Author Topic: Let's Pray  (Read 8027 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Let's Pray
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Good morning church,

Hebrews 4:15-16 (ESV)
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

The book of Hebrews sets to highlight the superiority of Christianity over Judaism. It shows how the Christian Faith is so many notches above Judaism. To accomplish this, the author constantly contrasts the new and old covenant.

Since Jesus Christ is the all Christianity is about, he gives more attention to his person, work, office especially his priesthood.

In the old Mosaic covenant, the priest was the mediator between man and God. He taught the Law, sacrifices went through the priest. This means your devotion to God was as good as the priesthood.

In this particular verse,we are told that Jesus as a high priest, sympathizes with, is familiar with our weaknesses or frailties and this should give us confidence in approaching God through him. The verses also tells us that he sympathizes with us because he was equally tempted as we are yet he did not sin. So he is a model for those facing trials.

And finally, as a result of all this, we should BOLDLY approach God and find grace and mercy in our time of need. Note that this does not mean visiting heavens. This publican/tax-collector approached God in prayer right here on earth...

Luke 18:13-14(KJV)
 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other:

And he was heard. If he was heard and justified BEFORE Christ was the High Priest, how much more now that Christ is our high priest!

So, today, when you need mercy especially when you have failed, when you need grace/favor, Jesus Christ is the answer.

Have a blessed Lord's Day and may you and your family testify of God's mercy and Grace TODAY as you worship the King Eternal,Invisible,Immortal, the Only Wise God(1Tim 1:17)

And to the family of the slain MP, may the Lord of Glory COMFORT you as you mourn.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »

A Kenyan aping a Naija singing.  This is the bane of Kenyan music.  One can always listen to the original thing.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
Yes Termie,
One can argue that authenticity is the way to go, but then again, it could be a simple case of strong genres developing in Naija. Right now all of Africa is infected with Azonto and Palongo.

What's so gospel about this song by an agnostic Jew?

A Kenyan aping a Naija singing.  This is the bane of Kenyan music.  One can always listen to the original thing.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.