Author Topic: Burundi On The Brink  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Burundi On The Brink
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
kawmana's buddy won't budge.  I don't understand this particular event. 

While one can be forgiven for thinking that Burundi has been an uneventful location, this is because the Rwandans keep stealing their thunder from them. 

Looked at in isolation, or in comparison to places not called Rwanda, the Burundian has been an unstable and violent person on an industrial scale. 
With a president who won't go and an opposition determined to blow the final whistle, battle lines are being drawn ahead of elections in the central African nation of Burundi.

Determined to stay put despite a two-term constitutional limit, President Pierre Nkurunziza stands accused of trying to sideline political challengers ahead of the June vote, with measures including arrests, harassment and a clampdown on free speech.

But with the opposition and civil society groups mobilising, disapproval from the influential Catholic Church and even a split within the ruling party, there are worries the landlocked country is on the brink.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/africa/Burundi-on-the-brink-as-leader-refuses-to-budge/-/1066/2660918/-/8hcrc0z/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Burundi On The Brink
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
The African leader's  way is always the hard way.    This one already looks like a slow-motion train-wreck.   The only thing to do is to wait for the tears that will follow.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Burundi On The Brink
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:45:39 PM »
The African leader's  way is always the hard way.    This one already looks like a slow-motion train-wreck.   The only thing to do is to wait for the tears that will follow.
Yep.  I can almost understand an interest in extending a term for a person who puts in a Lee Kwan Yew type of performance.  This one's performance is average for any African leader.

I am not sure why he just can't ask for a hefty payoff and disappear from the scene.  Kagame to the North also has every intention of going nowhere.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman