Author Topic: Manila Metro  (Read 9189 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Manila Metro
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
I watched that tonight. It had me in tears.

I don't forget poverty. Me not being in a home is a reminder of how hurt the world is. There's so much raw pain in this world.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Manila Metro
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »
I watched that tonight. It had me in tears.

I don't forget poverty. Me not being in a home is a reminder of how hurt the world is. There's so much raw pain in this world.
You should borrow and read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle

and if you feel you need more American Dickensian stories:

1. An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
2. Light in August - William Faulkner

We can discuss for ever.

I will travel to Manila in February next year. I just downloaded the movie. I want to get some ideas. Reading the reviews, it looks more like "Town Rat and Country Rat" meet. Or it could Town Rat meats Farm mouse"
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
Metro Manila (2013)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »
This Movie has suffered some form of discrimination. It has not be granted its fair and due value.

I started watching it with the clear intention to get an excuse to "postpone" the event. God only knows how may movies, books, articles, I have postponed what I had started...

Three minutes in to the movie and I was finding the most comfortable posture for I knew this was going to the very end.

You see the best of the Philippines. For those who have never been to Manila but know Nairobi, I say you have half the picture with you already. It is crowded and it is fast. The couple are welcomed to the city by "good samaritans" who waste no time in separating them from their extremely limited cash.

You can't avoid noticing the goodness of Oscar Ramirez and his wife. Dishonesty, crime, profiteering, fraud, thievery, robbery, fornication - you name the sin - surround them. Everyone is plotting or part of a plot. It is so much easier for Oscar Ramirez to stop resisting and join the flow of the powerful current. His resistance dignifies him.

What a devoted father! He carries a portion of his lunch across town as it "stinks" in the posh car of a new found co-worker in the armoured truck company. Even though he compromises along the the way, letting the wife "help" the family economy, he appears stoic making the choices. So is his final choice. He choses the future respect and honour of his children as he opts to make a sacrifice few men would dare.

I am glad that unlike Hollywood movies made outside hollywood, there was no white man or woman being forcefully introduced in to be the source of wisdom. May be the age of cliches is coming to an end.

They could have done a better job with the cinematography. The flashback scenes are almost themeless and obscure. Where they should help qualify and explain a character, the intention becomes questionable.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »
Thanks Omollo. I'm not much of a reader but I'll add those books to my collection.

I haven't been to the Philipines but I've heard horror stories...

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
Thanks Omollo. I'm not much of a reader but I'll add those books to my collection.

I haven't been to the Philipines but I've heard horror stories...
The Jungle is the exposure of how able bodied immigrants are used up and thrown away worse than toilet papers. It is a journey through low to high level corruption and deals with every issue under the American sun including electoral fraud (rigging as we know it in Kenya).

The Jungle plot is very close to that of Metro Manila.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
In a way all of us are used up then die. I haven't figured out the meaning of life. Maybe this life is a mere continuation of something. I've lost interest in it. Rich or poor why does it matter. Better or for worse why does it matter. Success or failure why does it matter. Humanity reminds me of evolutionary shells- doing what we can to survive then die.