Author Topic: Al Shabaab strikes Garissa University  (Read 13576 times)

Offline Bella

• Superstar
Re: Al Shabaab strikes Garissa University
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 06:36:56 AM »
What a good Friday! :( It's time for a national dialogue, we need to come up with a PLAN as a people,just as we did when we all decided that a new constitution was a must. Corruption is a matter of our very survival now. But it is such a huuuge Goliath, how to slay it? P Uhuru can't fight it alone as it is a disease that has firmly become the culture of Kenya at every level and the man has so much baggagehimself from his clan. It just is no longer sustainable, this corruption. Even for people used to corruption like Kenyans. We will collapse. If we need to totally overhaul our entire security apparatus, we must sober up, count the cost and willingly take it up. Even if we have to forgive past corruption in order to start on a clean slate with absolute zero tolerance with serious jail-time consequences, I am willing to make that sacrifice if it will allow the mafias to let us move on. The people who committed corruption in the past are the ones holding us back. We thought having a good document was enough in 2005, 2007, and 2010, but it clearly is not. The problem is our rotten dying culture and we are learning very fast that it is now a matter of life and death. You can't change a culture single-handedly. You need to convince the people on a course that we can we can all take on.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 07:09:16 AM »
Termie,
Tell me Negro is not 10 lightyears behind bazungu
At Westgate, RECCE almost had it until the badass KDF marched in with tanks.

Now we are told 18 negros highly trained by seasoned Jews took 12 minutes to end the siege but they was sent in 12 hour later!

Can I conjecture that a significant number was slain by KDF

When will Negro EVER learn from experience?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
Termie,
Tell me Negro is not 10 lightyears behind bazungu
At Westgate, RECCE almost had it until the badass KDF marched in with tanks.

Now we are told 18 negros highly trained by seasoned Jews took 12 minutes to end the siege but they was sent in 12 hour later!

Can I conjecture that a significant number was slain by KDF

When will Negro EVER learn from experience?
vooke,

I have to say the Negro has similar capacity as anyone else, less I be falsely accused. 

That said, it is intriguing why these things happen the way they do here.  Why they do not have these highly trained fellows on every police squad is beyond me.  The Jews are not aliens with any special capabilities.  Most of what they will teach these guys is just to value information, most of it already in the public domain, and how to exploit it.

In Westgate, a Somali businessman and a handful of plainclothes cops and reservists did far more to rescue people, by their mere presence, than Kenya's special forces which showed up hours after the fellows were done butchering.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »
If the REECE story is true, then it raises new questions about what, if anything, was learned from Westgate.   One would like to imagine that post-Westgate the Kenyan security forces have developed some plans for how to deal with such a situation.   What would such a plan involve?   Even if all the relevant security personnel are located in Nairobi, surely it can't take more than 30 minutes to fly to Garissa.

A major problem is that things like Westgate, Mpeketoni, etc. tend to be buried in an accept-and-move-on without anyone even being clear as to what exactly happened and how.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:30 AM »
If the REECE story is true, then it raises new questions about what, if anything, was learned from Westgate.   One would like to imagine that post-Westgate the Kenyan security forces have developed some plans for how to deal with such a situation.   What would such a plan involve?   Even if all the relevant security personnel are located in Nairobi, surely it can't take more than 30 minutes to fly to Garissa.

A major problem is that things like Westgate, Mpeketoni, etc. tend to be buried in an accept-and-move-on without anyone even being clear as to what exactly happened and how.
Yep.  Garissa will be forgotten in another week or thereabouts. 

If you watch the Westgate documentary, you will notice a handful of guys with pistols distracted the killers enough to let people escape.  It seems to me that a credible threat of quick intervention reduces the number of soft targets drastically.

I am surprised that KDF don't have units in Garissa trained for that kind of contingency.  I saw pictures of tanks going into the university.  Maybe they just needed the armor.  The way GSU finished them off, probably not. 

It might have been a Karangi Boinet stand-off like Westgate again.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Shame-of-slow-response-in-15-hour-campus-terror/-/1056/2676432/-/13wgdjy/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 05:11:03 AM »
Quote from: Windy City Assassin link=topic=1888.msg12670#msg12670
  I saw pictures of tanks going into the university.

I saw that too.   Those are the same guys who decided that armoured personnel carriers would be the best thing for a mall-fight.   But never let it be said that they brought a knife to a gun fight!   And, boy oh boy, don't the riff-raff love to see their glorious military out in full.   

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:34 AM »
Lack of transparency is key to consistent failures. There is no debriefing, so the same mistakes are repeated over and over. Why could it take so long to fly special forces to such an even? They should be in the air 3min after they get info. Also every county should have these forces starting with the NEP and Coast and then slowly spreading to other areas.

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »
Lack of transparency is key to consistent failures. There is no debriefing, so the same mistakes are repeated over and over. Why could it take so long to fly special forces to such an even? They should be in the air 3min after they get info. Also every county should have these forces starting with the NEP and Coast and then slowly spreading to other areas.
One group had to travel by road to Garissa.  Nkaiserry and Boinett flew into Garissa before this group.  I don't feel like it was more urgent for Nkaiserry to be on the ground.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
Or even simpler solution,
Expose some section of KDF to counterterrorism training alongside RECCE
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Or even simpler solution,
Expose some section of KDF to counterterrorism training alongside RECCE
Or better still police in each county.

I just read that these recce group fellows didn't get their measly allowances.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »
Our security forces are used abused and spit out. No training, no better weapons, etc etc. But, MPIGS can get bigger cars n better terms and are constantly demaning more.
In regards to the attacks, I agree they are hard to prevent. But, a 12hr response is very unacceptable. Politicians should stay out of security decisions. Let the professionals deal with it. At the same time police need to be on the forefront in asking for better resources - body armor, transport, weapons, etc. while the terrorists were armored, Most of police went to the site with basic armor, if at all .

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
That may be too expensive and may be fraught with resistance. Remember the doctors opposing devilution because they don't trust county governments. In any case, barring bad weather, RECCE can be deployed ANYWHERE in Kenia within 120 minutes.

Am thinking the next target may be a car bomb going off in traffic.

• Enigma
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
That may be too expensive and may be fraught with resistance. Remember the doctors opposing devilution because they don't trust county governments. In any case, barring bad weather, RECCE can be deployed ANYWHERE in Kenia within 120 minutes.

Am thinking the next target may be a car bomb going off in traffic.

I just feel like no expenses should be spared.  The police would remain under the same command.  Just that each county would have a specially trained swat team.  They can be trained by the guys who have already received their training in Israel or the US.

It's hard to say where they'll strike next.  Which is their goal. 

I think I now know why Ethiopia, with a bigger Somali population, has been spared this mess.  Somalis are not as integrated in Ethiopian society as they are in Kenya.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:19 PM »
I am surprised no one is yet to put kamwana on the spot for this blunder one week later.....

http://www.jambonewspot.com/britain-warned-of-imminent-attack-but-uhuru-trashed-it/
And Life Goes On..

• Enigma
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
Logan,

kamwana is a victim of delusional advisers.  That is not so much to excuse but to explain where he is coming from.  He is not responsible. 

I just saw today that the Foreign Affairs secretary said the government handled the Garissa attack superbly. 

To cut her some slack, no rich people are sending their kids to college in Garissa.  They did what makes sense to them.  PR was more important than buying a victim that one minute they need to save their lives.

Uganda doesn't have that many Somalis.  You can round them up and lock them up in one building.  Kenya is just exposed.  Those guys will destroy the country while folks are caught up with ukabila.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
Did you see this Editorial?

Quote from: Logan
Interesting Editorial by "Chipiless Mouthpiece" : All was well until they had to veer into the "shared blame game"...  :(  :(

In America, if you lose your house in a storm, chances are that the President of the United States will come round to comfort you and promise you federal help in rebuilding your home.

A volunteer consoles the relative of a Garissa University College student killed by Al-Shabaab during an attack on the institution. PHOTO | BILLY MUTAHI | NATION MEDIA GROUP

THE CHILDREN OF KENYA

These are the children of Kenya, the hope of its future. They are the martyrs of a nation under attack.

The way we treat their remains must symbolise our resolve to protect ourselves and prevail over enemies. For their deaths to mean something, the entire ceremony of State must be extended in their honour to elevate their sacrifice and energise a brutalised nation.

It is wrong for leaders to exploit tragedy for political ends. Terrorism is not a campaign issue. It is an existential threat to the nation.

It saddens Kenyans to see that their leaders are not circling the wagons and fighting this evil as one. Others, who have in the past supported the hate-mongers refuse to see the error of their ways.

But in this tragedy there are opportunities: to check and weed out the hate-preaching extremists who are radicalising the youth, to design one standard and generally accepted curriculum for madrassa so that religious instruction is not used as cover for radicalisation.

There is also a chance to smoke out the vile supporters, sympathisers, and financiers of terrorists in our midst.

These children are lost to us, brutally slaughtered by fanatics. But even in death they still have the power to unite us, to get us to see beyond our differences and to fight together for our preservation as one people.

Where is the leadership?

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Editorial/Garissa-University-College-Students-Death/-/440804/2678700/-/q9k53sz/-/index.html
And Life Goes On..

• Enigma
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
Did you see this Editorial?

Quote from: Logan
Interesting Editorial by "Chipiless Mouthpiece" : All was well until they had to veer into the "shared blame game"...  :(  :(

In America, if you lose your house in a storm, chances are that the President of the United States will come round to comfort you and promise you federal help in rebuilding your home.

A volunteer consoles the relative of a Garissa University College student killed by Al-Shabaab during an attack on the institution. PHOTO | BILLY MUTAHI | NATION MEDIA GROUP

THE CHILDREN OF KENYA

These are the children of Kenya, the hope of its future. They are the martyrs of a nation under attack.

The way we treat their remains must symbolise our resolve to protect ourselves and prevail over enemies. For their deaths to mean something, the entire ceremony of State must be extended in their honour to elevate their sacrifice and energise a brutalised nation.

It is wrong for leaders to exploit tragedy for political ends. Terrorism is not a campaign issue. It is an existential threat to the nation.

It saddens Kenyans to see that their leaders are not circling the wagons and fighting this evil as one. Others, who have in the past supported the hate-mongers refuse to see the error of their ways.

But in this tragedy there are opportunities: to check and weed out the hate-preaching extremists who are radicalising the youth, to design one standard and generally accepted curriculum for madrassa so that religious instruction is not used as cover for radicalisation.

There is also a chance to smoke out the vile supporters, sympathisers, and financiers of terrorists in our midst.

These children are lost to us, brutally slaughtered by fanatics. But even in death they still have the power to unite us, to get us to see beyond our differences and to fight together for our preservation as one people.

Where is the leadership?

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Editorial/Garissa-University-College-Students-Death/-/440804/2678700/-/q9k53sz/-/index.html
No.  I hadn't seen it.  These days I rely more on social media to get news.  Still even there one still gets the tribal undercurrents that seem to be in DNA of a section of Kenyans.

They are saying that Raila supported Al Shabab and should see the error of his ways.  He should support kamwana's poor leadership unconditionally.

Obama is coming.  Who cares about some poor girl who was tormented then killed because recce shows up a minute too late?  That sums up kamwana's state of mind IMO.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
A truly heart-breaking story:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Father-heard-his-daughter-being-shot-by-terrorists/-/1056/2681074/-/qb6q20/-/index.html

And Uhuru's spokesman then says, on the same day, that they had problems getting air transport for 25 people.   The whole government of Kenya, and its security forces, cannot quickly move 25 people from Nairobi to another place in Kenya!

But for some this is just the moment to celebrate "two years of success".   Amazing place, amazing people.

• Enigma
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 12:45:52 AM »
A truly heart-breaking story:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Father-heard-his-daughter-being-shot-by-terrorists/-/1056/2681074/-/qb6q20/-/index.html

And Uhuru's spokesman then says, on the same day, that they had problems getting air transport for 25 people.   The whole government of Kenya, and its security forces, cannot quickly move 25 people from Nairobi to another place in Kenya!

But for some this is just the moment to celebrate "two years of success".   Amazing place, amazing people.
7 hours lead time, staying hidden was the most she could do.  She had done her bit.  I am not sure what more she could have done. 

The government clearly failed send someone to hold the attention of the terrorists in time.  That is something I learnt just watching the Westgate documentary.  You would think the Kenyan security would have learnt at least as much.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
I was watching NatGeo about some monkeys/chimps that mimic humans, one was addicted to smoking. The one that really shocked me was another that learnt fishing by spearing

The government clearly failed send someone to hold the attention of the terrorists in time.  That is something I learnt just watching the Westgate documentary.  You would think the Kenyan security would have learnt at least as much.