Author Topic: Turkana aquifer too salty... interesting comments on practical solutions  (Read 2044 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
sample comments on desalination solutions

A lot research has gone into the development of crops that can tolerate some salt. There are technologies for growing food with less water. Kenya could be like a giant laboratory for developing practical solutions for drought stricken areas.

Drip irrigation can use salty, brackish water for trees and shrubs. The wet ball is always pushing salts to the outer edge leaving fresh water at the center. The tap root can then draws fresh water from the the center of the ball. Fruit and nut trees would probably do quite well there. This could create an economic boon to the region.Mineral salt in the correct amount ,also acts like a fertilizer that can be used for many garden plants. I would think twice before I discounted the find.

Done right you can generate electricity as a byproduct of the desalination process.

Ever hear about Reverse Osmosis, powered by solar power?

his is a technological challenge. It's very possible to desalinate this water using Solar. It will also get these guys busy doing something with their lives instead of cattle rustling, sitting on their #$%$ and moaning about how no one helps them out. They'll be using their brains to lift themselves out of their usual status!!

this one even talks of our fat Swiss, Mauritius offshore accounts where we put corruption proceeds

.I mean Kenya has a lot of Sun right..and the cost of Solar Panels are supposed to have dropped right..So other than the initial Start up costs and the Cost of the membranes to filter the water it could be done..So like the Demoncrats in California..just what is he saying..Give me more Free Money??? Sounds like it...Instead of maybe and rumored diverting money into their Swiss Bank Accounts maybe these Kenya's should be putting the money into Desalination Plants..

http://news.yahoo.com/first-test-shows-kenyas-huge-water-too-salty-154516862--sector.html
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Look like we raised our hopes too high. That is real party popper for Turkana after oil crash.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Is this salt recoverable?  It seems like there might be oodles of salt in Kenya.  Salt is a valuable mineral.  It's used in a lot of industrial processes.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
It is too soon to draw final conclusions.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
The Arabian countries use water from the sea for all their daily needs. It  can be done but the question is the price.
As one suggested may be solar energy could be part of the solution.