Author Topic: Challenges facing old Gen X Kenyan in America  (Read 515 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Challenges facing old Gen X Kenyan in America
« on: January 08, 2024, 09:45:47 PM »
1. What to do with Nostalgia of ever wanting to go back to Kenya and retire. That is the biggest concern. The problem with this is most of this generation has spend the past 3 decades living as Americans. Returning to Kenya will require a great effort in reintroducing yourself to Kenya way of life. Your old connections to the old country are gone. Some have adopted a hybrid model where they are spend winter months in Kenya and summer and fall in USA. However this is very expensive and very tough on the body as the flight to Kenya is no joke.flying 14 hours non stop is not easy on the aging body.
The biggest hinderance especially for parents with American born kids is the idea of going back to Kenya and leaving behind your family here. At this stage most of older Gen Xers have no living parents and some may not have any siblings living in Kenya. So who what are they going to Kenya for?  Personally I will get a place int the islands or south America close enough that if I need to exit USA I can but my return won't be taxing

Going to Kenya at 62 years for me is out of question. I do not want to have to struggle to resettle in Kenya at old age.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 12:56:54 AM by KenyanPlato »

Offline patel

• Enigma
Re: Challenges facing old Gen X Kenyan in America
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 11:39:08 PM »
To each his own.  Personally I would advise people to retire back home close to their people. Retire at 62 and head back to Zamunda. SS check is more than sufficient to take care of your aging self plus few concubines.

Offline RV Heavy Hitter!

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 02:31:35 AM »
After working many years in the US, you can pretty much retire anywhere in the globe. SS is about 700-800K shillings on the low end alone. If you have pension and other incomes, you can retire like President!
The future belongs to those who have a quarter of the character and integrity of RV Heavy Hitter!

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 04:35:59 AM »
After working many years in the US, you can pretty much retire anywhere in the globe. SS is about 700-800K shillings on the low end alone. If you have pension and other incomes, you can retire like President!
This is not about money but deciding on where is ideal to retire

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 09:16:58 AM »
1. What to do with Nostalgia of ever wanting to go back to Kenya and retire. That is the biggest concern. The problem with this is most of this generation has spend the past 3 decades living as Americans. Returning to Kenya will require a great effort in reintroducing yourself to Kenya way of life. Your old connections to the old country are gone. Some have adopted a hybrid model where they are spend winter months in Kenya and summer and fall in USA. However this is very expensive and very tough on the body as the flight to Kenya is no joke.flying 14 hours non stop is not easy on the aging body.
The biggest hinderance especially for parents with American born kids is the idea of going back to Kenya and leaving behind your family here. At this stage most of older Gen Xers have no living parents and some may not have any siblings living in Kenya. So who what are they going to Kenya for?  Personally I will get a place int the islands or south America close enough that if I need to exit USA I can but my return won't be taxing

Going to Kenya at 62 years for me is out of question. I do not want to have to struggle to resettle in Kenya at old age.

What were you doing 10 years ago? The last opportunity to set yourself up for retirement is 50 years. That is when you should have put in motion any resettlement plans. At that time you are old but still youthful enough to engage in the rigours of building a mansion. Having money & SS at 62 only sets you up for rampant Conmanship you will find urking in Zamunda when your energy levels are greatly diminished and not sharp enough to counter these heartless souls). Unlike many narcissists who come here to dish out matusi left right & centre, yours truly is here to pick up wisdom in the discourse and learn from the experience of others and what they share here. I recall in 2007 @TrueRV touting how he buys land and sells. I got right into that business.What I bought in 2008 pre-devolution s a fortune now. God bless his soul for opening our eyes on that. Those of you in your 40s (I don't  mean the cons who have been 40 for the last 10 years or more on Nipate - mnajijua!) my advice to you is come to this wall with a progressive & open mind. You will be grateful for the community we have here.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 03:56:03 PM »
Re-read my post. I am going sell my investment in Kenya. I can't live in Kenya. I never had plans to. My post is from what I am seeing old Gen Xers going thru. My aim is start a debate on what a person with means to retire in Kenya or anywhere else should do