Author Topic: Kenya To Build A Wall On Border With Somalia  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Kenya To Build A Wall On Border With Somalia
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
Credit for the idea goes to Nkaiserry, the genius who replaced the catering expert. 

If one wonders how attackers will not just blow holes into the wall, there is also no word on whether the wall will incorporate pieces of broken bottles on top to deter would-be attackers from climbing over it.
http://mobile.nation.co.ke/counties/Building-wall-Somalia-border-Mandera-start/-/1950480/2664900/-/format/xhtml/-/e7eift/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Kenya To Build A Wall On Border With Somalia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:04:49 PM »
Nkaisery a genius :D :D :D
May be I misunderstood the meaning of that word in my days in school.

Credit for the idea goes to Nkaiserry, the genius who replaced the catering expert.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
This is actually a very good idea. Just build a simple wire or thorny fence from Lamu to Mandera.with a road that rans from north to south along the border. Withdraw our troops from Somalia..and guard that border..then move the refugee camps next to the border. Arrest those who crosses the border without first registering with gov and unhcr.

As long as our borders remain porous...we cannot call ourself a country. Somalis have to know when they cross kenya.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Nkaisery a genius :D :D :D
May be I misunderstood the meaning of that word in my days in school.

I think it is a brilliant idea.  If you consider that nobody even knows the cost of the wall.  People can eat freely.

As a national security project, I won't be accused of calling him a genius on that basis.  It betrays a shallow understanding of the problem.

He could put up an Israel style wall in principle.  And Al-Shabab would still be able to part with a few coins to the folks manning it and get in.  In any case, they have operatives inside the country.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
My comments elsewhere on The Great Wall of Kenya:

http://jukwaa.proboards.com/thread/9312/construct-somalia-border-prevent-terror

Quote from: @kamalet" source="/post/132762/thread" timestamp="1427170099
We have a situation of a porous border that we cannot control and also panya routes that allow terrorists loaded with money to come and bribe Kenyan police. Good general Nkaissery comes up with the idea of a wall on the Kenyan/Somali border and there is an avalanche of criticism including suggestions of how the general's brains have moved south and reside in his arse.

Criticism is actually a good thing, but someone told me that when you criticise, also offer a suggestion that is better than what you are criticizing !

See red  above.  Do they also pay bribes to get into the country, or is their money good only once they are in the country?   If the former, then the wall will do what?

Will the entire length of this wall be patrolled at all times?    If not, then presumably people will be able to go over it, under it, or blow holes in it.    If the entire length of that border-wall will be patrolled at all times, then why isn't such patrolling already happening?   

I also note that the general is proposing a 200km-wall, but the Kenyan-Somali border is 680 km.  Is there a reason why the would-be terrorists would not use  the remaining, clear 480 km ?   

Better suggestions, as requested:

(a) Tackle the well-known corruption in the Kenyan police force; really tackle it, not just give "reminders and warnings", as the president calls them.   No country can properly deal with criminality when its own police force is full of criminals

(b) KDF to get out of the charcoal business and return to its main function of protecting the country.

(c) Deal with the underlying problems that encourage terrorism, problems of whose creation the government has played a major role.

Anyways  ...

I don't see this 200km wall happening.    The general probably just wanted to show that he has an idea and figures that, for that purpose, even a stupid one is better than none.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
The "genious" General said wall not a fence.

This is actually a very good idea. Just build a simple wire or thorny fence from Lamu to Mandera.with a road that rans from north to south along the border. Withdraw our troops from Somalia..and guard that border..then move the refugee camps next to the border. Arrest those who crosses the border without first registering with gov and unhcr.

As long as our borders remain porous...we cannot call ourself a country. Somalis have to know when they cross kenya.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
My comments elsewhere on The Great Wall of Kenya:

http://jukwaa.proboards.com/thread/9312/construct-somalia-border-prevent-terror

Quote from: @kamalet" source="/post/132762/thread" timestamp="1427170099
We have a situation of a porous border that we cannot control and also panya routes that allow terrorists loaded with money to come and bribe Kenyan police. Good general Nkaissery comes up with the idea of a wall on the Kenyan/Somali border and there is an avalanche of criticism including suggestions of how the general's brains have moved south and reside in his arse.

Criticism is actually a good thing, but someone told me that when you criticise, also offer a suggestion that is better than what you are criticizing !

See red  above.  Do they also pay bribes to get into the country, or is their money good only once they are in the country?   If the former, then the wall will do what?

Will the entire length of this wall be patrolled at all times?    If not, then presumably people will be able to go over it, under it, or blow holes in it.    If the entire length of that border-wall will be patrolled at all times, then why isn't such patrolling already happening?   

I also note that the general is proposing a 200km-wall, but the Kenyan-Somali border is 680 km.  Is there a reason why the would-be terrorists would not use  the remaining, clear 480 km ?   

Better suggestions, as requested:

(a) Tackle the well-known corruption in the Kenyan police force; really tackle it, not just give "reminders and warnings", as the president calls them.   No country can properly deal with criminality when its own police force is full of criminals

(b) KDF to get out of the charcoal business and return to its main function of protecting the country.

(c) Deal with the underlying problems that encourage terrorism, problems of whose creation the government has played a major role.

Anyways  ...

I don't see this 200km wall happening.    The general probably just wanted to show that he has an idea and figures that, for that purpose, even a stupid one is better than none.   
Yep.  The reason for the insecurity from Somalia is KDF presence in the country.  And the corruption Achilles heel.  If the folks at Kenya national security don't address these issues in their plans, they are wasting everyone's time and money. 

Duale even made some sense in the utterances to BBC before he recoiled to his usual position of dumb court jester.

When they invaded Somalia, I thought the plan was to create an autonomous state in Jubbaland along the lines of Somaliland.  Whatever the rest of the world thought be damned. 

It looks like they had other plans such as joining AMISOM and essentially becoming a mercenary force.  As well as selling charcoal, on the side.

Harriet Tubman