Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133933 times)

Offline .

• Mega superstar
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »
Culture - International Herb

These songs remind me of that ganja smoking buddy of mine from SwapoLand in my undegrad years. He was reggae (and ganja) obsessed and always had a guitta nearby. One day we walked into a convenience store pamoja and we were locked in (automatic door) and the cops were called because with his huge jacket, scary looking dreads and  weed smell, the cashier feared that he had a gun and we wanted to rob him (a tiny AA guy)! Thankfully when the AA heard the African accent and my buddy showed him he had no gun under his jacket..the AA relaxed and let us go.
He always talked about forming his own band some day. Have not seen him since around 1998.
So you can imagine my SHOCK when I found out he actually has a band that is causing quite a buzz in his country after renaming himself FAIRDREAD HAUKONGO :lolz: 

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
Zulu Mkhathini - Uniform

hehehe DJ Tira still going strog holding his own with the millenials.
Those (dangerous) Gauteng area trains bring back memories.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »
Sting - Fields Of Gold

Mid 90s music! Sting always writes morose, nostalgic songs.

80s music. These song these song these song reminds me of my displaced life hambload craving to come back to my hometown. Dunia ni duara. Eventually everybody comes full circle. I highly recommend the Namesake (movie) by Mira Nair to explore this theme of the joys and mostly the agonies of being a diasporan living in the West.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #344 on: December 25, 2020, 05:03:42 AM »

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #345 on: December 25, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
X-mass special.

Malcolm Mclaren - Double Dutch

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
Another year gone just like that. This one has definitely been the strangest one since 2001 (9-11 Attacks and aftermath)

1995 smashes. Did you know that she died in an airplane crash in 2001?

These songs remind me of the road trip we made with buddies to Buckhead ATL in 1997. Back then Buckhead was party central. Seems like just yesterday. Partied till asubuhi na mapema including an early morning shift to club 112 (does it still exist?). Those truly were the days.

More that went south this year.

https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/celebrities-who-died-in-2020-47084634?stream_view=1

I do not watch news so was shocked to discover Zindzi Mandela, Kofi Annan, Alex Trebeck, Burt Reynolds, B.Smith, Andre Harell have all gone south! Life is but a puff off smoke, folks. Do not waste it on things that do not really matter in the big scheme of things. Remember how Annan and Gicheru were at the centre of the msukosukos of 2007 that Kwiinyans spent 23 out of 24 hrs a day discussing siasa over? All gone. Oloo also gone. Let's make good use of time, my pipo. Shalom.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #347 on: December 27, 2020, 12:51:13 AM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #348 on: January 04, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #349 on: January 04, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »

These song, these song, these song I tells ya. Takes me back sana
- Nai in the early 90s
-Being fresh out of highschool waiting two long years to go to campo due to messed up intakes
-Feeling of having too much time on my hands..those two years were the longest in my life so far
- Height of the KANU error. Crazy politics, protests and incidents. One day I was walking down Moi Avenue towards University way. Three smartly dressed (suits) gents were walking about 10 metres ahead of me. All of a sudden the guy in the middle takes off running at a speed to rival David Rudisha! The two guys next to him took off running after him at top speed. Right at Univeristy way is where they shikad him. You just see them removing their guns from within their suits. Kumbe the guys were special branch and they were arresting one of those underground opposition activists and taking him (I suppose) to either Kingsway House or Central Police Station to finya his vitals! Those were some crazy years man.
-Also reminds me of the Pattni saga, Grand Regency/Goldenberg....
-And planning with buddies which next house party or club we were going to go to usiku almost every other day
Those were the days

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2021, 08:28:01 PM »
Money can never buy you love, nor happiness. Facts!

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »
Dedicated to Trumpsters in the house- no naming names

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2021, 03:35:02 AM »

Jo-berg

@ Termi, how did I miss this one?

• Enigma
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »

Jo-berg

I missed that one too.  Buried by amapiano wave I think.  It's a nice one.  Deben crew vibin about Jo-berg  :D.  I heard Mampitsha is now married to Babes who can only speak Zulu.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »
Money can never buy you love, nor happiness. Facts!

New Jack Swing is my coming of age music.  Facts.

Warren G - Regulate.

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2021, 06:10:56 PM »

Jo-berg

I missed that one too.  Buried by amapiano wave I think.  It's a nice one.  Deben crew vibin about Jo-berg  :D.  I heard Mampitsha is now married to Babes who can only speak Zulu.

I think they were kind of taking a dig at Jobergers just as Snoop, Dogg  Pound and the West Coast crew singing New York New York back in the day  :D

Mapintsha and Babes' relationship is toxic. I doubt they will last long. The slaps she receives in this clip that she broadcast live on insta back in 2019 are cringeworthy. They probably were heard 10 miles away.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »

IPlan. From the 2005 Pound for Pound album. I miss this era man.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
Life is not all about Ndombolo ya Solo @bitmask

Wyclef Jean - 911 ft. Mary J. Blige ft. Mary J. Blige
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2021, 01:24:05 AM »
Life is not all about Ndombolo ya Solo @bitmask

Wyclef Jean - 911 ft. Mary J. Blige ft. Mary J. Blige

Wyclef 911 is a classic.  But my life is more likely to be about music from the South than Ndombolo ya solo :D , which is also nice.  I am a late convert to Ndombolo ya solo.  I think machoman is the authority in that area.

Amageza Amahle(pronounced Ah-math-lay) - Usobusa Ezulwini

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2021, 05:10:42 PM »

Harriet Tubman