Author Topic: Omollo and MoonKi: On Research Fellowship Interview Questions  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Bella

• Superstar
A good friend of mine is about to sit through a research panel interview and he's totally freaking out. :( I don't know what advice to give him as I have fortunately never had to sit through one myself. I have a hunch one or the both of you might have, though...any tips I can pass on? Looking through the net, I see several pieces of advice on research fellowships generally...nothing legal. Any advice will be appreciated.

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Omollo and MoonKi: On Research Fellowship Interview Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
A good friend of mine is about to sit through a research panel interview and he's totally freaking out. :( I don't know what advice to give him as I have fortunately never had to sit through one myself. I have a hunch one or the both of you might have, though...any tips I can pass on? Looking through the net, I see several pieces of advice on research fellowships generally...nothing legal. Any advice will be appreciated.

I have been on both sides of that fence, but I'm not sure that I would necessarily be of much help.  A lot of "variables".   To start with, if I may ask: (i) what area, (ii) what tier of university he is applying to, (iii) what tier university he is coming from, and (iv) what the specified requirements are in the advertisement.  (The following largely, but not entirely,  assumes that this is a university position.)

Anyways ...

* I think you can give him some useful generic advice, in the sense that he is off for a job interview, and certain aspects of that tend to be independent of the particular job---schmoozing etc.

* As far as a research fellowship goes:

- He would need to show that he is on top of things in his area, capable of independent research, and has a research plan of his own (to cover, say, 2-3 years).

- "Independent" and "own" in the preceding must be qualified: As a research fellow, the standard expectation is that he would be someone's work-horse.     He should find out who that someone might be---if not named in the advertisement, then make a guess from looking at the possibilities in terms of the area in question---read up on their published stuff and views, and consider how best to convince said someone.

Even better, he should go ahead and ask who will be on the interview panel.   Most places should have no problems with telling him that.

- If he is applying a top-tier university, he can expect very stiff competition, and in such a case a great deal would depend on the "personal" element; "on paper", everyone being interviewed will most likely  be a "high flyer".     Of course, that also depends on the area and how hot it is, e.g. IP is huge these days.

The "personal" element could include indirect sucking-up being mindful of the other people connected to the "centre" of the research: making a good impression on the other researchers (fellows or otherwise), the secretary who makes the travel arrangements and hotel bookings, etc.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 03:16:38 AM »
Doesn't it depend on the university ?

If he or she is from Ivy League they'll get it.

If obscure place no chance.

If from ok place then they should have insider contacts or have collaborated.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:44 AM »
Doesn't it depend on the university ?

If he or she is from Ivy League they'll get it.

If obscure place no chance.

If from ok place then they should have insider contacts or have collaborated.

Up to a certain extent.   It's mostly relative, whence my (ii) and (iii) above.   Mid-tier applying to low-tier need not be concerned about stiff competition from the Ivy-League types (who would have nightmares at the idea of Podunk State College soiling showing on their CVs).   For an application to a mid-tier place, assuming all else is equal, an Ivy-League type might have some advantage, if someone thinks they could bring some fancy connections.

Regardless of the absolute or relative level, Bella indicates that he has an interview.  So, "on paper" or whatever, he is as good a candidate as any other person being interviewed.    The question then is how he makes the most of that.   My view is that, for the most part,  it depends on (a) a certain "personal" element, as would be expected at any stage of the rat-race, and (b) who the fellowship is attached to, never mind any generic what in the advertisement.    A slight, but not entire, exception to that would be for fellowship applications  made directly to an external  funding body, rather than the employer.   ("not entire" because the funding body would want to be sure that the employer could support the fellow's research, which then ends up as "who is there to do that" ....)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 06:47:18 AM »
ok.

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
Thanks so much MoonKi. The fellow is already enrolled for either a PhD or a Post-Doc at a University. The fellowship he's being interviewed for is offered by an independent research institute unattached to any particular school, so the issue is not enrolment to a school, it's just employment as a research fellow. Don't know what difference that makes. Also, the fellowship is in Europe, not the United States.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
Thanks so much MoonKi. The fellow is already enrolled for either a PhD or a Post-Doc at a University. The fellowship he's being interviewed for is offered by an independent research institute unattached to any particular school, so the issue is not enrolment to a school, it's just employment as a research fellow. Don't know what difference that makes. Also, the fellowship is in Europe, not the United States.
Oh yes, and he's working something to do with international law/adjudication, though I don't know what specific area if its IP or whatever.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »
Oh yes, and he's working something to do with international law/adjudication, though I don't know what specific area if its IP or whatever.

The point about schools was what veritas alluded to: there can be a certain element of "snobbishness" with respect to rankings.

"International law" is broad that I can't imagine what he might be asked.    Unless the ad narrows it, or he can identify some person attached to the fellowship, the only thing I would suggest is that he have some awareness of some "hot" issues.   A good place to get an idea of those is here:

http://opiniojuris.org/

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »
Sorry I did not login here for a while. I am not sure if this is still needed. Reading through the exchange I believe MoonKi has wrapped it. Can't add too much to that.

Just one or two comments:

About the sucking upto thing: who would hire an underling that is not tied ...nay , chained to one's own beliefs? You may be lucky to find persons who encourage dissenting views and even luckier to know those who thrive on being challenged but my experience is the higher you go the more stiff-necked people you meet. I'd advise to play safe and close without pandering (see caution below). That is if your friend needs the job.

Caution: If he has already published, he should count on the fact that one or all on the panel has/ have already read him, with some highly opinionated conclusions. Any change for sycophancy will be captured and effectively used against him. 

Panel ID: some schools would indicate on their websites; or show in the day's program etc. The question is how much time he would have to prepare if this information appears close to the interview date.  It is generally transparent (I assume this is NOT Kenya, where I must announce my absolute ignorance).

Otherwise he should follow standard job interview techniques. Relax (not easy), pay attention to attire, oral hygiene and watch out for the question: Why you?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
Thanks Omollo, the interview already happened by now, I will wait to hear how it went. Should I ever do a PhD myself, however, the information here has been useful. Curious: Is there ANY way, one could do a PhD without being subjected to those panel beat-downs? I consider myself a good writer but the idea that a panel of 4 people will be there ready to rip me thoughts to shreds is terrifying. It seems just easier to work at a regular job where only one boss tears my thoughts to shreds on occasion. :(

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »
Seeing how you conduct your defenses here, I would find it hard to understand why you would fail to defend easily. If you have prepared it and have mastered the subject, it does not matter what sentence or graph they pick, you will prove yourself. The key is preparation.

BTW many Kenyans are buying them. They don't ever need to be bothered with panels and things.
Thanks Omollo, the interview already happened by now, I will wait to hear how it went. Should I ever do a PhD myself, however, the information here has been useful. Curious: Is there ANY way, one could do a PhD without being subjected to those panel beat-downs? I consider myself a good writer but the idea that a panel of 4 people will be there ready to rip me thoughts to shreds is terrifying. It seems just easier to work at a regular job where only one boss tears my thoughts to shreds on occasion. :(
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread