Author Topic: Obama To Visit Kenya In July  (Read 87963 times)

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Obama To Visit Kenya In July
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Moon Ki and Termie,
Is there such a thing as OVER-reliance on your own government to lift you out of your mire?

Interesting question.   I'll have to give it some thought before I can give a "proper" answer.

My "preliminary" view is this:

* It is hard to imagine in a country that is not well-off or that is not well-run.   The average Kenyan, say, might go on endlessly with serikali saidia, but I doubt that he really relies much on the government.   

* As I see it, the government's job is to make sure that certain essentials---healthcare, education, security, and so on---are taken care of and to ensure an environment in which people can best help themselves.    If, as is the case in quite a few African countries, the government is not doing that, then the notion of "over-reliance" should not even arise.

* There are many countries in which the citizens get on with life despite the government; in fact, in some places their lot includes an ongoing struggle against the government.  Again, in such cases, "over-reliance" does not even begin to enter into the equation.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Moon Ki and Termie,
Is there such a thing as OVER-reliance on your own government to lift you out of your mire?

Interesting question.   I'll have to give it some thought before I can give a "proper" answer.

My "preliminary" view is this:

* It is hard to imagine in a country that is not well-off or that is not well-run.   The average Kenyan, say, might go on endlessly with serikali saidia, but I doubt that he really relies much on the government.   

* As I see it, the government's job is to make sure that certain essentials---healthcare, education, security, and so on---are taken care of and to ensure an environment in which people can best help themselves.    If, as is the case in quite a few African countries, the government is not doing that, then the notion of "over-reliance" should not even arise.

* There are many countries in which the citizens get on with life despite the government; in fact, in some places their lot includes an ongoing struggle against the government.  Again, in such cases, "over-reliance" does not even begin to enter into the equation.

I couldn't have put it better.  About the question of over-reliance on an entity that is essentially a vessel for robbing the population.

I have seen people use it as a counter against complaints by people from marginalized regions like Garissa, parts of Nyanza, Turkana, Machakos etc.  It makes sense if the government in question is in fact reliable in the first place.

It seems like a more appropriate question in an environment totally alien from the Kenyan one.  The kind of thing I see Republicans complain about for individuals, but never for the big corporations.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2015, 05:09:21 AM »
That is good one. Kenya gov if we go by taxes they collect; should only be responsible for 25% of GDP; if we throw in loans and grants; maybe 40%! That leave us as private citizen doing the rest of the job of pulling ourself out of the mostly self inflicted quagmire.

I haven't thought of it in terms of numbers and %s, so that's an interesting angle I will have to look into.   The bit in red is even more interesting, and it could lead to all sorts of discussions.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Look at it this way:- without Obama at the helm in January 2009, American history would have been different, not just in its details but in its larger outlines. Here's what one should be looking at:

1. What was the state of the US economy in January 2009. Unsolicited answer: in the tank, in the doldrums, hemmoraging like crazy. The national debt skyrocketing, and the deficit in freefall.
2. Two wars that Obama inherited from George W., a man who should have cut our losses early in Afghanistan and never invaded Iraq. Later still, felt the need to begin nation building and the quest to democratise "Eye-raq," couldn't finish his misguided misadventures, thus being the principal causes of point 1 above. Plus the shenanigans in Wall Street through most of the 2000s prior to Obama; enter obama and his enforcement of new and rigorous banking and finance laws, including Dodd-Frank.
3. The leakages from 1+2, that left us in the hole to the tune of close to $2 billion, which by 2015 is approaching $3 billion. Yep, that is trillion with a t.
4. What's the equivalent of China's current reserves again? Roughly what Bush wasted $$$ on his misguided wars overseas.

Now let's take a glimpse at what Obama has been able to achieve.
* General Motors and our automobile industry is forging ahead.
* The debt and the federal budget deficits that are falling faster than had been projected.
* Because of the improving domestic economy and winding down the two wars (save for the ISIS issues and Yemen), we can now turn our attention towards helping folks abroad - increasing assistance and funding for energy, infrastructure, agriculture, science, technology, the civil society, health - read up on Obama's GHI - and ebola, governance, women and youth initiatives.
* Negotiating with Iran despite intransigence from the Republicans.
* Signing numerous trade deals with several countries; now turning his belated attention to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Shinzo Abe is in D.C.

Under the circumstances and all things considered, Obama has done well for Africa and the world at large.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
This is a laughable extrapolation...there is no doubt that Obama has been one of the greatest american presidents (at least domestically..) but when it come to Africa..he has done nearly zilch.I think he shrunked his global responsibility esp with regard to third world poor countries dying from poverty and diseases.

Look at it this way:- without Obama at the helm in January 2009, American history would have been differnt, not just in its details but in its larger outlines. Here's what one should be looking at:

1. What was the state of the US economy in January 2009. Unsolicited answer: in the tank, in the doldrums, hemmoraging like crazy. The national debt skyrocketing, and the deficit in freefall.
2. Two wars that Obama inherited from George W., a man who should have cut our losses early in Afghanistan and never invaded Iraq. Later still, felt the need to begin nation building and the quest to democratise "Eye-raq," couldn't finish his misguided misadventures, thus being the principal causes of point 1 above. Plus the shenanigans in Wall Street through most of the 2000s prior to Obama; enter obama and his enforcement of new and rigorous banking and finance laws, including Dodd-Frank.
3. The leakages from 1+2, that left us in the hole to the tune of close to $2 billion, which by 2015 is approaching $3 billion. Yep, that is trillion with a t.
4. What's the equivalent of China's current reserves again? Roughly what Bush wasted $$$ on his misguided wars overseas.

* The debt and the federal budget deficits that are falling faster than had been projected.
* Because of the improving domestic economy and winding down the two wars (save for the ISIS issues and Yemen), we can now turn our attention towards helping folks abroad - increasing assistance and funding for energy, infrastructure, agriculture, science, technology, the civil society, health - read up on Obama's GHI - and ebola, governance, women and youth initiatives.
* Signing numerous trade deals with several countries; now turning his belated attention to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Shinzo Abe is in D.C.

Under the circumstances and all things considered, Obama has done well for Africa and the world at large.

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »
This is a laughable extrapolation...there is no doubt that Obama has been one of the greatest american presidents (at least domestically..) but when it come to Africa..he has done nearly zilch.I think he shrunked his global responsibility esp with regard to third world poor countries dying from poverty and diseases.

Look at it this way:- without Obama at the helm in January 2009, American history would have been differnt, not just in its details but in its larger outlines. Here's what one should be looking at:

I'll take it that you are being facetious. If not then here are some facts that might shed light.

A US president inherits many laws and policies from their predecessor/s--they will continue with some and discard others. That being said, Obama has continued with several Bush era policies on a number of fronts, especially those that are in sync with prevailing US interests and Obama's objectives. HIV/AIDS is one such policy that Obama has continued from the George W era. Meanwhile Obama has pursued his own initiatives including undertaking efforts to promote gender equality and empower girls education in Africa, which he will be highlighting on his Kenyan trip, as well as his signature Power Africa Initiative with its focus on increasing power capacity while boosting the quality of life and promoting clean energy (environment). Expect him to delve into issues including economic growth and development, security and terrorism, institution building, governance (read corruption) and human rights.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
His Africa bro Malik think he is big con. I agree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRKVunuTGDQ#t=226

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
The man cannot even help his real blood family..how do you expect him to show compassion for Africa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRKVunuTGDQ#t=444

• Enigma
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
The man cannot even help his real blood family..how do you expect him to show compassion for Africa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eRKVunuTGDQ#t=444
While Obama may have Luo DNA, his ties with the Kenyan side of his family are tenuous at best.  With a few exceptions, they are perfect strangers.  The idea that this guy can be hurt because Obama is not his buddy is ridiculous if you consider that they may not really know each other that much after all.

I think he has stronger ties to the Indonesian side of the family.  Having spent formative years with his Indonesian adopted father and step sister.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
Family is family is family. You do not need to be buddies with family. I'm shocked that you think family loyalty,friendship and love is somehow conditional. Malik might have his own problem..but what about the other family members including clan. Obama carries his father dna and name (if we are not mistaken)..for me..his real family is down there in Kogelo...

It is expected everywhere in the world that when a family member is as supremely blessed or luckly like Obama has become (don't overrate Obama hardwork or intelligence to get to SH); they should help family members.

Obama went to play golf when his aunt was being buried. An aunt he had gone to visit and live with for some days.

Obama is as evil as Kibaki.

While Obama may have Luo DNA, his ties with the Kenyan side of his family are tenuous at best.  With a few exceptions, they are perfect strangers.  The idea that this guy can be hurt because Obama is not his buddy is ridiculous if you consider that they may not really know each other that much after all.

I think he has stronger ties to the Indonesian side of the family.  Having spent formative years with his Indonesian adopted father and step sister.

• Enigma
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
Family is family is family. You do not need to be buddies with family. I'm shocked that you think family loyalty,friendship and love is somehow conditional. Malik might have his own problem..but what about the other family members including clan. Obama carries his father dna and name (if we are not mistaken)..for me..his real family is down there in Kogelo...

It is expected everywhere in the world that when a family member is as supremely blessed or luckly like Obama has become (don't overrate Obama hardwork or intelligence to get to SH); they should help family members.

Obama went to play golf when his aunt was being buried. An aunt he had gone to visit and live with for some days.

Obama is as evil as Kibaki.

I could see that perspective in a nuclear family.  But if it's relatives he has met maybe one time, I can understand why there are no real ties. 

Obama owes that guy nothing.  In fact he should be kind enough to show him the middle finger given that he is now looking to make something off of denigrating him

Kibaki's relatives are his immediate ones that he grew up with.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
The guy is POTUS whose family should even include the globe. This is not someone struggling. This is the most powerful man on planet earth.He can be able to make a difference in whole of kogelo without even lifting his finger.

You and me can try the nucler thing..but for Obama nay.

Anything that is in Kogelo was done by I think Saudis...coz the family is islamic. Obama has done nothing except make life hard for those guys by making them target for alshabaab...o K

Kogelo right now would be a completely changed places....all Obama needed was to hire someone he can trust to deal with issues related his family, build a school, hospital, something in honour of his father and his roots.

He has failed. One can only hope his coming to kenya (self invitation) is the start of his redemption.

I could see that perspective in a nuclear family.  But if it's relatives he has met maybe one time, I can understand why there are no real ties. 

Obama owes that guy nothing.  In fact he should be kind enough to show him the middle finger given that he is now looking to make something off of denigrating him

• Enigma
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
The guy is POTUS whose family should even include the globe. This is not someone struggling. This is the most powerful man on planet earth.He can be able to make a difference in whole of kogelo without even lifting his finger.

You and me can try the nucler thing..but for Obama nay.

Anything that is in Kogelo was done by I think Saudis...coz the family is islamic. Obama has done nothing except make life hard for those guys by making them target for alshabaab...o K

Kogelo right now would be a completely changed places....all Obama needed was to hire someone he can trust to deal with issues related his family, build a school, hospital, something in honour of his father and his roots.

He has failed. One can only hope his coming to kenya (self invitation) is the start of his redemption.

I could see how he could do something for Kogelo.  Though some might disagree with very valid points. 

But not for this Malik character, who might already have been helped in ways none of us knows.  Not when he is clearly getting paid to smear his name.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »
Osama is walking a fine line between being POTUS and looking too Negro
I find it decidedly funny that the same people who cussed Kifacki for 'neglecting' his family are perfectly at ease with Osama's indifference to his relations. The only difference between Kifacki and Osama's relations is that Osama's are whining about it
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
I find it decidedly funny that the same people who cussed Kifacki for 'neglecting' his family are perfectly at ease with Osama's indifference to his relations. The only difference between Kifacki and Osama's relations is that Osama's are whining about it
Interesting.  Personally I have never commented on Kibaki and his family until today.  That is not to question your observation.  People see things.

Between Kifucki's and Obama's relations the way I see it.  Kifucki's are up close and personal.  Even though Obama's ties to the Maliks are very tenuous, it appears this fool has even gotten invites to the White House, courtesy of Obama.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
Interesting.  Personally I have never commented on Kibaki and his family until today.  That is not to question your observation.  People see things.

Between Kifucki's and Obama's relations the way I see it.  Kifucki's are up close and personal.  Even though Obama's ties to the Maliks are very tenuous, it appears this fool has even gotten invites to the White House, courtesy of Obama.
There was a news item about Kifacki's sister who is living in abject poverty and the point was she was neglected by her billionaire former president. When it was brought up at .com, I saw negroes viciously attacking Kifacki. As usual, the attacks was largely tribal-political. On Osama, none of them is on Malik's corner.

I recently watched Osama's step-broda, Desanjo or something on #JKL. He looks much more like him, doing his own stuff in China, I think he is a teacher. He changed his name to Obama after 2008. What surprised me was the fact that the last time he met Osama was in 2008. Osama has kept off just about all of his relations and not just the Kogallo Neanderthals. Desanjo was almost embarrassed of how little contact Osama had maintained with him but he gallantly defended him. So in a way you are right. Had Osama shunned the Neanderthals while embracing the bazungu, Pundit would have a point.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2015, 10:43:58 PM »

There was a news item about Kifacki's sister who is living in abject poverty and the point was she was neglected by her billionaire former president. When it was brought up at .com, I saw negroes viciously attacking Kifacki. As usual, the attacks was largely tribal-political. On Osama, none of them is on Malik's corner.

I recently watched Osama's step-broda, Desanjo or something on #JKL. He looks much more like him, doing his own stuff in China, I think he is a teacher. He changed his name to Obama after 2008. What surprised me was the fact that the last time he met Osama was in 2008. Osama has kept off just about all of his relations and not just the Kogallo Neanderthals. Desanjo was almost embarrassed of how little contact Osama had maintained with him but he gallantly defended him. So in a way you are right. Had Osama shunned the Neanderthals while embracing the bazungu, Pundit would have a point.
I think you have the roles reversed.  The Negro is the only human with no neanderthal gene in his blood.  The bazungu, Ndesanjo's now Obamas have neanderthal in them. 

When you mention Ndesanjo, it's even funnier.  He is the guy who had no time for Obama and his Negro relatives right across town, if you have read that Dreams book.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2015, 05:31:37 AM »

I think you have the roles reversed.  The Negro is the only human with no neanderthal gene in his blood.  The bazungu, Ndesanjo's now Obamas have neanderthal in them. 

When you mention Ndesanjo, it's even funnier.  He is the guy who had no time for Obama and his Negro relatives right across town, if you have read that Dreams book.
I don't use Neanderthal in an evilutionary sense and you know it.

Osama for whatever reasons before and after 2008 had MINIMAL contact with his family. Among others, I would attribute it to Western culture; the family bonds are not as tight,and perhaps seeing Osama as a Kenian Negro tempts you to think that he is another Luo who would gladly stash hiis entire clan under his roof.

I generally agree with Pundito. One strains to see what Osama has done for Africa regardless of whether he OUGHT to do nothing or not.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »
Osama (obama) should dedicate some of proceeds from his books to helping Kogelo. Most of the stories revolve around his Kenyan family. Now still living in abject poverty despite their son being POTUS.

But we know Osama.

I was also suprised when I read Kenyatta snr step-brother was living in abject poverty after the Kenyatta Snr grabbed his share of land.

I really respect one M01...for he has a real golden heart...not these selfish folks.

Charity begins at home. Fix your home, fix your village and you might be able to fix the world.

Offline Bella

• Superstar
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »

The difference I see between Obama and Kibaki is that Obama is a bazungu kid with African DNA. He has never been African by any stretch of the imagination. His appreciation of "family" may therefore be closer to bazungu individualism (which to us is uchoyo) than baafrika "communism". What is Kibaki's excuse? His father apparently died alone in a mud-hut with a hole large enough for a snake to crawl through and zero bucks while Kibaki served Moi as vice-president. His own DAD. Then there's the awful way he denied his family on television to please Lucy while president, and the awful way he treated his second wife publicly in the run-up to the 2013 elections. Or Uhuru's (excuse) for that matter? Didn't see the news item myself but heard that juzi it was on the news that the late Kenyatta's blood brother (Uhuru's paternal uncle) is himself in abject poverty despite the ridiculous levels of Kenyatta wealth, and that besides that, Mama Ngina has taken from him a measly 3.5 acres of land (for which reason he's in court and the story on the news), all the gazillions of acres the family owns notwithstanding. I don't know what kinds of Africans these are, personally. Simply strange. I'm middle of the road with Obama. I think he's a coward and elitist, doesn't want to be accused of "tribalism" either regarding Africa or African Americans. Which is a shame.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat; Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat
Christ is the victor, Christ is King, Christ is the ruler, May Christ defend His people from all evil