Author Topic: Kenya To Assist Burundi With Elections  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Kenya To Assist Burundi With Elections
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

President Pierre Nkurunziza(right)

Kenya stands ready to help Burundi with the elections.  A Burundian electoral official has been overhead saying We know it is only chicken.  Not turkey.  Is it not better than nothing?

Burundi's President has reached term limits and wont let go.  It can be argued that scores of people being shot in the streets is not enough to interrupt a soccer game.  Given that Burundi is no slouch when it comes to mass atrocities.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenya-supports-fair-elections-Burundi-Karanja-Kibicho/-/1056/2704958/-/5epq5f/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Kenya To Assist Burundi With Elections
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
A well known burglar offering to help protect a small bank from possible burglary
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Never let it be said that the leaders of GoK have no sense of humour.  Anyway, the Burundian guy is hardly surprising: given a clear choice between the Hard Way and the Easy Way, the African "leader" is as predictable as Pavlov's dog.      What next?   Bwana Kibicho has pointed the way: the international community must must  must...   We should expect more of that.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
The constitutional court, having been purged of independent judges, finally backs him, if the logic is ticky-tacky or devoid of the spirit of the law.  Predictable indeed.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/africa/Burundian-court-Nkurunziza-nod-to-contest/-/1066/2706726/-/knf0gc/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Run against him and he will lose - if the polls are fair.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
Le chef d'etat plays a round with friends.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32829176

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »
This might come across as "twisted", but it is fascinating to watch a slow-motion train wreck.   The passengers can see it, as can the bystanders.   The driver too can see it, but why change course.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000165110/burundi-president-s-defiant-bid-for-power-amid-un-warnings

Afterwards: "The international community must do something about this desperate situation!"   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:19:55 AM »
This might come across as "twisted", but it is fascinating to watch a slow-motion train wreck.   The passengers can see it, as can the bystanders.   The driver too can see it, but why change course.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000165110/burundi-president-s-defiant-bid-for-power-amid-un-warnings

Afterwards: "The international community must do something about this desperate situation!"   
The Burundian is capable of going toe to toe with the best of them when it comes swinging machetes and other agricultural implements at helpless individuals.  In '94, we only missed the story because neighboring Rwanda won resoundingly on that score.

The Nkurunziza man can stand down.  But he wont.  Not because he has an "exemplary' track record like Kagame will claim when his turn comes. 

Nkurunziza would be spoilt for choice of exile locations within East Africa.  But no.  If Wanjiku has to die, then so be it.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
What is happening in Burundi is a mere rehearsal of what will transpire in Rwanda. Serious mistakes were made. The Hutus will not leave power in Burundi and suffer the way their tribesmen are suffering in Rwanda. At some point something will give. Kagame is 100% against Nkurunziza. I can see both countries sponsoring rebellions against each other.

As usual the arbiter will be Museveni.

PS

I must declare my interests. I have many Hutu friends who I have met in college and work. I know Nkurunziza or knew him before he took power. I am therefore slightly biased in sympathy with the Hutus.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 11:35:15 PM »
What is happening in Burundi is a mere rehearsal of what will transpire in Rwanda. Serious mistakes were made. The Hutus will not leave power in Burundi and suffer the way their tribesmen are suffering in Rwanda. At some point something will give. Kagame is 100% against Nkurunziza. I can see both countries sponsoring rebellions against each other.

As usual the arbiter will be Museveni.

PS

I must declare my interests. I have many Hutu friends who I have met in college and work. I know Nkurunziza or knew him before he took power. I am therefore slightly biased in sympathy with the Hutus.
Omollo,

If it were just about fear of Tutsi take-over, then Nkurunziza is even crazier than I thought.  Aren't Hutus 85% of the population?

How do Hutus lose if Nkurunziza does not run?

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »
Omollo,

If it were just about fear of Tutsi take-over, then Nkurunziza is even crazier than I thought.  Aren't Hutus 85% of the population?

How do Hutus lose if Nkurunziza does not run?
Have we forgotten how non Kikuyu Kenyans tolerated Moi on account of the excesses of Kenyatta? Moi was never in danger of losing in elections in Kenya but the fear of military coups was always there.

To answer you however, note that Tutsi's tyrannized over majority hutus by military brute force. Their numbers have never increased in Burundi or Rwanda but they rule Hutus in Rwanda and until Nkurunziza came, they ruled Burundi. So the percentage you mention is meaningless. Tutsi grab power and then apply maximum brutality.

See how Kagame has arrested and kept the leader of the Opposition in prison. I am sure he plans to have her killed inside when the world is not paying attention. Yet he is feted by Blair and others. He presides over a dictatorship.

Somebody said he wants to run for a Third term. What joke? Kagame took power way back in 1994, remained "Vice President" with all the power, dictating to the so called "President". He finally decided to drop the pretence in 2000. Right now he can choose to be a District Officer and he will still rule Rwanda from his district.

2000 - 2003 - Transitional Constitution (like Nkurunziza)
2003 - 2010 - First term
2010 - 2017 - Second Term
2017 - ???

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »
Burundi succesfully holds the elections.  http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/29/burundi-elections-violent-start-grenade-explosion

Nkurunziza rode himself to the poll station on a mountain bike.  The opposition boycotted the elections.  This is how the African does his shit.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
For the same reason kagame rules Rwanda, It good Nkurunziza rules Burundi. Democracy is not for everywhere. Not when it accentuate ethnic difference. I think Rwanda and Burundi have to settle for something like Swiss or some country up there. They should have rotational presidency btw Hutus and Tustis.