Author Topic: Al Shabaab strikes Garissa University  (Read 13573 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Al Shabaab strikes Garissa University
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Scores reportedly dead
Many hostages

Blasts & gunfire reported as masked gunmen attack Garrisa University in Kenya
http://rt.com/news/246121-kenya-attack-garissa-university/
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Al Shabaab strikes Garissa University
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »
GoK dismissed a recent warning and advisory on the attack
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Omorlo,
I have seen circulars for UoN and I think USIU over the same. Looks like Garissa ignored it

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
The killers posed as fellow worshippers.  Are they killing fellow Muslims or were they at a church? 

It's not obvious, to me, how building a wall on the Somalia border is a solution to this menace. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »
I have seen the circulars. That is perhaps what caused the lapse. Some people imagine that if the attack plans are known then the attack wont happen.
Omorlo,
I have seen circulars for UoN and I think USIU over the same. Looks like Garissa ignored it

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »

I saw this Kenian lady,she is with Foreign Affairs saying she don't think the government is going to do it.

The killers posed as fellow worshippers.  Are they killing fellow Muslims or were they at a church? 

It's not obvious, to me, how building a wall on the Somalia border is a solution to this menace. 

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
From FB

Subject: TERROR THREAT
Date: Thu, March 26, 2015 8:28 am
To: all@uonbi.ac.ke
Cc: all@students.uonbi.ac.ke
TERROR THREAT ALERT
Intelligence reports indicate that the Al Shabaab terror group is planning retaliatory attacks on vital installations in Nairobi including a major University. The information is already being processed by the relevant government agencies with an objective of putting necessary measures in place to foil any such attempts.
You are hereby advised to continue being vigilant and diligent while in the University and other crowded places. Be conscious of any suspicious persons and/or luggage as you go about your daily schedules.
Please report any security concerns by calling the University control room on any of the following numbers 0717035268, 0750982391, 0731453263, 020-2319186, 020-2319172, 020-318262 or the nearest security office.
We reaffirm our commitment to always ensure a safe and secure environment for the University community and property.
XYZ
CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER
UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
Death toll is 147 and counting

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
Death toll is 147 and counting
These niggas are messing around with Kenyans. 

I think Kenya either pulls out of Somalia, or declares open hunting season in Somalia and the borderlands.  You cannot have one foot in, one foot out.

Because of corruption and disorganization, I say they get out of Somalia.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »
What a tragedy.   It is astonishing that towns in the former NEP do not have better security.   KDF should abandon the charcoal business, pull back into Kenya, and focus on securing ex-NEP.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:33:20 PM »
What a tragedy.   It is astonishing that towns in the former NEP do not have better security.   KDF should abandon the charcoal business, pull back into Kenya, and focus on securing ex-NEP.
Yep.  I am almost certain the casualties will go up.  They accounted for about 500 hundred students out of a population of a 1,000 or thereabouts.

Very scant reports on the local TV channels; the mental state of the germanwings co-pilot still dominating the headlines here.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
Big score for alshabaab; they strike in Mandera where police are tens of miles away, they strike in Garissa with KDF and Police right there.

In Westgate we was told of 'hundreds', turned ouut to be 69. I don't see it going over 147

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
Move out of Somali. Hand over AMISON Kenya sector to some other peace keeping nation. Japan and India are aggressively looking for such opportunities. No way Alshabab will cross oceans to attack India or Japan.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
Pundit

More people are moving closer to the view we expressed several years ago. I know you opposed the Somalia incursion as I did. We said then that the cheers will turn to tears and got hot water in our faces from "patriotic" Kenyans singing Operation Linda Nchi. Uhuru has failed.

In history if you inherit a war and refuse to end it, it kills you politically - sometimes physically.
Move out of Somali. Hand over AMISON Kenya sector to some other peace keeping nation. Japan and India are aggressively looking for such opportunities. No way Alshabab will cross oceans to attack India or Japan.

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
I just saw a picture.  It's too much to share.  Bodies in a hall of residence.  More than 50 for sure.  Looks like they were going door to door and shooting people. 

If these attackers were four as alleged.  I am thinking if those kids had some military training, they could have fought back, even without weapons.  Perhaps it's time to introduce compulsory military boot camp for college students; not many Al-Shabab types in those ranks.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
By the way, has anybody seen Uhuru?   He seems to have gone AWOL since he made the police-training order, early on in the situation.   Since then, Nkaissery has made a statement and offered condolences over the death of 147, and many others (including foreigners) have made the expected type of statement.   But I have yet to read of anything from Uhuru or see a video of him making a statement.   Not even in the Kenyan papers.

And just a few days ago:

'President Uhuru Kenyatta has criticised the UK for issuing travel advisories to its citizens, saying they were based on Kenya is safehttp://www.nation.co.ke/news/Uhuru-tells-off-UK-for-fresh-travel-warning/-/1056/2673468/-/1mepp4z/-/index.html
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »
4 people? That is not like Al Shabaab. They follow the Chechen style where a large group seizes an institution. They achieve their objective and split in to two. The larger group leaves to take back tapes and other propaganda material. A small group of hard core suicide bombers stay behind to provide cover for the larger group to escape. I believe they were done by dawn and simply shot to divert attention.

I just saw a picture.  It's too much to share.  Bodies in a hall of residence.  More than 50 for sure.  Looks like they were going door to door and shooting people. 

If these attackers were four as alleged.  I am thinking if those kids had some military training, they could have fought back, even without weapons.  Perhaps it's time to introduce compulsory military boot camp for college students; not many Al-Shabab types in those ranks.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
following the Chinese model. Deny the environment is ok while people can't even breathe. Security can take hrs even in NRB to come to rescue. Theres not even a 911 system, in a country that is spending trilions on rails that many can't use. Counties are spending money on big cars and iPads but not security.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 09:15:05 PM »
This is interesting, survivors , two of them insist that the attackers wore balaclavas but they spoke FLUENT Swahili, meaning they are coasterners. Will paste a clip

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
This is interesting, survivors , two of them insist that the attackers wore balaclavas but they spoke FLUENT Swahili, meaning they are coasterners. Will paste a clip
vooke

that is the reason it has always been stupid to profile Somalis. European countries have learnt to look at these movements broadly. They see all races trekking down to join them. Al Shabaab has membership from all over East Africa.

Note that anybody from TZ can speak Swahili as well as a Kenyan Mpwani. I also recalled Comoros and Mauritius