Author Topic: What if I cant pay my bills?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
What if I cant pay my bills?
« on: April 11, 2023, 05:42:37 PM »
Will they take port of Srilanka??
Or uganda?

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/11/china-lending-imf-world-bank-00090588

Offline mankind

• Superstar
Re: What if I cant pay my bills?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 10:10:54 PM »
 I hope you know that story about Hambatota port in Srilanka was based on half truths.  The Chinese bailed out srilanka from defaulting on debt due to other lenders in exchange for operating the port on lease for 99 or so years.  Note that the prevailing narrative that the Chinese deliberately put Srilanka on debt in order to grab the port is hogwash. 

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 02:24:42 PM »
I hope you know that story about Hambatota port in Srilanka was based on half truths.  The Chinese bailed out srilanka from defaulting on debt due to other lenders in exchange for operating the port on lease for 99 or so years.  Note that the prevailing narrative that the Chinese deliberately put Srilanka on debt in order to grab the port is hogwash. 

India got involved in the Srilanka case, so there's no hogwash. Any collateral?
What happens if they cant pay the debt??

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 03:01:12 PM »
Yes, I think China were given the port to run it; that is what should happen; if kenya cannot pay for SGR; Chinese can assume its PPP - use it for 30yrs - give it back to Kenya.

Offline mankind

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 05:36:27 PM »

I  hope you understood what I called hogwash.  The insinuation that China took over the port because Srilanka couldn't pay a debt owed to the Chinese is pure bullshit.  Srilanka like any other country had debt from other countries including India that were due for payment.  They asked the Chinese to bail them out in exchange for the Chinese taking over the port on lease. Context is key here.