Author Topic: Jubilee To Withdraw Kenya from the ICC  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Jubilee To Withdraw Kenya from the ICC
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Kithure Kindiki
We are not afraid of being tagged as a banana republic.

In case you doubt Kithure Kindiki.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/article-188525/kenyan-prisons-are-dangerous-kindiki#sthash.ncQ83NZk.dpuf
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Jubilee To Withdraw Kenya from the ICC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:28:05 AM »
Again?   Didn't parliament already pass two motions for the withdrawal?
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline chiethakuodha

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
We are sick and tired of this lame apology of a government!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction".

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
Again?   Didn't parliament already pass two motions for the withdrawal?
They say this time they are serious.

I think they want the hustler to be ultimately tried at the African Court of Justice and Human Rights.  They want this court ratified quickly.

Kenya is keen on justice the African way.
So far, only Kenya has signed the amendments to the Malabo Protocol that requires a minimum of 14 signatures, meaning that the delegation faces a race against time to get the requisite numbers before tomorrow.

One that understands that holding African leaders accountable for their crimes is the path to turmoil.
Others speakers among them Thika MP Alice Ng'ang'a, argued that the ICC had become a big hindrance to peace building in Kenya despite the fact that the country "had come of age" after the Jubilee government came to power.
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000149779/kenya-team-lobbies-at-au-summit-to-have-ruto-s-trial-moved-from-icc
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
The mafia pushes for a court of the mafia, by the mafia, for the mafia.  A court fully appraised on justice the African way. 

The basic logic.  If scarface sets up his own courts, the Feds should let him handle his crimes and those of the other mafia families.

If there is a reason why kamwana does not think mutungaroo's courts are up to the task, he does not explain.

He is ready to make Kenya a million dollars poorer to achieve this goal.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Uhuru-Kenyatta-African-Court-of-Justice-and-Human-Rights/-/1064/2609206/-/15qapjj/-/index.html

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:16 AM »
A nice little comedy.    This African Court of Justice and Human Rights has been in the works for 10 years now.  Not much has happened.    The idea was to combine the (a modest joke that exists, but does bugger-all, in Arusha) and the Court of Justice of The African Union (a joke that never even got started).   Oh, GoK has always worked hard to undermine the former court, e.g. when somebody went there with a case on the Ogiek getting screwed; amusing to see a change in tune.

There have always been two major problems, all based on the fact that the Africans, noisy though they are, don't themselves take these things seriously:

* To date, only about half of all countries have "signed up" with the  African Court of Justice and Human Rights.    More than that have "signed up" with the ICC.   

* Hardly anyone has been rushing to sign up on the so-called Malabo Protocol,which supposedly extends the jurisdiction of the 10+-years non-existent court to cover international crimes and gives immunities to Big People.

A part of the "problem" is that some countries are unhappy that the "protocol" does not give them what they want: during the negotiations last year, some countries, being African countries,  wanted "leading a popular uprising" included in the list of the crimes the court should deal with, under "unconstitutional change of government" ...   (There was some disagreement as what would be a legal definition of "popular uprising", so the idea was put on hold until some committee came up with something.)

* The new-and-improved "court's" biggest problem has always been that everyone talks it up but nobody will put in any money.   The idea has always been that "donors" and "development partners" will fund it, but one suspects that they don't see much point in it---and especially not while all sorts of insults are being hurled in their direction.

Uhuru's $1 million won't do much help.   The AU's budgetary figures over the  last few years show that the funds are not there to even run a single trial.

Neither Kenyan nor any other African country will really withdraw from the ICC.   That is just talk, and they know it; just look at Museveni in the last month!   Besides, all those motor-mouth leaders know that if they ever get into trouble, it be far better to be in Europe than at home, running the risk of kienyeji justice.   

So, what is Jubilee's game?

Some time ago, Karim Khan stood up in court, in a public session, and gave the names of those who supposedly fixed Ruto.   And he should know: he has seen whatever the OTP claims to have on Ruto.

Much of the last few court sessions have been "private", at the request of either OTP or Defence.   But enough is emerging to indicate that Team Ruto plans to return to the idea that their man is an innocent victim of nasty PNU types. I expect this to be a key point in their no-case submissions.   

In the circumstances, and considering 2017, it is wise to be seen as attempting to save Ruto: pray for him, urge the ICC to drop his case (with standard threat to withdraw), support an African court that would (supposedly) take over the cases, etc.   All know that none of that will help, but this is a game of perceptions.  Or so they hope.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Ka-Bella

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »
I really don't see the point of giving the ACJHR criminal jurisdiction if Heads of State and senior government officials are immune right from the start. One imagines that anyone ELSE who might be guilty of international crimes for which there is universal jurisdiction anyway can be easily handled in municipal courts. International tribunals are means to deal with exactly those criminals of the type that African leaders seek to shield. It seems to me that by giving themselves immunity, African leaders are shooting themselves in the foot with this effort to build a specifically African criminal tribunal. Isn't the idea behind this effort to say that Africans can handle THESE cases that the ICC is handling ourselves? So how do you argue that we can handle them ourselves via the ACJHR if the first order of business is to incapacitate the court from handling them ever? Oh, the irony.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:44:06 AM »
looks like TNA will have a hard time trying to placate Ruto camp before August 2017 or is it March 2018 ...after that Ruto can go hang
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution