Author Topic: Can someone enlighten us on EACC?  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Can someone enlighten us on EACC?
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Seems like they change managers like underwear. How can a body of such significance function with all these changes. The Matemu guy has not been there for even two years and they are already voted him out. Lumumba the same thing. Twenty years and the body is unable to function due to political interference.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Can someone enlighten us on EACC?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
I would be glad if they just disbanded the commission.  Cut their losses and move on. 

There are enough institutions to deal with criminals.  Kenya police does not need anybody's permission to go after corrupt people.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Maybe they should do a special prosecutor statute.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
Maybe they should do a special prosecutor statute.
Parkerpen,

I am sure by now you know how that would go.  Another avenue, a new way to eat.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
The Corrupt make the appointments. They pick the person with most baggage. Moi picked Mwau who was not qualified professionally and ethically. In any case the law establishing the body was so weak anybody could challenge it. It would be Nyachae who would cut a deal with Moi to fire Mwau and kill KACA

Then in came Ringera - one of the most corrupt judges in the country. He was sent home the first time along with KACA after the law setting up the organ was challenged by an "interested mwananchi". There are some issues there to consider. Whyy did the court entertain him when the existing practice was that a litigant had to show how he was personally affected or how he would suffer before being allowed. The judge later paid heavily for the ruling that the Moi government found hard to mourn.

So when Ringera came back in 2001, few were surprised because he had clearly shown The Corrupt that he was not interested in fighting corruption. Ringera saw it as a stepping stone to be Chief Justice or Attorney General and he had no intention of antagonizing the appointing authority. So between the time he was appointed 2001 and 2009, Ringera turned the body in to a certificate issuing agency. He would issue certificates and "clear" people of the label of corruption. He avoided any high level cases and routinely engaged the AG in fratricidal wars with each side accusing the other of failing to take action against The Corrupt.

When his contract came up for renewal in 2009 and with the PEV still in the memory, Parliament was in no mood to renew it. He was sent home along with his two directors.

P.L.O. Lumumba replaced Ringera. He left office still promising to take three ministers to court "next week". He was kicked out of office when he annoyed Orengo and the darling of MPs and facilitator of bribes - Cecily Mbarire. With Ngilu bringing in the Kamba voters. He is one person who unified all the factions in Parliament in one single effort to kick him out.

History aside:

The idea is to disrupt and mess the body so that no coherent policy and tradition is achieved.
Seems like they change managers like underwear. How can a body of such significance function with all these changes. The Matemu guy has not been there for even two years and they are already voted him out. Lumumba the same thing. Twenty years and the body is unable to function due to political interference.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
Cycle of life. Disband the damn thing. Let them eat.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Cycle of life. Disband the damn thing. Let them eat.
Yep.  I think focus should just shift to police doing their work.  And a cultural tectonic shift.  It's not about lack of institutions.  Those have been there since independence.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
There is no willingness to fight corruption in Kenya and it will stay. The first person to seriously take it on will weaken it but will be killed just before he gets to the center. Only then can others come and dismantle it.

It will take a huge scandal - like say the total bankrupting of the country - Greece or Iceland style - to get some action from citizens. When the fight is no longer looked at in tribal terms where one tribe opposes it when their man is out of power but while not saying it, support it when the other man is out and their man is in. We built barricades to fight corruption when Moi was in power. Now that Uhuru has followed Kibaki there is a change. During Kibaki's time his people either kept quiet or just mumbled. But under Uhuru they are loud in supporting corruption. They look at any criticism of corruption as an attack on Uhuru and his tribe. Objectivity disappeared. I can't recognize any of my former barricade friends. It's now about making money and "hard working".
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »
There is no willingness to fight corruption in Kenya and it will stay. The first person to seriously take it on will weaken it but will be killed just before he gets to the center. Only then can others come and dismantle it.

It will take a huge scandal - like say the total bankrupting of the country - Greece or Iceland style - to get some action from citizens. When the fight is no longer looked at in tribal terms where one tribe opposes it when their man is out of power but while not saying it, support it when the other man is out and their man is in. We built barricades to fight corruption when Moi was in power. Now that Uhuru has followed Kibaki there is a change. During Kibaki's time his people either kept quiet or just mumbled. But under Uhuru they are loud in supporting corruption. They look at any criticism of corruption as an attack on Uhuru and his tribe. Objectivity disappeared. I can't recognize any of my former barricade friends. It's now about making money and "hard working".

You paint a rather gloomy picture, but, sadly, I have to agree with you.  The start of change will probably be when those who aren't eating---and that's the majority---feel they have been shafted enough and demand change.   Much like Moi shitting and shitting and shitting on heads ... until people just said "no more!".  In the meantime, little will happen as long as people stand ready to shout and fight over "money has been poured to finish our people!"  whenever serious questions get asked.

Looking at how things are right now, it will probably take a while.   It is, for example, amazing that the citizens are not up in arms over these coppers whose entrepreneurial skills are apparently better than those of the best business-school graduates. 
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
Yep.  I think focus should just shift to police doing their work.  And a cultural tectonic shift.  It's not about lack of institutions.  Those have been there since independence.

The type of cavalier attitude expressed even here, by some who one imagines should know better---the ones who "went to school", are "well-informed", etc.---suggests that the movement will indeed be tectonic: 1mm every few decades .... until it gets to crunch-time.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

The type of cavalier attitude expressed even here, by some who one imagines should know better---the ones who "went to school", are "well-informed", etc.---suggests that the movement will indeed be tectonic: 1mm every few decades .... until it gets to crunch-time.
hehehe...it looks like centuries for sure.  As long as it is rewarding.

There is no ORGANIC feeling that public resources have a legitimate owner.  Despite elaborate laws about it.

The feeling is across the board.  Beneficiaries and victims alike. 

When one considers that our daily universe is no more than a few blocks around us.  Living vicariously through an eater might make perfect sense in that environment.

Harriet Tubman