Author Topic: The greatest Kenyans: 1963-present  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
Re: The greatest Kenyans: 1963-present
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
@ Reticent, my host family in Kenya told me of a Kiswahili word for corruption in the 1960s or 1970s whatchamacallit?!

Do these words ring a bell?-- ufisadi and rushwa mean corruption, and hongo is bribery.

In the 1970's magendo was the trade in smuggled coffee from Uganda. Another word for trade in contraband was karafuu, which literally means cloves.

Magendo is the word I was searching for, thanks. Why do Kenyans say Bazungu and not Wazungu?

All in all, Wazungu and Bazungu mean the same thing, white people-- the latter variation, Bazungu, is prevalent in Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, where differences in KiSwahili pronounciation and vocabulary is due to the influence of local languages.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:40 AM »
@ Reticent, my host family in Kenya told me of a Kiswahili word for corruption in the 1960s or 1970s whatchamacallit?!

Do these words ring a bell?-- ufisadi and rushwa mean corruption, and hongo is bribery.

In the 1970's magendo was the trade in smuggled coffee from Uganda. Another word for trade in contraband was karafuu, which literally means cloves.

Magendo is the word I was searching for, thanks. Why do Kenyans say Bazungu and not Wazungu?

All in all, Wazungu and Bazungu mean the same thing, white people-- the latter variation, Bazungu, is prevalent in Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, where differences in KiSwahili pronounciation and vocabulary is due to the influence of local languages.

Thanks for the info.

I am also looking for any ideas that can help me substantiate the thesis with an audiovisual component depicting some artistic work from the area. Thanks in advance

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
One of the things Kenya is best known for, and always makes Kenyans all over the world proud, is athletics.     If I were to list great Kenyans, I'd include those who started Kenya on that path (at the international level).   Include Kip Keino.

The start was Kip Keino tearing it up and teaching American-Great Jim Ryun a good lesson:

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 02:11:27 AM »
One of the things Kenya is best known for, and always makes Kenyans all over the world proud, is athletics.     If I were to list great Kenyans, I'd include those who started Kenya on that path (at the international level).   Include Kip Keino.

The start was Kip Keino tearing it up and teaching American-Great Jim Ryun a good lesson:

OMG, I've never seen such graceful and effortless running, ever! It's as if he's decided not to leave a single trace on the terrain he's running and, at the end of the race while the others are huffing and puffing he has a smile on his face!

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
Jaramogi pragmatically knew with the kikuyus having gone into the forest to fight and suffered the blunt of beberu there was no way he was going to be a prime minister in Kenya ... kenya was then a kikuyu nation and though beberu was deluded Jaramogi was clear in his mind that he would be seen just as a black governor

Of the other names mentioned the one that rings a bell is Odinga Oginga  - the first VP of the Republic. I find it hard to place him as he comes across as highly principled, a man of integrity albeit lacking in guile and ambition and somehow too deferential to the first president Jomo Kenyatta. I can't understand why he didn't take up the presidency when the British colonials offered it to him on a silver platter instaed opting to give it Kenyatta. Where's the fire in the belly?

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

• Superstar
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:29 AM »

Thanks for the info.

I am also looking for any ideas that can help me substantiate the thesis with an audiovisual component depicting some artistic work from the area. Thanks in advance

Here's some artistic work depicting music of different genres from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
And Uganda here:
And "my" Tanzanians here:

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 01:10:23 AM »

Thanks for the info.

Here's some artistic work depicting music of different genres from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
And Uganda here:

This is good stuff, but would you by chance have something that denotes a more traditional Kenyan music, say, conveys the particular ethnic style and origin of the artist or artists?

• Superstar
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »

Thanks for the info.

And Uganda here:

This is good stuff, but would you by chance have something that denotes a more traditional Kenyan music, say, conveys the particular ethnic style and origin of the artist or artists?

I wasn't sure what you were looking for -- that said, are these authentic enough:

Or this
Both sets of musicians capture the ethnic music style of the Luo people who transcend Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and South Sudan. In your opinion, would you consider the ones at the bottom to be more "authentic" than the Nihonjin?

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 02:05:10 AM »
[/quote]

And Uganda here:
And "my" Tanzanians here: [/quote]

[/quote]

I wasn't sure what you were looking for -- that said, are these authentic enough:

Or this
Both sets of musicians capture the ethnic music style of the Luo people who transcend Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and South Sudan. In your opinion, would you consider the ones at the bottom to be more "authentic" than the Nihonjin?
[/quote]

@ Reticent
This is what I have been looking for and will use both examples of the great music for the thesis, which I am on the verge of wrapping up this spring break week. I still can't get over the fact that the Japanese gal was able to pick up the language and play a traditional instrument as well as a native would! So, in my mind, she is authentic. Greatly appreciated  :)