Author Topic: American capital has captured Kuria  (Read 1029 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: American capital has captured Kuria
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 05:20:28 PM »
It's just not about students..its about mentality. Two years ago I was helping my sister kid get admitted to diploma college..private do admission on spot..public you wait..then after you are admitted..they call few weeks to admission date to say not enough students. Who said university must teach degree course...why can't not admit diploma students in their thousands like private universities. WE NEED TO SELL THEM NO NON PROFIT..like churches or international universities...we can keep very few

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »
Universities can offer short courses, certificates, name it.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 07:14:11 PM »
It's just not about students..its about mentality. Two years ago I was helping my sister kid get admitted to diploma college..private do admission on spot..public you wait..then after you are admitted..they call few weeks to admission date to say not enough students. Who said university must teach degree course...why can't not admit diploma students in their thousands like private universities. WE NEED TO SELL THEM NO NON PROFIT..like churches or international universities...we can keep very few

that is an administrative issue. needs to be addressed at administration level. public universities should remain pubkic.. they need bailouts, subsidies and innovation. financial management should be a priority. even usa that has ,

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 07:19:55 PM »
Precisely. The worst part is the board that run these public institutions they are never held accountable for bone headed decisions.  Just like you can see Moses Kuria is appointing a certified thief in some boards...I can bet with high confidence level that guy is going to steal or make decisions that will fill his pockets.

that is an administrative issue. needs to be addressed at administration level. public universities should remain pubkic.. they need bailouts, subsidies and innovation. financial management should be a priority. even usa that has ,

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 07:31:06 PM »
All universities including private are public; gov is regulator; and get 30% of all profit made;
Where will we get money to bailout mismanagment.

Gov spending on students is seperate issues from running public institution. Gov will decided who get gov scholarship and who get Loan - money wired irrespective of universities. Gov can also regulate fees charged.

Whatever we do - public SOE will always be mismanaged.

Anyway I am happy gov shares my opinion - and you & Tinga can make makelele

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 08:03:03 PM »
Private universities are not doing better either. Mass failing of students in name of cheating since 2015 is the cause of the cash crunch.

Usual shenanigans of nyeuthi bureaucrats creating problems where there are none and then using hairbrained 'solutions' instead of swallowing the bitter pill that they have failed and resign.

"Since our university is so indebted, we decided that all unserviceable debts be bought off by the church. Kenya Methodist University belongs to the church. So, the church gifted them a piece of land in Nairobi so that they can sell and clear their debts."

"As a result, the church will take over the university property like KeMU towers and KeMU hub. What we are doing is like a barter trade that will see the university debt free," Bishop Ntombura said.

In 2017, KeMU had debts of more than Sh3 billion including Sh1.7 billion owed to suppliers and part-time lecturers, Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) arrears of Sh400 million and an up-to-date bank loan of more than Sh1 billion.
https://nation.africa/kenya/news/methodist-church-we-are-selling-nairobi-land-to-bail-out-kemu-4095230

Zeleza says the model of sponsoring students in private unis is unsustainable. It was sustained by threats and silencing of uni management and unions.

In 2017, the government allowed publicly sponsored students to join private universities. We admitted about 140 such students but withdrew from the scheme a year later as the cost became unsustainable.

https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20220425084059716
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 08:27:12 PM »
Yes decisions to institute mass failure was wrong...maybe gov should minimum university entry to C..for certain courses