Author Topic: Parenting hyperactive kid sio mchezo  (Read 20827 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Parenting hyperactive kid sio mchezo
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
There is nothing now i dread than staying with my 4yr old daughter;i have to disappear to bar sometimes for peace of mind; I think she has ADD or ADHD; hyper active; she can really strains and drive your nuts; she has driven all mboochs until we just gave up; i try all sort of tricks;when she arrives from school and she done with homework in a flash (if you thought that would buy you time..pole); read this book; she quickly scan through it in a flash and she is back demanding for more activities; draw this; play computers game; done that in 10 minutes and bored; watch tv; she can barely concentrate and when she does in a the few programmes; she so consumed by her fidgetting you'd think she is part of the cast; again 20 minutes or so bored; next thing;you have to play all sort of games; she use to say we play 10; then 20; now it 100 or sometimes she say a million times; tried locking her in her room; even spanking her; nothing working. She though is a joy to watch as she read beyond her level; do maths beyond a level; and her computer skills are already amazing; she can definitely design better graphics for rcbowen.

So here am off to the bar...before she checks in...with drama till 10pm. Parenting 101.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
Re: Parenting hyperactive kid sio mchezo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
There is nothing i now i dread than staying with my 4yr old daughter;i have to disappear to bar sometimes for peace of mind; I think she has ADD or ADHD; she can really strains and drive your nuts; she has driven all mboochs until we just gave up; i try all sort of tricks;when she arrives from school and she done with homework in a flash; read this book; she quickly scan through it in a flash and she is back demanding for more activities; draw this; play computers game; done that in 10 minutes and bored; watch tv; she can barely concentrate and when she does in a the few programmes; she so consumed by her fidgetting you'd think she is part of the cast; again 20 minutes or so bored; next thing;you have to play all sort of games; she use to say we play 10; then 20; now it 100 or sometimes she say a million times;

So here am off to the bar...before she checks in...with drama till 10pm.

That is the mistake you are making....get her involved in any sports activity. soccer, swimming, running, hide n sick and let her wear herself out. She is probably too smart and ahead of the curve that is why she is getting bored with the mediocre activities you are offering. Make her do some standrad 4-5 maths and you may breed a genius. Or start pooping some more kids like yesterday to give her company....that is the problem with one only child.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
 :lol: I like the new site on RCB. Mobile friendly. Big transition though for members...

She sounds like a sweety! Send her to me. I can show her koala bears.

An hour with me and she'll be exhausted. My ADD kids go Miss! miss! My head hurts! Why? As a child I had the EXACT same problem. I've been in her shoes. You've got to ensure she has something on ALL the time. Ballet, horse riding, kickboxing, piano, regimented lifestyle.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
She is just trouble.I do try my best but playing so many times is not easy...she just too hyper. As soon as she was born;she started sucking her thumb until it turned white; i thought she would wear off her thumb; then luckly she outgrew that after 1 or 2yrs; then she couldn't talk until last yr; when she was 3yrs; she started talking in sentences; now i have had her jump classes to pre-unit though she is 4; The day i took her to shags..and i saw there were many kids and she liked it..i escaped immediately to Nairobi.

I think i will teach her more computers.... teachers in her pre-schools protested when i tried to teach her more....some lecture they gave me about sijui Montessori...so we agreed she moves a class...to make her a little interested...add suplimentary work..nothing doing..she finishes off in minute.

That is the mistake you are making....get her involved in any sports activity. soccer, swimming, running, hide n sick and let her wear herself out. She is probably too smart and ahead of the curve that is why she is getting bored with the mediocre activities you are offering. Make her do some standrad 4-5 maths and you may breed a genius. Or start pooping some more kids like yesterday to give her company....that is the problem with one only child.

Offline QueenAgrippa

• VIP
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
I'm with Mya, sports could contain her. You may have a star athlete.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
I think i will be asking for tips from you; sometimes i am so frustrated esp when i have deadline i end up spanking her and locking her; then i feel quilty; so i prefer heading straight to the bar to find her asleep; the first thing when she wakes up is to find out why i went to drink and yet we had agreed i do not drink..so we can play.
An hour with me and she'll be exhausted. My ADD kids go Miss! miss! My head hurts! Why? As a child I had the EXACT same problem. I've been in her shoes. You've got to ensure she has something on ALL the time. Ballet, horse riding, kickboxing, piano, regimented lifestyle.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
Pundit
Welcome to fatherhood. I remember my 4yr old son used to be very active. His brain was faster than anyone else. But overall thats what 4yr olds do. Its not ADD or whatever. Some are quiet and some are very active. Just make sure that you match her speed.
At this age they are playful and that's what you should engage her in. Use other tools so that its fun, otherwise she will be easily bored and lose focus. The goal is to have her focus. There are many games that the two of you can play that will help. Buy coloring books and crayons, do yours and let her do hers. Compare then ask her to make it as good as yours. Be very very patient. If 2mins is all she can tolerate, take it. Keep doing it daily until she can sit and draw on her own.

She is just trouble.I do try my best but playing so many times is not easy...she just too hyper. As soon as she was born;she started sucking her thumb until it turned white; i thought she would wear off her thumb; then luckly she outgrew that after 1 or 2yrs; then she couldn't talk until last yr; when she was 3yrs; she started talking in sentences; now i have had her jump classes to pre-unit though she is 4; The day i took her to shags..and i saw there were many kids and she liked it..i escaped immediately to Nairobi.

I think i will teach her more computers.... teachers in her pre-schools protested when i tried to teach her more....some lecture they gave me about sijui Montessori...so we agreed she moves a class...to make her a little interested.

[/quote

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
The playing part she likes...but she is not contended with us playing for 30mins or 1hr..she want to play until 10pm when she falls asleep. Bought those drawing and colouring...she quickly draw and get bored. She just want to do everything fast. Even her handwritting are getting worse..she just quickly scriple thro and is done. You tell her to read a book...she read so quickly..you can barely reply to an email..before she turn the last page. It has to be small interesting many activities. Computer games and graphics seem to keep her down for few minutes....and that is where i am now.
Pundit
Welcome to fatherhood. I remember my 4yr old son used to be very active. His brain was faster than anyone else. But overall thats what 4yr olds do. Its not ADD or whatever. Some are quiet and some are very active. Just make sure that you match her speed.
At this age they are playful and that's what you should engage her in. Use other tools so that its fun, otherwise she will be easily bored and lose focus. The goal is to have her focus. There are many games that the two of you can play that will help. Buy coloring books and crayons, do yours and let her do hers. Compare then ask her to make it as good as yours. Be very very patient. If 2mins is all she can tolerate, take it. Keep doing it daily until she can sit and draw on her own.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »
Punda lives in Mavoko. Last time i checked , there were no swimming pools anywhere near Mavoko, no play grounds for kids to run , cycle , play ball. Just blocks of flats , pubs , dusty path etc.
That kid would be much happier mashinani.

That is the mistake you are making....get her involved in any sports activity. soccer, swimming, running, hide n sick and let her wear herself out.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Arent you talking about my son?
Cartoons were his favorite. He could not focus for a min, but I worked hard. Harder than anyone else.
Dont get frustrated. Yelling and ... makes things worse.
Be very patient for the next 4yrs.
Meanwhile work on trying to have her focus.

The playing part she likes...but she is not contended with us playing for 30mins or 1hr..she want to play until 10pm when she falls asleep. Bought those drawing and colouring...she quickly draw and get bored. She just want to do everything fast. Even her handwritting are getting worse..she just quickly scriple thro and is done. You tell her to read a book...she read so quickly..you can barely reply to an email..before she turn the last page. It has to be small interesting many activities. Computer games and graphics seem to keep her down for few minutes....and that is where i am now.
Pundit

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
Parker, I think RVP's little princess sounds more than a handful for a 4 year old. Like when I was 4, I drew on the walls in pen so it was harder for ma to scrub off. I would climb to high places like the top of a book shelf, just to test their reaction. I would scream in public places just to get attention. At 7 my first computer shut me up. I was on that little mac literally day and night on kid pix, prince of persia, writing stories etc.

RVP, I pride myself in turning little ones into cherubs. You need to speak her language. You've got to look her in the eye and be honest. Treat her like a mini adult, with respect. Set boundaries and keep your side of the bargain. Like, if you draw me a Picasso replica I will tell you a funny story. Don't get her to draw anything, get her to bring out her best drawing skills. Make her do her best in EVERYTHING. It'll take her longer and she'll develop a discipline to be patient and less stir crazy. She sounds like a perfectionist, channel that.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
Lots of open spaces in mavokos;i have swing; she has bikes; and all toys; she goes to school then from 4p till 6pm she is dropped at her aunt chemist; and then her mother drop her home around now; and then it's me and her;  There are kids but seem all kids after playing with her once or twice..ran away from her hyperactivity.....she can demand you play with her 100 times.....
Punda lives in Mavoko. Last time i checked , there were no swimming pools anywhere near Mavoko, no play grounds for kids to run , cycle , play ball. Just blocks of flats , pubs , dusty path etc.
That kid would be much happier mashinani.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
She needs space to burn that energy. Punda should consider moving house to where there is open living like this place in Athi River. She can cycle and play outside with other kids freely. Not living behind wall.

Pundit

I think i will teach her more computers.... teachers in her pre-schools protested when i tried to teach her more....some lecture they gave me about sijui Montessori...so we agreed she moves a class...to make her a little interested.

[/quote

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
Interesting. Seem i have to put hardwork to find interesting activities. Another problem she cannot play with younger  kids of her age..unless she is bossing them around..before they cry and go back to their mother never to return.Yap she drives us nuts..sometimes we just have to beat the hell out of her and lock her...illegal but this is kenya. i personally received my unfair spanking....i think i was being beaten daily for being rude.

Parker, I think RVP's little princess sounds more than a handful for a 4 year old. Like when I was 4, I drew on the walls in pen so it was harder for ma to scrub off. I would climb to high places like the top of a book shelf, just to test their reaction. I would scream in public places just to get attention. At 7 my first computer shut me up. I was on that little mac literally day and night on kid pix, prince of persia, writing stories etc.

RVP, I pride myself in turning little ones into cherubs. You need to speak her language. You've got to look her in the eye and be honest. Treat her like a mini adult, with respect. Set boundaries and keep your side of the bargain. Like, if you draw me a Picasso replica I will tell you a funny story. Don't get her to draw anything, get her to bring out her best drawing skills. Make her do her best in EVERYTHING. It'll take her longer and she'll develop a discipline to be patient and less stir crazy. She's a perfectionist, channel that.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Jakoyo
its not about space rather the kid is repetitive - common with 4yr olds. They ask same question 100 times. They also want to play the same game 200 times. Punda is being taught to be patient, but he lashes and yells and spanks. No No NO.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
Yes repetitive. That probably what is happening.
Jakoyo
its not about space rather the kid is repetitive - common with 4yr olds. They ask same question 100 times. They also want to play the same game 200 times. Punda is being taught to be patient, but he lashes and yells and spanks. No No NO.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
Punda,
No spanking. You'll regret it. She willl do it to the younger ones if you do. She will also take it to her peers at school. Get someone her age to play with. At this age they need confidence, and the only way to get it. Supervise playtime until you are sure that she knows the rules - no hitting, share, play nice, etc. If you dont she will develop hers.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
Yes repetitive. That probably what is happening.
Jakoyo

Yes, channel that repetition in a productive way. Make her do thousands of simple addition and subtraction equations online, ask her to draw a circle a thousand different ways, draw stick figures a hundred different ways, give her recycled objects like yogurt cups, string, streamers and ask her to build a shopping centre in a room. They all have to be her BEST quality. Give her repetitive challenges. When I was little my folks spanked me a lot, shockingly a lot. I had to raid the recycling bin myself and build a city in my room, get textas as citizens, I had to make do. Don't be that parent. Treat her with respect.

Offline QueenAgrippa

• VIP
  • Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »
At that age I was reading newspapers cover to cover -whatever I could read (nation standard and weekly review). When my dad came home I told him news of the day.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »
Queen, omg, you sound like a prodigy. At that age I did everything in my little power to test their limits like take a dump on their newspapers before they woke up.