Author Topic: United States baffles me sometimes!  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
United States baffles me sometimes!
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/detroit-man-fights-30k-child-support-bill-for-kid-that-is-not-his

Eventually he, by chance, ran into someone he knew would know where the woman was, and got a DNA test. It proved what he had been saying all along: the child he had never met was not his.

The mother had realized that, and the real father was in the child's life. Alexander took this information to court. The judge was unmoved.

Apparently the judge is not professional and should be removed from office. He's not the father, verifiable by a DNA test.
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: United States baffles me sometimes!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »
This is what the media says. There looks to be crucial details missing. The next step , he needs to sue the woman for those charges. I've heard here in the states, it's a common practice for ladies to get pregnant and claim the father is someone else, so they can cheat the system for more money. This guy needs to sue her and not blame the courts. In his favor means it'll be stricter for single mothers to claim handouts. Better he sue her rather than making it mandatory for mothers to take DNA tests, or something of that effect. The judge has a bigger responsibility in preserving the autonomy of struggling mothers.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
This is what the media says. There looks to be crucial details missing. The next step , he needs to sue the woman for those charges. I've heard here in the states, it's a common practice for ladies to get pregnant and claim the father is someone else, so they can cheat the system for more money. This guy needs to sue her and not blame the courts. In his favor means it'll be stricter for single mothers to claim handouts. Better he sue her rather than making it mandatory for mothers to take DNA tests, or something of that effect. The judge has a bigger responsibility in preserving the autonomy of struggling mothers.

Agreed. Seems deceitful on her part and careless on the part of the state for not actually checking if he was the father.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
"Father" isn't just defined biologically like they do in science.

She obviously needed to survive. People struggle. I bet my money he was on this too, and even the authorities knew. A pity they got caught.

People "cheat" the system all the time and the authorities do it too because they are part of that system too. It's how we coexist-individual lives deteriorating i.e. ailing health able working bodies reckoning with a forever demanding, perfecting system.

There isn't a moral compass in the system. The system isn't a sentient entity. I noticed what makes America so great and a global power is the fact her moral compass is still among the populace and greater than the system. I don't think any system as of yet could break the extraordinary spirit they have on these shores-present and bygone, but mostly bygone. Some may call it corruption, but I've witnessed more humanity than the prior.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:01 PM »
"Father" isn't just defined biologically like they do in science.

She obviously needed to survive. People struggle. I bet my money he was on this too, and even the authorities knew. A pity they got caught.

People "cheat" the system all the time and the authorities do it too because they are part of that system too. It's how we coexist-individual lives deteriorating i.e. ailing health able working bodies reckoning with a forever demanding, perfecting system.

There isn't a moral compass in the system. The system isn't a sentient entity. I noticed what makes America so great and a global power is the fact her moral compass is still among the populace and greater than the system. I don't think any system as of yet could break the extraordinary spirit they have on these shores-present and bygone, but mostly bygone. Some may call it corruption, but I've witnessed more humanity than the prior.

I also think he was probably on this too. Some people need to be forcefully sterilized, because the more babies they have the more welfare "perks" they receive. On a different note, why does the state require the name for assistance anyways? Especially one that's possibly wrong? The whole thing sounds preposterous.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 12:44:16 AM »
They should require a name. Put a face to deadbeat dad-data collection, resource allocation etc.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »
They should require a name. Put a face to deadbeat dad-data collection, resource allocation etc.

Interesting take.

After doing some research on the internet I found out that the Michigan Child support law was drafted in 1956. I doubt there were female lawmakers in the legislature in Michigan in 1956. He can't blame the women, but the Government Bureaucracy although it sounds unfair for what he was being subjected to.  Men should have paternity confirmed at birth with no exceptions if they suspect something. Better to find out early than to have insult added to injury.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:24 AM »
I have no remorse for this bloke. To speed things up, the next step is to sue the woman. The law stands for both. She can file for court office negligence or some technical pardon from the courts. Full circle the state is responsible for negligence. Case dropped. The courts are likely to favour a technical pardon etc. she can plea financial burden/trauma because of an officer's negligence etc. it'll work better rather than a former prisoner denying responsibility. Logic.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:23:03 AM »
I have no remorse for this bloke. To speed things up, the next step is to sue the woman. The law stands for both. She can file for court office negligence or some technical pardon from the courts. Full circle the state is responsible for negligence. Case dropped. The courts are likely to favour a technical pardon etc. she can plea financial burden/trauma because of an officer's negligence etc. it'll work better rather than a former prisoner denying responsibility. Logic.

The fact that Child Support is tied to State income it's going to make it hard to for him to sue the woman.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:22 AM »
No it's not.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
Read this article "when your daddy is not your daddy"

https://verdict.justia.com/2012/10/16/when-your-daddy-is-not-really-your-daddy

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Ka-Bella

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
Agreed. From the article, she never even went after the man for child support. She went to the state and as a pre-condition for getting help, she was asked to provide details of who the father was. She gave them his name because she thought he was the dad, had no idea the state would be going after him thereafter. She got the help from the state and moved on, forgot about the whole thing. Until the man tracked her down much later for a DNA test.

If the man was having sex with her around the time she conceived, she would have good reason to think he was the dad. We don't know the exact circumstances. Maybe she cheated on him (with the real dad) once and assumed that the latter could not have been the dad. Some people can be rather daft, you know. Something else may have later convinced her he wasn't. Maybe the baby looks very much like her real dad as she grows up, who knows? Or maybe the real dad showed up later and took a DNA test. Either way, I don't know how he can sue her for guessing him as the likely father in a situation where she couldn't access his DNA in order to confirm. He had been sleeping with her, after all. If they were never together, then that would be some kind of fraud and probably very serious.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Agreed. From the article, she never even went after the man for child support. She went to the state and as a pre-condition for getting the help, she was asked to provide details of who the father was. She gave them his name because she thought he was the dad, had no idea the state would be going after him thereafter. She got the help from the state and moved on,forgot about the whole thing. Until the man tracked her down for a DNA test.

If the man was having sex with her around the time she conceived, she would have good reason to think he was the dad. Something else may have later convinced her he wasn't. Maybe the baby looks very much like her real dad as she grows up, who knows? Or maybe the real dad showed up later and took a DNA test. Either way, I don't know how he can sue her for guessing him as the likely father in a situation where she couldn't access his DNA in order to confirm. He had been sleeping with her, after all. If they were never together, then that would be some kind of fraud and probably very serious.
The assumption is that she probably knew this man, was either going out with him, or was in otherwise close proximity with him to know such personal details like date of birth and social security numbers that she would provide to the state. Whatever the case, the state failed this man and they should do everything to clear his name...even compensate him for mental distress.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »

Mya, the story says eventually the man ran into someone he knew that would know where the woman was, and got a DNA test. Test proved what he had been saying all along: the child he had never met was not his. The mother had realized that, and the real father was in the child's life. He took this information to court. The judge was unmoved. According to Michigan law, if you spend a month or something with a child that is not yours after it is born, you have to pay child support for the rest of 18 years or something because you have "cared for it or something.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
She isn't innocent. He didn't even know who the woman was.. apparently. My guess is she sought the help of someone who knew the chap was in prison and used his name. Fraud.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
In the league of baffling, this is a walk in the park.  Few things can top scenarios where clearly innocent or mentally challenged people have been put to sleep because some crude system has to be adhered to.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
The guy can sue the state and the woman for damages, thats the only way he can get out of it.