Author Topic: Priority - Water or Ipads?  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Priority - Water or Ipads?
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »

MIGORI: The county will use Sh8.44 million to buy iPads for members of the county assembly and Sh106.3 million to pay their allowances, after the assembly passed the supplementary budget last week.

This will enable the 40 elected and 21 nominated ward representatives to get the gadgets before the end of the 2014-2015 financial year.

This comes barely a week after a report by the Commission for Revenue Allocation listed Migori among the counties that had passed the budget ceiling by increasing the wage bill and reducing money for development

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Priority - Water or Ipads?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
Members of the county can save up and buy their own ipads like everyone else. Ridiculous.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »
Kenya has welfare state for the filthy rich ..travel/food/medical/hse/entertainment allowances, bodyguards for all big men already getting obscene salaries and kickbacksand now ipads for illiterate kanjoras while poor are crawling all over ..but well the poor still clap for them everywhere except for a countable alais/mwangis/mutais on twitter/fb
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »
Ipads.  Of course.  To be replaced with the latest version in a few years.  Who needs sanitation, boreholes and water treatment?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »
Ipads.  Of course.  To be replaced with the latest version in a few years.  Who needs sanitation, boreholes and water treatment?

That is how we like maendeleo: shiny high-tech gadgets and other things you can see with your own eyes.      Water?   You just drink it and piss it out.   Toilets?   Who cares when you can dump your load anywhere.    But iPads!  Hio ni maendeleo.   

Diarrhea, caused primarily by the lack of clean water and proper sanitation, remains the second leading cause of death's in Kenya's under-5 children.   But can one tell that from the "vigour" with which it is being addressed.

Things have not changed substantially from a few years ago, when the world was told this:

http://www.irinnews.org/report/88651/kenya-plan-to-halve-infant-diarrhoea-prevalence

But even with the bad news, comes some good news:

USAID

Yes, that "useless" USAID again!     :D

And there are quite a few "useless" international NGOs working hard on the problem. E.g.

http://water.org/country/kenya/

So, let the "big people" enjoy their laptops and whatever, and start demanding that "donors" and "development partners" take more seriously their responsibilities to look after Kenyans.  Otherwise, Kenyans will just have to declare that they have failed and turn East.

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »

That is how we like maendeleo: shiny high-tech gadgets and other things you can see with your own eyes.      Water?   You just drink it and piss it out.   Toilets?   Who cares when you can dump your load anywhere.    But iPads!  Hio ni maendeleo.   

Diarrhea, caused primarily by the lack of clean water and proper sanitation, remains the second leading cause of death's in Kenya's under-5 children.   But can one tell that from the "vigour" with which it is being addressed.

Things have not changed substantially from a few years ago, when the world was told this:

http://www.irinnews.org/report/88651/kenya-plan-to-halve-infant-diarrhoea-prevalence

But even with the bad news, comes some good news:

USAID

Yes, that "useless" USAID again!     :D

And there are quite a few "useless" international NGOs working hard on the problem. E.g.

http://water.org/country/kenya/

So, let the "big people" enjoy their laptops and whatever, and start demanding that "donors" and "development partners" take more seriously their responsibilities to look after Kenyans.  Otherwise, Kenyans will just have to declare that they have failed and turn East.
The idea was that devolution would introduce some variety to mitigate this somewhat depressing Kenyan narrative.  They did not reckon with the homogeneity of Kenyans when it comes to the type of short-sighted folks they like to put into public office.  There is often no other tribe to blame.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »
Kenyans do a fairly decent job firing  on average 70% of their leaders every elections...of course the replacement turns out to be much worse...with regard to wastage of public money.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
Pundit,
Kenyans are soooo greedy. They want all of it now now. Dont care about leaving a few for others. Sonko model. No wonder he is one of the most popular guy in NRB.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »
Yesterday:

MIGORI: The county will use Sh8.44 million to buy iPads for members of the county assembly and Sh106.3 million to pay their allowances, after the assembly passed the supplementary budget last week.

Today, the entirely-preventable:

Six people have died and at least 80 others are in critical condition after an outbreak of cholera in Migori County.
While the disease no longer poses a threat to countries with minimum standards of hygiene, it remains a challenge to countries where access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation cannot be guaranteed

http://www.nation.co.ke/counties/Migori-cholera-Health-Okoth-Obado-Donald-Jaleny/-/1107872/2619594/-/137dkqz/-/index.html
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »
Its as if they are being told something, but being seen in a Range Rover is "class".

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
90% of those gadgets won't have Find My iPhone on...
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »
90% of those gadgets won't have Find My iPhone on...
Interestingly I have never had that application.  Yesterday my phone appeared rather determined to disappear.  It just refused to be easily found, disappearing each time it was found.  How would this application have helped?

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »

1. The one silly use of that is actually finding your missing idevices by logging to icloud.com and making it ring.

2.More important is putting the device in lost mode where your contacts and a mean message is meant to intimidate the new owner into returning it or they can retain a useless gadget. Look up the costs of activation locked gadgets on eBay, dirt cheap

3. The most important use to vooke is, the gadget is completely useless and this deters thieves (if they know this beforehand)

2 and 3 mean everything
I have a 5S with a Houston number. Am keeping it for parts.
Interestingly I have never had that application.  Yesterday my phone appeared rather determined to disappear.  It just refused to be easily found, disappearing each time it was found.  How would this application have helped?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.