Author Topic: Our security agencies the joke of the world  (Read 7173 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Our security agencies the joke of the world
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »
Totally useless if you go by US Ambassador.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Agencies-need-to-do-better-says-US/-/1056/2681088/-/2xdblj/-/index.html

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Our security agencies the joke of the world
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
Diplomats dismissed Kenyatta's pledges to improve security as hollow rhetoric.

"There is no strategy," one senior Western diplomat said. "."

Even though Kenyatta's position is not under threat in a country where tribal allegiances trump most issues, public trust in the state's ability to protect its citizens is wavering.

http://news.yahoo.com/pressure-mounts-kenyas-president-university-massacre-064213114.html
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
One thing I can say is its hard to prevent lone gunmen, but a seven hour response is negligence. We dont need the army, rather special swat teams.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:25 AM »
Agreed. I fault the belated response. The idea of gunmen butchering cornered students for hours while KDF surrounded the place is not different from the 8 minutes of horror the passengers of the illfated Germanwings jet went through as it descended. It was avoidable.

The intelligence was scattered and non-specific just like those Whatsapp messages doing rounds, and besides, precautionary measures by at least two other universities suggest GoK shared whatever it had.

Since al shabaab now know about leakages, they will probably start flooding the intelligence with wild chatter to confuse them.

One thing I can say is its hard to prevent lone gunmen, but a seven hour response is negligence. We dont need the army, rather special swat teams.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »
After West Gate, only someone in serious denial can challenge that grim assessment. At least Garissa is away from the city, West Gate was bang in the middle of the capital and yet incompetence and downright foolishness still had the better of the day.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
1. The link by Monsieur Garlic has one very important sentence: One Garissa-based policeman said a lack of bullet-proof vests meant officers at the scene had little choice but to wait.. Brother vooke, tell me how anybody in his right mind (even if largely retarded) can post policemen to NEP!!! without bullet proof vests? If there is one place in Kenya where you would make shoes optional (Swazi style) but bulletproof vest mandatory NEP is it!

2. GermanWings passengers (BTW it is my favorite airline) had just about six minutes to shit in their pants. Some had no idea of what was happening by the time the plane hit the ground at near supersonic speed. On the contrary, the Garissa kids stood in line like goats waiting for the knife to be wiped clean. The guys had run out of bullets, some say. I say they started with throat slitting to cover as much ground as possible quietly before the security forces were alerted. Throat slitting is the favorite method of these terrorists. How many collapsed and fainted and were slaughtered already dead? All this as Nkaissery conjured images of what headlines he and Boinnet would make the next day!

3. By 1 PM BBC reporters at the spot (who had arrived long BEFORE the Special Forces) could broadcast (rather dangerously) that there were still students hiding in there texting parents and friends. Whether the terrorists heard this and enhanced their "search and Destroy" efforts or the students were just unlucky is unknown. But the texts dried up and we know the students were killed. All this while Superman Nkaissery and Incredible Hulk Boinnet stood by.

4. Finally, I am not sure what kind of defense you are offering GoK and why. ALL the intelligence provided NAMED Garissa by NAME. The intelligence also stated that the target would be a school or other institution of learning. How more specific can it get? There are about 135 Primary Schools in Garissa; A mere 13 Secondary Schools and a handful of Tertiary Education institutes, the largest of which are GUC and GTTC. The Secondary and Primary schools were closed as was the GTTC. That left one glaring and obvious target. Now vooke, even a retard with Alzheimers disease would figure out where to deploy security.

My take on this is that Uhuru somehow feels he gains from these attacks. I am not sure he sees the need to stop them.
Agreed. I fault the belated response. The idea of gunmen butchering cornered students for hours while KDF surrounded the place is not different from the 8 minutes of horror the passengers of the illfated Germanwings jet went through as it descended. It was avoidable.

The intelligence was scattered and non-specific just like those Whatsapp messages doing rounds, and besides, precautionary measures by at least two other universities suggest GoK shared whatever it had.

Since al shabaab now know about leakages, they will probably start flooding the intelligence with wild chatter to confuse them.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
Agreed. I fault the belated response.

I think it is far more than that.   If there is a part of Kenya where Al Shabaab types can operate with relative ease, it surely has to be towns etc. in the NEP.   Those places ought to be teeming with security types at all times---walking around and so on, not just sitting in some barracks.  And after Mandera, there really is no excuse for the failure to take adequate precautions.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »
If they are the joke of the world, their budget(the military alone excluding the police) is not a joke.  Even without factoring in Uncle Sam's help. 

It is only going up as they stock up on invisible materiel http://www.landforces-eastafrica.com/Pages/Detail/9384.
A new report says Kenya's annual defence budget will grow from the US$4.3 billion recorded in the last few years to US$5.5 billion by 2018 as the country acquires helicopters, armoured vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and border surveillance and monitoring equipment.

Kenya is in the midst of a force modernisation programme aimed at equipping the armed forces to fight internal and external terrorism, arms smuggling, human trafficking and drug trafficking.

The report, entitled "The Future of the Kenyan Defence Industry - Market Attractiveness, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2018" says the Kenyan Defence Forces (KDF) capital expenditure budget will most likely increase from US$149 million this year to US$234.1 million by 2018, spurred by government initiatives to acquire more arms and ammunition.

The country has apportioned an average of 2.4% of its GDP for defence purposes over the review period, a cumulative figure of US$4.3 billion. During the forecast period, the defence budget is expected to be US$5.5 billion cumulatively.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:55:36 PM »
If they are the joke of the world, their budget(the military alone excluding the police) is not a joke.  Even without factoring in Uncle Sam's help. 

It is only going up as they stock up on invisible materiel

That's not entirely fair  :D   Some of it is visible, but ...  Here's an example of some materiel that really excited some Kenyans a couple of years ago and which astonished me:

Kenya takes delivery of 'biggest and baddest' warship yet.

"Kenya's largest and most sophisticated battleship yet sailed into the coastal city of Mombasa Wednesday to pomp and fanfare rolled out by proud military brass."

http://www.africareview.com/News/Kenya-spanking-new-battleship/-/979180/1490256/-/1277mny/-/index.html

The history of this "biggest and baddest" warship is quite interesting.   Way back when, Mr. Anura Perera, of Anglo Leasing fame, signed a contract with GoK for its supply.  At the time Githongo issued its report, it was supposedly being built in Spain:

"The most worrying project was the ongoing construction of a Navy Ship by a Spanish company called Astilleros Godan on behalf of Euromarine which belonged to Anura Perera."

What worried Githongo was that:

"The navy ship linked to Mr. Anura Perera was organised under a similar arrangement as two of the ostensible financing companies [that] did not appear to exist at their Madrid addresses."

http://www.africafocus.org/docs06/git0602.php

At any rate, Perera and buddies were  paid a handsome chunk of the purchase price,  and the construction of the warship supposedly went on.   But at some point the heat grew, and it looked like Perera & Co would not get the rest of "their"  money. He had over-billed by about $30 million or something like that.   Mr. Perera was not amused.  He sued.

Here is the good part:

While the legal stuff was going on, Mr. Perera came up with a bright idea: why not sell to the Nigerians the same ship that he had already sold to the Kenyans and for which he and his Kenyan buddies had already pocketed?  He had given GoK its chance, and now he had a rusty hulk on his hands.   (Of course, he would still want the rest of "his" money from the Kenyans.)

It being Nigeria, the first thing was that there be some eating of chicken.    Once that was done, the Nigerians went to take a look at the ship Mr. Perera was proposing to sell them:

"The Vessel, codenamed KNS Jasiri, has been docked at a shipyard in Spain since 2005 rusting away with most of its parts malfunctioning".

What happened:

* First, they did not find a fancy warship that somebody had been building.   What they found was a refurbished research or fishing  vessel onto which someone had been trying to mount guns and so forth.

* It was a rusty wreck that they couldn't even get into first gear and which would require quite a bit of money to fix.

http://africanspotlight.com/2012/02/03/nigerian-navy-to-acquire-kenyas-rejected-vessel-for-n10-billion-upgrade-it-with-25-million/

What then happened was very interesting.   The Nigerian legislators then started a vigorous debate as to why they should purchase this Kenyan joke, with those who had not got their share of chicken happy to reveal all.   On and on they went, revealing details, some of which you will find in the article above.   

As soon as the Nigerians started letting out all the details of this Kenyan wreck, details that clearly indicated that Kenyans had been badly conned, GoK decided that the matter needed to be settled.  Quickly and quietly.   Mr. Perera & Kenyan Friends got the outstanding part of "their"  money, whacked a new coat of paint on the ship, oiled the engines, and a few months later Kenya had the "biggest and baddest warship on the East African Coast".  The nation beamed with pride. 

General Karangi had the final word in the matter:

"The history of Jasiri is known to Kenyans and all manner of things have been said and happened concerning Jasiri since 2003.  It is not our intention to go back in time, this is not the time to say this and that about Jasiri."
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Yeah the biggest joker. Turn out the Airwing Command had ordered the police airplane to transport his daugher in law and some businessman :) on the material day when the plane would have been needed to take reinforcement.

At some point we might just do what we have done to wakina ECK and others.

Disband the entire police force.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
Moon Ki,
I don't like it when Negroes are defrauded in such fashion; it reinforces my Darwinism bias that Negro is several years behind bazungu I. Evilutionary scheme of things
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
This is the most original thought I have heard in decades. It is worth exploring. Simply disband the police force and start afresh.
Yeah the biggest joker. Turn out the Airwing Command had ordered the police airplane to transport his daugher in law and some businessman :) on the material day when the plane would have been needed to take reinforcement.

At some point we might just do what we have done to wakina ECK and others.

Disband the entire police force.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Our security agencies are actually "victims of the system" corruptly managed.... :o

http://nipate.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53939&p=446181#p446181

Quote from: Logan
Quote from: Logan

Finally, we now know why The Recce Squad had so called "Transport Issues"...Corruption To The Core..  :(

Inside details communicated within the National Police Service reveal exactly why the Ruiru-based Recce squad delayed in reaching Garissa last week while terrorists wreaked havoc on university students.

One of the damning revelations said to be the subject of intense investigation with the police is that an aircraft that should have flown the Recce team to Garissa had been irregularly leased out to a private businessman.According to an Authorisation Sheet seen by the People Daily, the Kenya Police Air Wing aircraft, the Cessna had left Wilson Airport at 7.30am and arrived at the Moi International Airport Mombasa at 9.30am having been hired out by senior police officers to a Nairobi businessman (name withheld), in a questionable procedure.

http://www.jambonewspot.com/garissa-massacre-aircraft-scandal-that-delayed-recce-team-from-getting-to-garissa/

Meanwhile:

Kenya's Deputy President William Ruto says the government has given the United Nations High Commission for Refugees three months to close a refugee camp and send the 400,000 Somalis living there back to their country.

The Kenyan government says the Dadaab refugee camp in eastern Kenya has become a recruitment center for the extremist group al-Shabab whose gunmen last week killed 148 people at the country's Garissa College University.

Ruto said in rally on Saturday that Kenya must be secured at all costs.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta vowed a sharp response to last week's attack at the university. Kenyan warplanes attacked suspected militant positions in Somalia, and the government said Wednesday that it was freezing accounts of organizations and individuals suspected of financing Islamic extremists.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/04/12/kenya-gives-un-3-months-to-shut-down-refugee-camp-for-somalis-after-university/
And Life Goes On..

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
Logan,

It's not just corruption.  They had issued a warning to cattle rustlers that they had to keep.  Chest thumping for the cattle rustlers proved more important to these people than saving lives in Garissa.

Ultimately, it seems like NOBODY owned the Garissa case.
Though there was another aircraft, 5Y-COP, at the airport, it could not take the officers to Garissa since the GSU commandant Joel Kitili and his team were to leave for Baringo that morning using the aircraft.

Kitili was to lead a planned operation following cattle raids the previous day and also the expiry of 48 hours Boinnet had issued on March 29 to rustlers hiding in Suguta Valley to return illegal firearms and stolen livestock.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »
Logan,

It's not just corruption.  They had issued a warning to cattle rustlers that they had to keep.  Chest thumping for the cattle rustlers proved more important to these people than saving lives in Garissa.

Though there was another aircraft, 5Y-COP, at the airport, it could not take the officers to Garissa since the GSU commandant Joel Kitili and his team were to leave for Baringo that morning using the aircraft.

Kitili was to lead a planned operation following cattle raids the previous day and also the expiry of 48 hours Boinnet had issued on March 29 to rustlers hiding in Suguta Valley to return illegal firearms and stolen livestock.

It is still disgusting to watch those two seemingly "entitled feeling ugly biatches" think they "own the world" under such scenarios...  :(
And Life Goes On..

Offline shocks

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 12:50:12 AM »
sacking that mbithi character would be a slap on the wrist

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 05:28:59 AM »
Logan,
What does the '10W' on the top right of the image mean?

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 06:09:19 PM »
Logan,
What does the '10W' on the top right of the image mean?

Besides the fact that this was misuse of public property?  :o
And Life Goes On..

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
Logan,

It is still disgusting to watch those two seemingly "entitled feeling ugly biatches" think they "own the world" under such scenarios..:(
These ones are themselves not terribly shabby, if the effects of what they are enjoying are utterly shabby.  To be fair to them, they probably had no idea what was going down.  Not excusing misuse of public facilities.

Still it looks like, even with that plane unavailable, there was another one that was available.  They could have used it, but instead they sent some characters to Suguta to keep a date with cattle rustlers.

It's pretty shocking how few planes the entire Kenyan security(police, army, etc) can raise for such an emergency.  I imagine it means there was nothing at Moi Air base either.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 05:39:18 AM »
What's Pastor vooke's defense now....

The Kenya Police Airwing boss Rogers Mbithi has admitted that the plane that carried the Recce Company officers during the attack at Garissa University College had hours earlier carried his daughter-in-law and two children from Mombasa.

http://www.jambonewspot.com/airwing-boss-admits-plane-for-recce-squad-was-picking-his-daughter-in-law-in-mombasa/
And Life Goes On..