological collateral.