Author Topic: Nigeria to USA, on Boko Haram: Please Help!  (Read 1616 times)

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Nigeria to USA, on Boko Haram: Please Help!
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:16 AM »
Addis Ababa: Another recent good round of bashing the "declining imperial powers", and then it was back home to reality ...

Goodluck knows better than to ask for help at the AU.   The best help would be from those who can actually help.

'President Goodluck Jonathan calls on the US to "come to Nigeria" but the Pentagon rules out sending troops'
He told the US newspaper that Nigeria had made a request for combat soldiers and military advisers in early 2014 ....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2015/02/nigeria-seeks-fight-boko-haram-150214174750345.html

How it would go otherwise: USA gets involved, AU cries fowl about neo-colonialists out for Nigerian oil, and so on and so forth.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Nigeria to USA, on Boko Haram: Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
This is embarrasing for Nigeria. I think Goodluck should just resign.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
Nigeria is an embarassment. Too corrupt to even deal with its own security. They ignored this problem aas a nothern thing, but... This is Africa's largest economy!

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »
The truly humiliating thing about Naija is not even the US.  It is Chad.  What do you think of when Chad is mentioned?  Failed state.  These are the guys helping the largest economy on the continent to recover lost towns.  I had never realized just how low Naija's military has sunk.

I think the US would only intervene if the oil production in the South is threatened.  That said, it is indeed incredible how these folks bad mouth the US on the one had, begging bowl extended in the other.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
The truly humiliating thing about Naija is not even the US.  It is Chad.  What do you think of when Chad is mentioned?  Failed state.  These are the guys helping the largest economy on the continent to recover lost towns.  I had never realized just how low Naija's military has sunk.

I think the US would only intervene if the oil production in the South is threatened.  That said, it is indeed incredible how these folks bad mouth the US on the one had, begging bowl extended in the other.

The Chadians are a breed with a martial tradition. These are folks who meted out resounding defeats to Gaddafi's over-equipped forces in successive battles in 1983, '84, and the clincher being the battle of 1986, where the Chadians seized $1 billion worth of military hardware as Gaddafi's boys fled across the sand dunes of the Sahara.

Years from now when history is written the Nigeria v. Boko Haram fight will be a case study at military academies and MBA management courses of how poor leadership - civilian and military - can contribute to disastrous results. First, the indecisiveness and ineptitude of one Goodluck Jonathan. Second, the ineptitude and incompetence of the Nigerian High Command.

See, Jonathan should have been at the forefront boosting the morale of his army - proving from the outset what a couple of years ago that he was on top of things. It would also seem that his generals failed to maintain military cohesion; command and control was virtually nonexistent.