Forum > Kenya Discussion

Planting season. Ukulima is sweet

<< < (2/27) > >>

.:

--- Quote from: RV Heavy Hitter! on March 28, 2023, 03:59:23 PM ---No country on earth beats the USA for organics and fresh foods. It is arguably the only nation on earth where Mursik, Sukuma wiki, Cabbage, Unga, beans, yams, sweet potatoes, and all the delicacies are always available 24/7 in stores and farmers' markets. I have been shopping and eating organic foods for 20+ years, and not a single day I went to the farmers market or grocery store and missed. To make it sweet, they are cheap, high quality, and can be delivered to your house nowadays. The food distribution network in the USA is just on another level. Even in the smallest town like Lolita, Texas, Mursik is always on the shelf!

--- End quote ---

hehehehehe may be true shida ni TSA is poisoned through and through. Even the groundwater there is poisoned so you may think you're getting organic kumbe iko na; Radon, lead, copper arsenate, and of course kina Monsanto's roundup from neighbouring farms. Isapite. Remember TSA has been an industrialized country for 200 years+ so all that pollution has accumulated in its soil for the longest. Your best bet is to get a shamba out in the super-boonies (hard to find in USA) and plant your yams there with rain water or grow your own stuff in clay pots nyuma ya nyumba. Supermarket stuff is worse than poison man. GMO especially. Unfortunately GMO is now 95% of the food source for Hamellicanos, that's why all sorts of crazy diseases like ADHD, bipolar, autism and so on are booming hapo, sadly. That being said I do miss some unhealthyTSA foods. Like a cheese dripping In-n-out burger with all the trimmings. Hauuuwi. Very delicious.

.:

--- Quote from: RV Pundit on March 28, 2023, 04:30:55 PM ---Nice!
Is this profitable or just a hobby?

--- End quote ---

Hobby tu for now. More of a getaway spot from the stress of Kanairo

.:

--- Quote from: Kapcheptoror on March 28, 2023, 06:47:29 PM ---
  Oldie,

hiyo msos wacha tu, you have really gone full circle, conquered the world and now soaking up the fresh air where it all started, on your own terms.  Kwani uko Nyandarua ?

--- End quote ---

Niko Maasaini ndani ndaaani ndaani kafsa.
Isn't that how life is supposed to be :D?
You leave Kwiinya, experience all sorts of things,
demystify all those myths about the grass being greener majuu,
then come back and enjoy your country fully.

“What do they know of England, who only England know?”
? Rudyard Kipling

I found my appreciation for Kwiinya increased incredibly after majuu experience
Every place has its troubles, but Kwiinya is special because it's home  :D

RV Pundit:
Man, everytime I think about roundup I am being told to buy, after losing my sister and father to cancer, and many people.

I want to retire in farms but for round up...I see rural kenya where I come from...I see cancer...poluted with roundup...everywhere sprayed.

Anyway only business that works in kwinya is trees and tree seedlings.

Come august - I will retire to growing largest tree seedlings.

ingine is a pite.

.:

--- Quote from: cookie1 on March 28, 2023, 07:46:44 PM ---Oldie, kwiinya ni shida tupu.

There are good things like you mentioned but there are more mbad things that outweigh the ngood. That country if you ask me is a shithole. You're ndealing with primitivos left right and center. Mara there is no water, sinjui sitima zimepotea, you are constantly evading suicidal motorists, porice everywhere wanting to extract chai.

That fresh water you are yapping about is contaminated with fecal matter, ni vile no one has tested it. Boreholes are side by side with septic tanks, run off water in mashinani iko na kinyesi. What you call organic has been ngrown with fertilizer and chemicals. In kwiinya, small scale farmers and peasants are not organic farmers

Yues is paradise, we have everything you have and more except the good weather. If you have maney come I show you good praces to retire right here in the yues. Kwiinya is for safari and adventure when you want to experience vumbi and kidogo hardship.

--- End quote ---

:roll:

This debate has been had miaka nenda miaka rudi since the early hallaceebee days
In fact I used to be on your side of the debate for the first ten years in Yues  :D
But age and time mellows most of us
Yues ni stress blo. Honest peepo can at least admit to that.
The beauty of Kwiinya is that it's like the American Wild Wild West when Cali was experiencing its gold rush - virgin land (and spirit) everywhere. Only your imagination limits ya.
As nimesema many times before, in Kwiinya you can buy a huge piece of land affordably, fence it with trees/kayafa/bougainvillea and build your own mini-kingdom hapo hapo from scratch
In Yues a battered 100 foot square plot anywhere costs an arm and a leg. Unless you wanna buy one in the rough ghettos (Yikes) or the Arizona desert
And we debated  to pieces the peace of mind and social capital (as Pundito calls it) in Kwiinya vs the stress tupu of not even knowing your neighbour's name in Yues despite living side by side with them for 20 years.! Isatragedy
Those Yues islands and stuff are nice lakini you still can't escape empty, soulless, flippant, individualistic American culture hapo.
And once you cross 70, even your own kids want nothing to do with you
Straight to the crummy nursing homes to be taken care of by CNAs you go
Lakini kila nyani na starehe zage

Ni hayo tu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version