Author Topic: Freddy Gray police brutality and probably no medical insurance  (Read 1419 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
To cover for spinal injuries. Baltimore is shocking. USA and healthcare is a shocking shame.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/04/25/Rally-over-Freddie-Gray-aims-to-shut-down-Baltimore-on-Saturday/1451429872081/?spt=mps&or=3

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Freddy Gray police brutality and probably no medical insurance
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Healthcare here is shocking. What Obamacare ? Medicines here cost ten times more than Australia and to see a doctor costs 200 bucks and a small portion covered by health insurance. It costs nothing in Australia to see a doctor.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »
Healthcare in the US is the most expensive and commercialized.  But Freddie Gray's issue is not that; he would most definitely have received treatment.

Prior to the current trend of catching cops on camera, I realize I was not aware just how messed up policing is among minorities and blacks in particular.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
Healthcare here is shocking. What Obamacare ? Medicines here cost ten times more than Australia and to see a doctor costs 200 bucks and a small portion covered by health insurance. It costs nothing in Australia to see a doctor.
Veri, I am not sure which type of doctors cost 200 bucks unless of course you don't have health insurance, in which case it would cost much more. With insurances its about 20 bucks copay depending on the type of coverage. The problem in the US has always been the unaffordability of health insurance for most people, especially if your job doesn't offer any. Many have gone bankrupt due to medical bills, its ridiculous. Healthcare has been indeed commercialized as Windy states, but I blame that on greedy MD's and scrupulous insurance companies. Of course its nothing compared to Canada, the UK and most other country's that have excellent coverage. Obama hoped to change that so that everyone has the opportunity but he has been facing tough opposition.

But regardless, Freddy's issue wasn't insurance coverage or lack thereof.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »

Don't forget that the Australian government also has an extra tax, the Medicare Levy Surcharge, for people who have certain levels of income but don't have private insurance.    The result of that is that is that forces quite a few people to purchase private health insurance.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.