Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133869 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »
While I admit I was a late convert to Rhumba, I feel like I have always loved it with some of these beats.

Franco & T.P. O.K. Jazz - Très Faché

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #302 on: November 26, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
Andrea Bocelli - Quizas Quizas Quizas

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #304 on: November 29, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2020, 01:01:39 PM »
Good vibes right there. There's nothing like classic old skool kwaito, man.

Heavy K +  Professor = Fire.  2012-2013 mems.

Professor is understated talent.  His style has a character.  He can have a mini-cameo that alters the entire song with that "wooosh" sound.  I have always thought this guy Nonini reminds me of a Kenyan version of Prof.

If I ever decide to become a Kwaito artist I will definitely adopt Professor's gruff grunting style. Or Mandoza's. Or the call and response Big Nuz style accompanied by sundry chants and grunts at the apposite moment accompanied by a thorough beat and hook. That seems to be the formula that works. Woza Summer in Azania right now. Debehn manenos...

These song, these song, these song reminds me of the day I became a US Citizen I tells ya. Back then I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird

Mzuri stuff. My favourite Nelly Furtado song. Strangely named but the beat and melody are on point. Reminds me of Santa Monica, Cali Saturday nights and that unique ocean seaside smell.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the Shabba Ranks memories, buddies, whatever happened to the kwuy? Disappeared from the face of the earth after reigning over the charts in the early to mid 90s! Housecall reminds me sana of Carni '95. That was one the songs they played all the time until everyone knew the words..as well as this one...

Woe betide you if you were dancing by the speakers when this jam came on. Your ribcage would be rocked by the thick beats and your liver was in danger of dislocating due to the bass on those 5 foot Carni speakers on all four corners of the dancefloor.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2020, 05:21:34 AM »

this is classic if you know kikuyu

Bottomline CDM is sing about life. His message is that life has a start and end. No man can live for ever and life has an end on this earth

This is life "INO NII THII"

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2020, 05:35:33 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #310 on: December 04, 2020, 12:27:59 AM »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #311 on: December 04, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »
Nkurunziza Francois - Ubukene Bwa Karande

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »

this is classic if you know kikuyu

Bottomline CDM is sing about life. His message is that life has a start and end. No man can live for ever and life has an end on this earth

This is life "INO NII THII"

Good stuff Njamba. And  a great message. As John Maynard Keynes once said.."In the long run we are all dead." Maisha in Kunjienjoy swinnghh swanngh while we are alive bro. Nobody is promised tomorrow. In my primo and high school class many who we used to crack jokes with shwaa daily (including my deskie in primo) have gone like flies over the past couple of decades.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »
Simon Chimbetu - Chautah

That guitta, that guitta, that guitta I tells ya! As we have said before, the Zimbos seem to have been given the guitar gift! Very nice.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
Nkurunziza Francois - Ubukene Bwa Karande

Kirundi/Kinyarwanda has a very distinctive sound to it. I once had some two very close lady friends (and neighbours) in the US who just happened to be Hutu and Tutsi respectively who lived together. Was shocked that they spoke fluently to each other fweeeeeeeh with 99.99% mutual intelligibility That is when I realised tribalism in Burundi and Rwanda is just an artificial colonial construct.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
Hottest song in Naija this year that has spawned a dance challenge almost as much as Jerusalema on tik tok, which increasingly is moving out of the teens and young adults zone into the mainstream. I  predict TikTok will be the new insta but for videos. Sooner or later everybody will be on it.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »

Dunia ina mambo - lukumba lukumba

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2020, 07:05:21 PM »
https://www.reverbnation.com/ulopangoma/song/3631422-lady

Been looking for this song for ages. Thank God I found it.
Reminds me saana of Memphis TN, late Summer, 2009
Beale street Jazz nights. I will never forget Robert Church Park in the evening. That atmosphere is something I have never experienced anywhere else, in my life. Trombones, trumpets, diverse crowd of all races, kids running around as their parents danced to the music..sepia sunset glow peppered with the glint of orange evening  park lamps casting a unique glow all around. Very unique place.
The mighty Mississippi River with its riverboats coursing away gently to the sea nearby
The Best BBQ in the USA bar none (you can take that to the bank!)
Graceland - it was like stepping back in time into the 1970s.. a bit creepy walking through the rooms and sitting on the same furniture he sat on and boarding his now permanently grounded plane, but it was interesting to see how the king (Elvis) lived
Lorraine Motel
Mud Island.
Memphis gets a bad rap, man....they even had downtown cable cars. I would even rank Memphis a notch above Dallas, Atlanta or Houston which are just terrible cities overall with nothing worth seeing or doing there worth writing home about.
Those were the days...  For those of you still in Babylon..I envy you. For some of us the thrill went a loooong time ago. Not because we've been there done that and wrote the book, but just because we moved on to other more interesting things in our life phases. Life is a funny thing.you dream of something (eg going to the USA) you do it thoroughly, then you move on and tell your totos stories about it. Who knows, in 20 years time we might move to New Zealand like my Japanese lady beshtie I met in Asia many years back. She vowed she will NEVER go back to Japan except in a coffin. Yet so many want to go to Japan. These are the ironies of life I tells ya. Hata hapa Kwiinya I always crack up when I hear young fellas prating about how much they want to go to USA. When you tell them you were tired of the place they look at you with a genuinely puzzled look. Maisha ni kupanda na kushuka, as you board the matatu fleeing your location in one direction others are climbing out of it fleeing where you are going to..heading to where you came from thinking tis paradise  :grin:

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »

Memories I tells ya. Music is quite something in terms of having this funny little habit of stoking them big time.

• Enigma
« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:34 PM »
Hottest song in Naija this year that has spawned a dance challenge almost as much as Jerusalema on tik tok, which increasingly is moving out of the teens and young adults zone into the mainstream. I  predict TikTok will be the new insta but for videos. Sooner or later everybody will be on it.

Yeah.  It's been a recurring beat the few times I have been in a gathering this year.  Burna Boy is another naija that seems to have gone mainstream; they even play his music in the gym.  John Vuli Gate is also trying to see if it can match Jerusalema.  I doubt it, but it's apparently a craze in SADC

Harriet Tubman