Author Topic: Parliamentary Committees  (Read 4612 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Parliamentary Committees
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
Are they independent?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Parliamentary Committees
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
What do you think?

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
I have never heard CORD complain about them but suddenly they are up in arms over the same committee they was part of
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Jubilee-and-Cord-headed-for-clash-on-security-law/-/1064/2560610/-/39t7m5/-/index.html
What do you think?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
This to me is beyond partisan divide; this is about rejecting dangerous laws such as allowing NIS to detain suspect for a year without trial amongst many other really outragous ammendments.

What Jubillee are attempting is crossing the red line. Their suggestions are totally indefensible.

We do not gain our freedoms and rights for Jubilee to take them one afternoon.

This is the point where some of us part ways with Jubilee.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
I don't support the bill in its entirety and CORD's argument that corruption is the elephant in the room and not legislation makes most sense. But am interested in what goes on in these committees. CORD has never complained of being elbowed out or nothing. Should they sit through the proposed amendments one by one for hours only to pretend they were never part of that? Looks like they went with set minds. SImilar to what happened at KICC over the retallying exercise. Both PNU and ODM nominees agreed and 'resolved' the differences only to reject them in the morning.

This to me is beyond partisan divide; this is about rejecting dangerous laws such as allowing NIS to detain suspect for a year without trial amongst many other really outragous ammendments.

What Jubillee are attempting is crossing the red line. Their suggestions are totally indefensible.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »
Are they independent?
Movie goers should have helped us ask Eddie the Prince before he left Zamunda (too bad he doesn't pick local calls). Is it possible that the empress allowed or facilitated some things to happen to justify new laws? That is the question.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
Prior to this new bunge, the standing orders provided for an opposition majority. Marende and some idiots seeking to please somebody or having taken bribes from Jubilee changed the SOs one night. Most MPs were busy foraging for campaign cash and never even noticed until the new bunge convened. What CORD discovered is exactly the lesson they are trying to imbue in Jubilee over the new laws - Never make laws or rules to suit you and disadvantage your opponent because the roles could be reversed!

Thus the opposition is confined to the minority and the government has the majority and the chair. The PSC is chaired by CORD by local arrangement but with a jubilee majority.

Another ugly development is the decision by Jubilee to buy off CORD MPs and then deny CORD the power to de-whip the disloyal MPs. Thus we have MPs ostensibly representing CORD but in reality voting machines for Jubilee. These include Mung'aro and Onyonka.

Thus the avenues for peaceful and orderly opposition have been narrowed and they continue to narrow. Jubilee is not leaving any valves available. For CORD to breath with the nose and butt shut requires an explosion.
I don't support the bill in its entirety and CORD's argument that corruption is the elephant in the room and not legislation makes most sense. But am interested in what goes on in these committees. CORD has never complained of being elbowed out or nothing. Should they sit through the proposed amendments one by one for hours only to pretend they were never part of that? Looks like they went with set minds. SImilar to what happened at KICC over the retallying exercise. Both PNU and ODM nominees agreed and 'resolved' the differences only to reject them in the morning.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

Thank you Omorlo. So it was ODM who pushed for a minority position in the committees for the opposition.

But how comes yesterday they could not in the least complain of being outgunned in the committee? It has enough propaganda value. Could it be that they agreed to the amendments at the committee level only to find the 'agreement' unfavorable for CORD or are you saying that the CORD committee members have 'eaten'?
Prior to this new bunge, the standing orders provided for an opposition majority. Marende and some idiots seeking to please somebody or having taken bribes from Jubilee changed the SOs one night. Most MPs were busy foraging for campaign cash and never even noticed until the new bunge convened. What CORD discovered is exactly the lesson they are trying to imbue in Jubilee over the new laws - Never make laws or rules to suit you and disadvantage your opponent because the roles could be reversed!

Thus the opposition is confined to the minority and the government has the majority and the chair. The PSC is chaired by CORD by local arrangement but with a jubilee majority.

Another ugly development is the decision by Jubilee to buy off CORD MPs and then deny CORD the power to de-whip the disloyal MPs. Thus we have MPs ostensibly representing CORD but in reality voting machines for Jubilee. These include Mung'aro and Onyonka.

Thus the avenues for peaceful and orderly opposition have been narrowed and they continue to narrow. Jubilee is not leaving any valves available. For CORD to breath with the nose and butt shut requires an explosion.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Thank you Omorlo. So it was ODM who pushed for a minority position in the committees for the opposition.

But how comes yesterday they could not in the least complain of being outgunned in the committee? It has enough propaganda value. Could it be that they agreed to the amendments at the committee level only to find the 'agreement' unfavorable for CORD or are you saying that the CORD committee members have 'eaten'?
We have a problem of a willingness to accept parliamentary democracy and the principles thereof. This is coming from the top and going down to the begging MP.

Yes ODM made the blunder and as I said I have no idea if TNA arranged it in anticipation of the tyranny of numbers or if a stupid Marende tried to stack the deck. The bottom line is that nobody complained. Not PNU and not ODM.

That said, Jubilee should wake up to the dangers of the opposition lacking an avenue for real opposition. If not what has befallen other nations will pass.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »
Omollo, I think it the constitution that demands part committee reflect party strength..or maybe it's the standing order?

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
ODM screwed up and they are paying. I can't find any such provision in the katiba but then I will look again
Omollo, I think it the constitution that demands part committee reflect party strength..or maybe it's the standing order?

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
Omorlo,
The highlighted. There is some fun in beating your opponent badly but Negro is not ready for civility. I would rather a hung parliament than an absolute majority in future. That way, only decisions that favor both sides or most of both see the day.

It is unrealistic to expect Jubirlee not to flex their numbers even in stupidity. Jubirlee actually appear to do things just because they can and to spite Rayirla.

We have a problem of a willingness to accept parliamentary democracy and the principles thereof. This is coming from the top and going down to the begging MP.

Yes ODM made the blunder and as I said I have no idea if TNA arranged it in anticipation of the tyranny of numbers or if a stupid Marende tried to stack the deck. The bottom line is that nobody complained. Not PNU and not ODM.

That said, Jubilee should wake up to the dangers of the opposition lacking an avenue for real opposition. If not what has befallen other nations will pass.