Author Topic: Ndemo on Africa food and restaurants  (Read 4490 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Ndemo on Africa food and restaurants
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »
Sound more like franchising..

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/ndemo/-/2274486/2444362/-/2g5mo9z/-/index.html

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
Re: Ndemo on Africa food and restaurants
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
I think ndemo is talking about the entire process of doing something by setting and observing standards like in the food value chain, to develop a sustainable market,like in the case of what restaurants sell,we have to look at the entire value chain:

Contracted farmers for example to observe things certain standards like variety,soil ph to determine fertilizer and good yield,

Post-harvest things like cold chain of how things are moved from the farm at certain temperatures to maintain certain quality,

Following certain standards or cooking styles across boards,

When you observe the three factors (conditional response),you will develop a certain culinary which will attract a sustainable market (due to unconditional response),

In short,if you set standards/rules through a formal market,you will attract a huge sustainable market,

Without Prejudice.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
But who set all those standards? It has to be a franchise like say Kenchic or Kosewe expanding. Kenyans or Africans who have great ideas or business want to protect their turf rather than expanding through franchising. For instance Kosewe can easily stop running the restraurant and franchise it...so you have many mini-kosewe all over the country with SET STANDARDS...high standards for the entire value chain.

I think ndemo is talking about the entire process of doing something by setting and observing standards like in the food value chain, to develop a sustainable market,like in the case of what restaurants sell,we have to look at the entire value chain:

Contracted farmers for example to observe things certain standards like variety,soil ph to determine fertilizer and good yield,

Post-harvest things like cold chain of how things are moved from the farm at certain temperatures to maintain certain quality,

Following certain standards or cooking styles across boards,

When you observe the three factors (conditional response),you will develop a certain culinary which will attract a sustainable market (due to unconditional response),

In short,if you set standards/rules through a formal market,you will attract a huge sustainable market,

Without Prejudice.

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
Setting standards and franchising is very easy,Reason why Kenyans or Africans dont want to expand is because they lack the knowledge/capacity basically in almost all sectors of the economy from subsistence farmers,tailors,mechanics etc etc,
You need specialty solution providers targeting such small businesses to help them expand through capacity development,market linkages and equity financing,

Without Prejudice.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
Such standards are supposed to be set by the Agricultural docket, but again do they even know what they are doing.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
Not when we still rely on the unreliable  rain fed agriculture. Poor infrastructure. Lack of disciple and commitments. No back up plans in case of poor harvests , delivery delays etc.

Right now we are facing a looming shortage of maize in Kenya due to the poor harvest following poor rains and the Maize Lethal Necrosis disease. Yet RV farmers are opposing importation of maize from TZ and UG , so that they can sell their limited stock at extortionate prices to cover their loses.

Bure kabisa

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
I see the reason for borders when it comes to unprocessed food. Anyone should sell within the EA market unimpeded.

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Such standards are supposed to be set by the Agricultural docket, but again do they even know what they are doing.

local exporters focusing on Europe have been doing it under their own initiatives with cooperative groups for ages,if you go to HCDA and EPC,you will find people with all these info,i think its deliberate sabotage,

Without Prejudice.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

local exporters focusing on Europe have been doing it under their own initiatives with cooperative groups for ages,if you go to HCDA and EPC,you will find people with all these info,i think its deliberate sabotage,

Without Prejudice.

I could guess they come under the umbrella of Agricultural docket.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
mwafrika despite his affinity to copying other businesses he can't stomach buying this thing called 'franchise'... maybe we have taken the biblical lies that we are unique too seriously for our own good.....

about turnover in micro businesses ... IMO this accounts for 60% of business failures.... high employee turnover goes both ways... employer not being considerate incentive wise for crowd puller employees.... on other hand the star employee wants high salary ..mainly unsustainable and feels she/he can go start own business given only small capital is needed to start rolling chapatis ..

turnover really kills micro enterprises all over ...nothing is irritating as having to keep explaining what you want daily to new faces .... mi nakula ugali managu ..weka sukuma kidogo...... nakunywa summit ..... ohh ninyoe hivi bakisha kanywele hapa...kila siku ....bure kabisa

now that I have made my maiden post ninyonyeshwe ..naskia matiti ziko
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution