Author Topic: Let's Pray  (Read 7457 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Let's Pray
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Good morning church,
Our reading today is from the book of Luka

Luke 16:27-31 (KJV)
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

A good definition of a cult would be a group of people gathered around a person's (mis)interpretation of the Scriptures. There is always a central personality or institution where they derive their doctrines from. The disciples were identified with Christ so to some extent they may be regarded as a cult. The difference is, that was the birth of Christianity. There is no such excuse today.

A particular trend I have observed among these groups is what we may call 'confirmation bias'. One way of propagating their faith is by claiming the miraculous, some urban legends about people who subscribed to their doctrine and received a miracle. The Catholics and their rosaries 'miracles' are well known. Mormons too. One negro back in college almost killed me with 'testimonies' of how Soya healed arthritis,how vegetarianism as taught by Ellen White boosted memory and performance in school. Evangelicals and their tithing 'miracles', how negro wrote a check on an empty account 'by faith' and found some mysterious deposit enough to clear they check!

While 'miracles' and 'testimonies' are not of themselves wrong, they assume a HIGH relevance among these groups or unbiblical doctrines. It is almost as if their faith is so weak and it needs 'support' from these tangible 'proofs'.

Back to our text which I believe is a parable. The dead man in hell is pleading with Abraham on behalf of his living relations who he fears may join him in torment. He requests that Lazarus go back from the dead and convince his 5 brothers of the reality of hell and probably change their hearts.

Abraham responds by stating that they already have the Law and the Prophets which should suffice. The Rich man persists. He says that ABOVE the scriptures, a resurrection would convince them. Abraham delivers a devastating TRUTH; If the living don't follow scriptures, miracles including a resurrection will not change them.

If you are so unsettled in your faith that you need validation from 'testimonies', then it's highly likely that you are clinging to an aberration of the gospel. The scriptures are sufficient to lead a man to God and NOTHING can substitute them. Not even spectacular miracles.

Have a blessed Confirmation-bias & urban-legend free Lord's Day as you worship the Lamb who takes away the sins of the world(John 1:29)
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.