Author Topic: Interesting, Fresh, No Boxes Leadership by Chumo at Kenya Power  (Read 2482 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Interesting, Fresh, No Boxes Leadership by Chumo at Kenya Power
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
this is unlike any nyeuthi earning more than 40k and swinging on a CEO chair, driving big car

Chumo who says his management style is all about simplicity, then broke down the entire network into 800 feeders (distribution lines), gave all of them a unique identity for reference purposes and assigned each to an individual in the company to be in charge of.

"This is important so that people can be held accountable for the outages. For example we say line A to B and anything along that line whether transformer, re-conducturing, routine maintenance will be the responsibility of that individual we shall assign to it, whom we call feeder incharges," explains Chumo.

He then oversaw overhaul of the IT system and put in place a new one to monitor the performance of power feeder lines.

That system's report function is synchronised to his phone and that is why he receives alerts via text messages any time any of the 800 feeders has an outage.

"Like now you see here, Indigo X Babadogo line went out at 9.59am and came back at 10.03, that is about four minutes...this way we can calculate total time a feeder is out and also the amount of money lost during that time because anytime a customer is not getting power we are losing revenue," says Chumo as he displays the text messages.

"We did this so that our staff is sensitive to what we lose when we don't respond in time. We are breaking down the cost of outages."

Under this method, Kenya Power through its own internal evaluation reveals that blackouts have drastically reduced over the last one year by over 50 per cent.

So efficient is the monitoring system that it can also trace the number of phone calls generated per line.

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/blackouts-will-be-thing-past-pledges-chumo

there is hope if the cartels can go easy and if he can spearhead true split of the company to regions
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Interesting, Fresh, No Boxes Leadership by Chumo at Kenya Power
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
That is refreshings. Most of our problems can be solved by such simple commonsensical approach.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
The last time I checked power outages were as normal as before.

Chumo needs to do more than re-arrange the furniture. He has to replace all the cheap transformers that Gichuru bought from third rate dealers as he hustled to increase his "cut". If you go to Kericho in the Mzungu estates, the transformers installed can withstand any amount of lightening.  The reason is simple: Mzungu told off Gichuru and complained to Moi directly. I bet you blackouts in that area are rare and may only happen because of weaknesses upstream.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
Indeed there is no way of independently verifying what Ben CHumo is claiming. The Energy Regulato (ERC)r is deep in slumber. They should be monitoring and publishing such figures.

Tea estates...Mzungu have their own internally generated power...they have power stations enough to ran their operations and stuff like blackout are unheard of.

As for kericho area...it a mess...the problem in many rural areas is partly how we use power...most kenyans uses power for 2hrs...btw 7-9pm..and they fry the transformers in the process....while they've barely used a unit...the rest of the day....zero power usage....so KPLC has to hire disel generators for those two hrs.

We need a business model that works for rural kenya....considering the really low usage and the pecurality.

The last time I checked power outages were as normal as before.

Chumo needs to do more than re-arrange the furniture. He has to replace all the cheap transformers that Gichuru bought from third rate dealers as he hustled to increase his "cut". If you go to Kericho in the Mzungu estates, the transformers installed can withstand any amount of lightening.  The reason is simple: Mzungu told off Gichuru and complained to Moi directly. I bet you blackouts in that area are rare and may only happen because of weaknesses upstream.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
A good start.  It's a bit surprising that this kind of thing has not been in place all along.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Anything that can stop the bleeding that that company was subjected to is welcome. Chumo's greatest achievement has been to stop the bleeding. I see the company has new cars and trucks and things are moving.

However the company is too big and has taken on roles it could do away with. It should not be laying out poles and doing connections other than installing meters.

They can't manage the transmission so they should get out of it and concentrate on selling electricity to consumers. They could invest in generation in partnership with County governments. There are still many rivers to dam and many forests to plant and harvest.

Some other entity should manage the network and charge power companies for usage the way cars pay road licenses (via Mafuta).
A good start.  It's a bit surprising that this kind of thing has not been in place all along.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
KPLC is losing money?
He must be from....
Anyway he my kinda peoples