Author Topic: The greatest Kenyans: 1963-present  (Read 9954 times)

Offline ChinaZee

The greatest Kenyans: 1963-present
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »
I was in Kenya in 2012-13 on a college study abroad program and wanted to immerse myself in the culture and society, as well as do some prep work for my senior thesis in ethnography due in spring 2015.

From time to time I will be posing questions o you sages on site. Here goes: Greatest Kenyans since independence: Tom Mboya, Philip Ndegwa, Wangari Maathai, Oki Ombaka (sp).

What do you think?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: The greatest Kenyans: 1963-present
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM »
Remove Philip Ndegwa and you list would be just fine.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
I would add Jaramogi Oginga Odinga.  Martin Shikuku.  JM Kariuki.  Jean Marie Seroney.  Alexander Muge.

These men had balls of steel.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
Remove Mboya and I will look at the rest. He blocked my view
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
Mboya was a bit like Kidero minus Mumias riches.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
Mboya died a very wealthy man. Sadly the wealth disintegrated.

Mboya was a bit like Kidero minus Mumias riches.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 02:30:13 AM »

I opt for a two pronged approach to analyzing Kenya. One, the period from 1963-1978, and the second is from 1979-present.

For purposes of my research paper, I restrict the principals to the top four people most instrumental for being the greatest in those periods. Tom Mboya clearly stands out as the brains behind the development state post-independence: his vision for a Kenya with trained manpower; and the fact that he traversed the world raising capital resources for development puts him heads and shoulders above everyone else; Philip Ndegwa his able technocratic assistance.

The second group is arguable, but Maathai deserves being in my illustrious four because of her principled stand against the Daniel Moi regime. Oki Ombaka is in my opinion, the intellectual guru behind the constitutional process that ushered in the collapse of the all powerful one-party KANU state.

Of the other names mentioned the one that rings a bell is Odinga Oginga  - the first VP of the Republic. I find it hard to place him as he comes across as highly principled, a man of integrity albeit lacking in guile and ambition and somehow too deferential to the first president Jomo Kenyatta. I can't understand why he didn't take up the presidency when the British colonials offered it to him on a silver platter instaed opting to give it Kenyatta. Where's the fire in the belly?

Honorable mentions per my yardstick are Markhan Singh and Pio Gama Pinto.

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

Are you working on one research subject or two? From my vantage point, you do mention ethnography which'd appear to be anthropology-cum-sociology related, while your second topic could run the gamut from poli-sci to sociology or political economy.

Q: If I may be so bold as to ask-- Are you Zhongguo or one of us variegated Americans?

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:10:58 AM »

Are you working on one research subject or two? From my vantage point, you do mention ethnography which'd appear to be anthropology-cum-sociology related, while your second topic could run the gamut from poli-sci to sociology or political economy.

Q: If I may be so bold as to ask-- Are you Zhongguo or one of us variegated Americans?

The topic for my senior thesis is ethnocentrism and exclusion in the Kenyan public sector, analyzed from a critical ethnography perspective. Do you have any research suggestions?

My question on the greatest Kenyans was simply to help me fill the gaps on an interterm independent study that I had been working on over the December break.

Oh, you know about China? I am a full-fledged American but my origin is Chinese.

• Superstar
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »

The topic for my senior thesis is ethnocentrism and exclusion in the Kenyan public sector, analyzed from a critical ethnography perspective. Do you have any research suggestions?

My question on the greatest Kenyans was simply to help me fill the gaps on an interterm independent study that I had been working on over the December break.

Oh, you know about China? I am a full-fledged American but my origin is Chinese.

Ref: China - My first visit to that country was many moons ago when Deng Xiaoping ruled the roost; a totally different country from what it is today.

On your research suggestions-- am almost 99% sure that I do have in my library literature that might assist you with your thesis topic. Btw, I know for sure that you'll need to use regression analysis and, secondly, I would also suggest that you change the public sector to civil service-- the former is unwieldy as it encompasses the military, police, state owned enterprises, etc.

This is belated, but I had to answer the question on the greatest Kenyans by pointing out that mine is a disparate group w/ features thus:-

- Precedent setting
- Truth telling (veracity)
- No venality
- No tribalism
- Steadfastness of purpose (courageous)
- IQ

The list:-

1. Tom Mboya
2. Masinde Muliro
3. Jean-Marie Seroney
4. Oki Ooko Ombaka
5. Chege Kibachia
6. Wangari Maathai
7. Chegat Mutai

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:35:49 AM »

Ref: China - My first visit to that country was many moons ago when Deng Xiaoping ruled the roost; a totally different country from what it is today.

On your research suggestions-- am almost 99% sure that I do have in my library literature that might assist you with your thesis topic. Btw, I know for sure that you'll need to use regression analysis and, secondly, I would also suggest that you change the public sector to civil service-- the former is unwieldy as it encompasses the military, police, state owned enterprises, etc.

This is belated, but I had to answer the question on the greatest Kenyans by pointing out that mine is a disparate group w/ features thus:-

- Precedent setting
- No venality
- No tribalism
- IQ

1. Tom Mboya
2. Masinde Muliro
3. Jean-Marie Seroney
4. Oki Ooko Ombaka
5. Chege Kibachia
6. Wangari Maathai
7. Chegat Mutai

@ Reticent, I have factored in the public sector into my research design. I'm looking forward to your reference suggestions.

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »
Kenyatta,
Kibaki,
Uhuru,

Without Prejudice.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »
Vooke, vooke,vooKe
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Superstar
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »

- Precedent setting
- No venality
- No tribalism
- IQ

1. Tom Mboya
2. Masinde Muliro
3. Jean-Marie Seroney
4. Oki Ooko Ombaka
5. Chege Kibachia
6. Wangari Maathai
7. Chegat Mutai

@ Reticent, I have factored in the public sector into my research design. I'm looking forward to your reference suggestions.

Here is the first tranche of selected bibliography that I unearthed from the depths of my library and thought might be of assistance with your thesis: ethnicity and exclusion in the Kenyan public sector.

Note: not filed alphabetically or chronologically.

- David E. Apter, ed., Ideology and Discontent, New York: The Free Press, 1964.

- Susanne K. Langer, Philosophy in a New Key: A Study in the Symbolism of Reason, Rite and Art, 1942.

- Clyde Kluchon, Mirror for Men: The Relation of Anthropology to Modern Life, 1959.

- Anthony P. Cohen, The Management of Myths: The Politics of Legitimation.....,1959.

- Aidan W. Southall, in Peter C.W. Gutkind (ed) The Passing of Tribal Man in Africa, "The Illusion of Tribe," see also Jrl. of Asian and African Studies, V, nos. 1-2 (Jan-April 1970),   pp.28-50.

• Superstar
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
Here is the second installment of the select bibliography. Not listed in alphabetical or chronological order.

- Edward O. Wilson. Sociobiology: The New Synthesis, Harvard University Press, 1975.

- Robert A. Levine & Donald T. Campbell, Theories of Conflict, Ethnic Attitudes, and Group Behavior. New York, 1972.

- Frederik Barth (ed.) Ethnic Groups and Boundaries - The Social Organization of Culture Difference. Oslo, 1969.

- Albert H. Halsey. 1978 'Ethnicity: A Primordial Bond'? Ethnic & Racial Studies, Vol.1. No.1, pp.124-8.

- James McKay. 1982. 'An Exploratory Synthesis of Primordial & Mobilizationist Approaches to Ethnic Phenomena', Ethnic & Racial
  Studies, Vol. 5. No.4, pp.395-420.

- Richard A. Schermerhorn, Comparative Ethnic Relations: A Framework for Theory and Research. University of Chicago Press, 1979.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
You'd probably fare better career wise studying the most "evil" Kenyans. "Evil" seems to be a trending topic these days. Interesting collection you have there though. . my suggestion is to collaborate with OO from Jukwaa. He knows Kenyan history like the back of his hand. I recall he wrote a book for the BBC on Kenya's political history.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »
Here is the second installment of the select bibliography. Not listed in alphabetical or chronological order.

- Edward O. Wilson. Sociobiology: The New Synthesis, Harvard University Press, 1975.

- Robert A. Levine & Donald T. Campbell, Theories of Conflict, Ethnic Attitudes, and Group Behavior. New York, 1972.

- Frederik Barth (ed.) Ethnic Groups and Boundaries - The Social Organization of Culture Difference. Oslo, 1969.

- Albert H. Halsey. 1978 'Ethnicity: A Primordial Bond'? Ethnic & Racial Studies, Vol.1. No.1, pp.124-8.

- James McKay. 1982. 'An Exploratory Synthesis of Primordial & Mobilizationist Approaches to Ethnic Phenomena', Ethnic & Racial
  Studies, Vol. 5. No.4, pp.395-420.

- Richard A. Schermerhorn, Comparative Ethnic Relations: A Framework for Theory and Research. University of Chicago Press, 1979.

OMG thank you so much for both sets of reading suggestions  :)  Gosh just wish I had thirty hours a day to work on the thesis!

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 02:12:18 AM »
@ Reticent, my host family in Kenya told me of a Kiswahili word for corruption in the 1960s or 1970s whatchamacallit?!

• Superstar
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
@ Reticent, my host family in Kenya told me of a Kiswahili word for corruption in the 1960s or 1970s whatchamacallit?!

Do these words ring a bell?-- ufisadi and rushwa mean corruption, and hongo is bribery.

In the 1970's magendo was the trade in smuggled coffee from Uganda. Another word for trade in contraband was karafuu, which literally means cloves.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »

Do these words ring a bell?-- ufisadi and rushwa mean corruption, and hongo is bribery.

In the 1970's magendo was the trade in smuggled coffee from Uganda. Another word for trade in contraband was karafuu, which literally means cloves.

Magendo is the word I was searching for, thanks. Why do Kenyans say Bazungu and not Wazungu?