Author Topic: Why President Must Obtain Permission from Party to Appoint MPs Ministers  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Say President Raila wants to eliminate term limits and he needs a majority. He falls short by say 21 seats. He could fire his ministers appointed from outside parliament and then carefully appoint sitting MPs from opposition in areas he can win or rig elections. Then proceed to gain the majority he needs to subvert democracy.

This and other checks such as immunity from arrest for MPs and Senators have been granted in many civilized countries to avoid coercion being used to sabotage democracy.

I have in the past proposed the abolition of by elections in Kenya. The mandate granted by voters should belong to the party for the duration of that electoral term. That party can then appoint replacements whenever there occur vacancies. Had this been the case, Nkaisery could accept his job without denting the ODM numbers. There would have been no need to bribe Moses Kuria's opponents. TNAS would have appointed a replacement. It saves money and definitely denies Isaac Hassan any chickens!
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
Re: Why President Must Obtain Permission from Party to Appoint MPs Ministers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
Omollo i agree with you. There should be no by election the governor of the county where the seat falls vacant should be allowed to nominate someone to take over the seat but for that to happen we may have to change the constitution.

On IEBC CORD should not accept to go to any by election with IEBC still in charge of elections. This is time for them to stand up and demanded the corrupt officials to resign and be prosecuted before they can be part of any by election.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
Ole

That is closer to the US system where some states prefer the governor to replace the senator and others prefer a special election (by election). The former is exactly what I wish for. I base it on the mainland European PR election method where the mandate is granted the party and the party dishes out to its list of candidates ranked from one to end.

It is also possible to allow on party members of the party that owns the mandate to vote in a replacement.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
Ole

That is closer to the US system where some states prefer the governor to replace the senator and others prefer a special election (by election). The former is exactly what I wish for. I base it on the mainland European PR election method where the mandate is granted the party and the party dishes out to its list of candidates ranked from one to end.

It is also possible to allow on party members of the party that owns the mandate to vote in a replacement.
Case in point Illinois, which allows the governor to pick a replacement.  Massachusetts calls for a special election.  I think the Illinois version is better for Kenya because it's less expensive and disruptive.

@ole ole,

Who apart from the chicken lovers can legally manage the election?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
i would prefer the governor rather than the party since the governor is an elected official who knows if he screw up people will punish him at the ballot. 

Ole

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
CORD should not be part of any by election until IEBC is disbanded, this is cord turn to draw the line on the sand, they should not
be part of the scam. some smart lawyers should lodge this in court and let the judiciary weighs in if a body that has been figured with the
corruption is competent to hold any elections.

Ole

Case in point Illinois, which allows the governor to pick a replacement.  Massachusetts calls for a special election.  I think the Illinois version is better for Kenya because it's less expensive and disruptive.

@ole ole,

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
What happens when the senator or MP to be replaced comes from a different party? For example  Lamu where the Senator is from TNA while the governor is UDF. What if he names a UDF senator and thus denies TNA one senate seat? This is what has often caused states to keep changing from one system to another. When states see that their senate seat could be lost to a rival party through the governor they often change to special election - especially where they are sure of winning an election. It odes not always work as it was the case with Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts seat.

i would prefer the governor rather than the party since the governor is an elected official who knows if he screw up people will punish him at the ballot. 

Ole

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
CORD should not be part of any by election until IEBC is disbanded, this is cord turn to draw the line on the sand, they should not
be part of the scam. some smart lawyers should lodge this in court and let the judiciary weighs in if a body that has been figured with the

Ole

@ole ole,

I hear you.  But Jubilee will just take the seat and move on like nothing happened.  You are assuming that IEBC and Jubilee have some sort of moral principles.  Kenya is running on fumes when it comes those kinds of things.  The only language they understand is power.  If you can stuff ballot boxes and intimidate IEBC, you might just get their attention.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
Omollo political parties only matter in general elections or where they enjoy tribal fanatical support, as soon as these guys are elected most are bought or switch their allegiance to those in power. Nkaissery was more TNA than TNA mps even though he was elected as ODM MP but more importantly Nkaissery is more loyal to the military than the executive. People should be ready to win or lose some seats in this kind of a deal

What happens when the senator or MP to be replaced comes from a different party? For example  Lamu where the Senator is from TNA while the governor is UDF. What if he names a UDF senator and thus denies TNA one senate seat? This is what has often caused states to keep changing from one system to another. When states see that their senate seat could be lost to a rival party through the governor they often change to special election - especially where they are sure of winning an election. It odes not always work as it was the case with Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts seat.

Ole

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
Terminator, i would rather have CORD let this guys steal the seat outright than take people for a ride through some charade
of by election. CORD should deny them a chance to sanitize their reputation.

Ole

@ole ole,

I hear you.  But Jubilee will just take the seat and move on like nothing happened.  You are assuming that IEBC and Jubilee have some sort of moral principles.  Kenya is running on fumes when it comes those kinds of things.  The only language they understand is power.  If you can stuff ballot boxes and intimidate IEBC, you might just get their attention.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
Which means the military has seized another important brick as they tighten the choke hold on democracy.
Nkaissery is more loyal to the military than the executive. People should be ready to win or lose some seats in this kind of a deal