Author Topic: Kibera transformation...  (Read 4509 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Kibera transformation...
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Hope they can extend to all the slums. Although this is not really National GOV JOB. This is Kidero domain.Kidero is in deep slumber land unveiling visions, strategies and plans 2 yrs after his elections...when not deluding himself that he can take on Raila...through harambees in South Nyanza.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Win-for-Kibera-as-NYS-programme-is-extended-to-June/-/1056/2555290/-/dro414/-/index.html

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Kibera transformation...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
I have issues with these ad hoc politically motivated "development" projects. I have previously raised the question of the in built inequality that this intervention is causing. There are devolved funds for such projects in addition to fees collected from people. Is the National government then not subsidizing, abetting, assisting, supporting, facilitating and aiding corruption and inefficiency? The money meant for that very work has been and is being squandered
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
I agree with Omollo's sentiments on the selective "development" of Kibera over other slums.  In their quest to humiliate, in a strange twist of fate it can be said that Kibera is enjoying a much needed clean up because of and not inspite of Raila Amolo Odinga!

Ow the irony....   :85: :85: :85:

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
Hope they can extend to all the slums. Although this is not really National GOV JOB. This is Kidero domain.Kidero is in deep slumber land unveiling visions, strategies and plans 2 yrs after his elections...when not deluding himself that he can take on Raila...through harambees in South Nyanza.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Win-for-Kibera-as-NYS-programme-is-extended-to-June/-/1056/2555290/-/dro414/-/index.html

Better still, they should involve local youth instead of NYS for such activities.  NYS can initially provide guidance.  This is what the local MP should push for.

As already mentioned, this is really Kidero's work.  kamwana should not be burning scarce resources holding dances at the site with the local MP as the work goes on.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
The dangers of eradicating a slum:

1. It is a slum because rents and goods operate on a different much lower scale
2. Goods and services are not billed in the same way. In fact electricity, water etc are stolen on large scale and "sold" cheaply
3. Rents are low

By removing the slum you are also doing away with these services. What then happens is the slum dwellers move away to set up another slum elsewhere. Property becomes attractive and is sold off to buyers who put up skyscrapers.

Uhuru has openly salivated at the value of property in Kibera. The question is who is he really helping by opening up Kibera?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
so much cheap labour unutulised which falls easily into hands of criminals ... only needs proper guidance ... good to have this mutahi/waiguru/china experimet bearing transformative results in little time .... an antithesis in a place with so much corruption

at least we have an institution that can stand up to all the rest of our corrupt society pillars .... NYS with its few billions will be putting to shame all the rest of MDAs eating up trillions
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
On what authority do you claim that there is no corruption in the on going project? How open is the procurement of goods and services?
so much cheap labour unutulised which falls easily into hands of criminals ... only needs proper guidance ... good to have this mutahi/waiguru/china experimet bearing transformative results in little time .... an antithesis in a place with so much corruption

at least we have an institution that can stand up to all the rest of our corrupt society pillars .... NYS with its few billions will be putting to shame all the rest of MDAs eating up trillions

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »
It is not about absence of corruption ...it is about delivery of tangible results touching on lives in our poor, hereditary corrupt nation

On what authority do you claim that there is no corruption in the on going project? How open is the procurement of goods and services?

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
What is it that has been delivered?
It is not about absence of corruption ...it is about delivery of tangible results touching on lives in our poor, hereditary corrupt nation

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »
now onto Mathare and Mukuru ....

is there a solution to lack of planning,  disorganisation, waste management, water, infrastructure  in all 'towns' in Kenya apart from relocation Abuja way now that demolition will never work? why not take NYS to Konza to develop a city from scratch or will it 'undermine' corrupt govt officials and tenderpreneurs

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
I have still heard from you what it is that was delivered in Kibera.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »
Now onto Nyalenda ... This NYS efforts should be accompanied with titling of the slums.. once title the slum lords will automatically start building multi-storeyed building which can house more people - optimal land use , better sewerage- sceptic tanks, connection to sewer trunk (are the sewers in Kibera still being directed to Nairobi river??) , somewhat dignified living just like rest of brick and mortal ghetoes all over nairobi

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
I saw that they had built some nice apartments there. You can see them when using the Southern Bypass. But these were initiated by Kibaki/Raila era.