Author Topic: No one could see the colour blue until modern times  (Read 11085 times)

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: No one could see the colour blue until modern times
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:43 AM »
When I shut my eyes I see dark hues or shiny white rainbows. I can also see the movement of water or wind rippling or skirting past my face in different shades of color when I close my eyes. It's weird how I see movement with my eyes closed. I do that when bored.

I had that same experience as a kid.   Those were on the few occasions that I tried sniffing petrol.   Quite an experience: you can even hear grass talk if you are stoned in that manner. 
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
Poking around with Google to see who has the least number of colours: the Dani (or Ndani) tribe of New Guinea keep things as simple as can be: pretty much black and white  for them.    But several experiments indicate that they do not actually see the world in monochrome.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
When I shut my eyes I see dark hues or shiny white rainbows. I can also see the movement of water or wind rippling or skirting past my face in different shades of color when I close my eyes. It's weird how I see movement with my eyes closed. I do that when bored.

I had that same experience as a kid.   Those were on the few occasions that I tried sniffing petrol.   Quite an experience: you can even hear grass talk if you are stoned in that manner. 
Stoning tends to leave everything in rich tones of sepia.  But that is one thing I am sure will differ from person to person.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 01:51:05 AM »

:rolleyes:

Windy, MK, omg.

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »

I could not understand how people were seeing blue and black, to me it STILL looks white and brown
This dress is a purple pastel and black.  I cannot see any other color on it.  Bella, I swear you are color blind.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 02:06:07 AM »
The dress looks like white and tan to me but because it's been taken inside with a sunny storefront, it looks darker.

People who see blue and black from that must be mentally challenged like those dunderhead celebs or color blind.

Windy... are you color blind ?

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 07:01:40 AM »

I could not understand how people were seeing blue and black, to me it STILL looks white and brown
This dress is a purple pastel and black.  I cannot see any other color on it.  Bella, I swear you are color blind.
Lol!! :D You know, I read that this dress nearly caused fights in some households with each person convinced the other was crazy or just outrightly lying. I have a hard time understanding why people can't see the white dress and its brown laces. Some say gold lace, I see clearly brown lace. I honestly cannot see any black there AT ALL. I could possibly see how/wherefrom people are getting a bluish hint where I see the white, which to me looks like what a white would look like under some kind of a shade. But the lace just looks purely brown to me.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »

Lol!! :D You know, I read that this dress nearly caused fights in some households with each person convinced the other was crazy or just outrightly lying. I have a hard time understanding why people can't see the white dress and its brown laces. Some say gold lace, I see clearly brown lace. I honestly cannot see any black there AT ALL. I could possibly see how/wherefrom people are getting a bluish hint where I see the white, which to me looks like what a white would look like under some kind of a shade. But the lace just looks purely brown to me.
I asked around and it seems like everyone has different views.  Gold and white seems like the most outlandish I have heard. 

To me it looks like purple trending toward blue, and black lines.  The darker shade of purple you can see in the background of the post I have quoted, for example.  What do you see when you look at the background of the post I have quoted?

What do you see in this image?

Harriet Tubman

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 11:34:13 PM »
@Terminator,

What back-ground are you referring to? The .org background or the dress itself minus the laces/lines? The colour beneath your last post you've pasted above seems unambiguously purple to me. But the dress itself, minus the lines (brown lines, to my eyes) looks like a white dress in a bit of shade, not purple/blue at all. Actually, you should know that the dress turned out to be in fact blue and black, but about half of folks saw it the way I see it, white with some kind of brown (or tan/gold) laces/lines. I would never have believed it was blue and black if the dress maker hadn't confirmed that he had not made a white/brown version of the dress. 

Edit: Check out this wiki on the dress phenomenon and the huge controversy/online war that it stirred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29

Apparently, 68% of folks saw the white n gold. So something is definitely up! Some scientists explained it thus (per the wiki article)

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Looks light blue pink violet.

If that dress was blue and black and not tan and white then it was perhaps photoshopped to make the color faded looking, if natural then the sun was too bright behind it and it exposed the cheap quality of the material.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:56 AM »
I figured it out:

Cheap dress: Blue and black

Expensive dress: White and gold

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:13 AM »
Bella, what do you see? I think you and i have the same eyes..

• Enigma
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 01:55:58 AM »
@Terminator,

What back-ground are you referring to? The .org background or the dress itself minus the laces/lines? The colour beneath your last post you've pasted above seems unambiguously purple to me. But the dress itself, minus the lines (brown lines, to my eyes) looks like a white dress in a bit of shade, not purple/blue at all. Actually, you should know that the dress turned out to be in fact blue and black, but about half of folks saw it the way I see it, white with some kind of brown (or tan/gold) laces/lines. I would never have believed it was blue and black if the dress maker hadn't confirmed that he had not made a white/brown version of the dress. 

Edit: Check out this wiki on the dress phenomenon and the huge controversy/online war that it stirred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress_%28viral_phenomenon%29

Apparently, 68% of folks saw the white n gold. So something is definitely up! Some scientists explained it thus (per the wiki article)

I see it like the color I posted, a little more on blue side of that actually - like blue under a strange light.  The black stripes remain unchanged.  The RGB value for that "blue" color hovers around #7680A3(R=116, G=128, B=163)...an almost even balance of red and green with a much higher value of blue.  The "black" color is #5A4D43(90, 77, 43) , technically a shade of brown.

It appears that we only see one of the colors with fidelity and feel in the other color with whatever is convenient.  You see the brown correctly and fill in for the blue with white, I see the blue and fill in for the brown with black

I lean towards how the brain processes the ambient light explanation rather than the naming of colors.

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:17 AM »
You need to make more feminine assumptions Windy, and go dress shopping more often. You shouldn't be fooled by what you see. Lighting in a shop is deceptive. Who wants to be fooled by cheap fabric ? no way. That picture is a photo and isn't 2D like something Marge Simpson wears. Er duh she has blue hair.

Is this dress blue or white? Obviously white.

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 04:41:12 AM »
Bella, what do you see? I think you and i have the same eyes..

Veritas, I see both the duck and rabbit. Though I think that at the very first glance, I saw a duck, but because I knew there's something unusual I should be noticing about the picture, I peered closer and noticed the rabbit as well. But now, I strangely see the rabbit first, the duck after.

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 05:30:27 AM »

I never actually sniffed petrol, but even now I often find the smell while at the station getting some for a car, quite "tamu". My mother told me some women get addicted to the smell while pregnant, so I have always associated that enjoyment of the smell with hormones. I never saw any colours though. :D

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
You need to make more feminine assumptions Windy, and go dress shopping more often. You shouldn't be fooled by what you see. Lighting in a shop is deceptive. Who wants to be fooled by cheap fabric ? no way. That picture is a photo and isn't 2D like something Marge Simpson wears. Er duh she has blue hair.

Is this dress blue or white? Obviously white.

Veri, the explanation is that, we are biased in our perception of colour based on what we attribute to the time or the colour of "the day" or surrounding lighting. The day can be white/yellow/gold/red to bluish-black depending on the lighting outside or around/in a room. So our brains have a way of blocking out that "day influence" in our perception of an object's colour and making up for it by enhancing some colours on the object.

Those like you and I who see white under some kind of shade, do so because our brains have attributed any blue there as coming from the "day colour" or the lighting of the room, rather than the object's colour. So our brains mercilessly cut out almost all the blue and interprets the dress as white/tan.

Brains of people like Terminator interpret all the yellow/gold they see as coming from the colour of the day/room lighting and not the object, so they mercilessly cut it all out and the people end up seeing only blue/black on the dress itself.

You are also right, in that, past experience can influence how you see. In this case, you and I may be influenced by past fabric-shopping experiences in shops. :D

......At least, that is what I understood from this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dress-people-viral-outfit-colors-differently/story?id=29268831

Very interesting explanation. In that picture on the article, the blue-black is totally unambiguous, very clear. If you compare this picture to the earlier picture, the differences can be startling for someone who sees white/tan in the latter.

Here's the same dress in the same colour but seen in a different shop, that is, in a different picture/lighting.

Now, this, is a blue-black dress! :)

Oh, and PLEASE scroll down and check out the debate in the comments beneath the article. Absolutely hilarious! Seems even the explanations offered could NOT settle this fight, ha ha!! :D Here it is again: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dress-people-viral-outfit-colors-differently/story?id=29268831

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »
Bella, what you just said makes total sense to me.  :D Absolutely amazing. You should publish an article about it, if you haven't already done so. That abc article given the size of the picture makes it look more blue and black. I wonder if size is correlated with color perception. Like for instance, do we perceive global forms more readily in certain colors ? Like in these articles:

http://jov.arvojournals.org/Article.aspx?articleid=2191941
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00932/full

I saw a duck then a rabbit and like you say kept seeing the rabbit and found it hard to switch back to the duck.

We obviously see things the same.

I seriously think Windy should re-orient his perception of the world and go shopping more.

• Enigma
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
Bella, what you just said makes total sense to me.  :D Absolutely amazing. You should publish an article about it, if you haven't already done so. That abc article given the size of the picture makes it look more blue and black. I wonder if size is correlated with color perception. Like for instance, do we perceive global forms more readily in certain colors ? Like in these articles:

http://jov.arvojournals.org/Article.aspx?articleid=2191941
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00932/full

I saw a duck then a rabbit and like you say kept seeing the rabbit and found it hard to switch back to the duck.

We obviously see things the same.

I seriously think Windy should re-orient his perception of the world and go shopping more.
veritas,

I have nothing against gays.  But I am straight thank you.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
I have nothing against gays.  But I am straight thank you.

That need not stop you.   We live in times in which a surprising number of  straight, upright, pillar-of-the-community type of men buy dresses, lipstick, high-heel shoes ... and enjoy them in the privacy, quiet, and comfort of their homes.  (Unless they also "need" to be caned and peed on, in which case they will go to their club.)  Presumably to balance long, hard days of being manly straight men. And it's not new: there are quite a few, long-standing suspicions of even Macho J. Edgar Hoover, who kept meticulous records on what everyone around was to ... probably "inspired" him.

Veritas is right: you need to get in touch with the Inner Terminator.