Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133875 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »

Sad that he died of the big mdudu. Philly was the Fela Kuti of East Africa. Speaking of Fela Kuti...

As usual the song is a long one with the words kicking in only after minute 8.54

Yes, Lutayo was good.  There is also this Afrigo band with Moses Matovu(been around since days of Idi Amin) that I had the fortune of watching live.  UG has had a relatively underrated music scene.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »
Philly Lutaya, Daughter is still keeping his memories alive, She has an youtube channel that where I got this from

I watched Philly Lutaya documentary in 1992. It was very inspiring. Changing behaviour around AIDS is not easy. We used to be counseled about this because while I was in high school we Poinked anything that moved in the town that my school was located. Good thing is that we have several students who parents were Medics and so we always had condoms. Man when I think about it I count myself lucky

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2020, 06:25:31 PM »
Philly Lutaya, Daughter is still keeping his memories alive, She has an youtube channel that where I got this from

I watched Philly Lutaya documentary in 1992. It was very inspiring. Changing behaviour around AIDS is not easy. We used to be counseled about this because while I was in high school we Poinked anything that moved in the town that my school was located. Good thing is that we have several students who parents were Medics and so we always had condoms. Man when I think about it I count myself lucky

Indeed. The big mdudu si mjezo. A few of my classmates have gone South from it at the prime of their lives manze. So sad.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »

Sad that he died of the big mdudu. Philly was the Fela Kuti of East Africa. Speaking of Fela Kuti...

As usual the song is a long one with the words kicking in only after minute 8.54

Yes, Lutayo was good.  There is also this Afrigo band with Moses Matovu(been around since days of Idi Amin) that I had the fortune of watching live.  UG has had a relatively underrated music scene.

Facts. Ngamata Elly Wamala..boda boda. UG music is very catchy, soothing and sleepy just like most Ugandans generally are.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »

New Jack Swing is proof positive that nothing lasts forever. When it broke out it was a serious craze that peeps thought would be permanent (just like breakdancing before it). All the songs that charted had New Jack Swing flavours to them and anything that bucked the trend went nowhere.

Casanova reminds me very much of New Years eve 1996 when me and my then girlfriend went and watched Levert perform LIVE right before our eyes on their then Father and Son tour around the States. Ze one currently in Azania grappling with quite a few now not so young kids. She really pestered me to take her and I was reluctant at first but it turned out to be one of the best nights ever.  Man those were ze days.

R.IP to the two Leverts who passed on..

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
Mandoza tribute mix

"You know you are getting old when one of your high school classmates becomes a grandmother." --City Slickers (excellent movie that I highly recommend).

I would modify it to say :

"You know you are getting old when all your favourite artists that you used to listen to while growing up are all dead, and so are many of your peers."
  8)

RIP Mandoza

• Enigma
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2020, 10:46:22 PM »
Mandoza tribute mix

"You know you are getting old when one of your high school classmates becomes a grandmother." --City Slickers (excellent movie that I highly recommend).

I would modify it to say :

"You know you are getting old when all your favourite artists that you used to listen to while growing up are all dead, and so are many of your peers."
  8)

RIP Mandoza

And when you are no longer surprised to be frequently the oldest in a room  :D.  Or when someone younger(in terms of years) looks old to you.  But as long as you are in good health, it's all good.  That's all that counts.

This one will go into my next workout.  This guy was a no-nonsense kwaito purveyor.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

Music that brings back dim memories from your parents' vinyl.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2020, 11:01:57 PM »

New Jack Swing is proof positive that nothing lasts forever. When it broke out it was a serious craze that peeps thought would be permanent (just like breakdancing before it). All the songs that charted had New Jack Swing flavours to them and anything that bucked the trend went nowhere.

Casanova reminds me very much of New Years eve 1996 when me and my then girlfriend went and watched Levert perform LIVE right before our eyes on their then Father and Son tour around the States. Ze one currently in Azania grappling with quite a few now not so young kids. She really pestered me to take her and I was reluctant at first but it turned out to be one of the best nights ever.  Man those were ze days.

R.IP to the two Leverts who passed on..

Another mix for my workouts. 

It's amazing how far we've come even with just youtube from the days of 240 pixels and max 10 minutes uploads like this one.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #289 on: November 12, 2020, 01:45:01 AM »
Bruno Onye Guy.

Reminds me of chilling out with my buddy Chinedu  :D.  Hanging out with these people exposes you to such sounds.

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #290 on: November 16, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
Bruno Onye Guy.

Reminds me of chilling out with my buddy Chinedu  :D.  Hanging out with these people exposes you to such sounds.

Good stuff. I like the way Naijos are super proud of their culture and music. Big contrast to Kenya where most Kenyans hate "local" music  :D

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2020, 09:03:43 PM »

Aston Martin Muzak. This song reminds me of touring San Antonio TX..by far my favourite city it that state. Riverwalk, La Villita, Mexican culture and food and stunning views of Bexar County from the top of the tower of the Americas.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2020, 09:18:43 PM »
Another mix for my workouts. 

It's amazing how far we've come even with just youtube from the days of 240 pixels and max 10 minutes uploads like this one.

Good vibes right there. There's nothing like classic old skool kwaito, man.

Heavy K +  Professor = Fire.  2012-2013 mems.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2020, 09:34:11 PM »
Travel muzak 2008-2012

My girlfriend took me backpacking. I dig the song to it Lemaitre-Strobes Part 2( Trying to find my Way back home)

Tumeona mengi kwa hii maisha my mbradza. Really packed a lot of living into our 30s!

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2020, 09:47:48 PM »

The song she wrote to get back Nameless :D. Thankfully they are now happily married. Reminds me sana of easy evenings on the Venice beach boardwalk for me, man.

• Enigma
« Reply #295 on: November 19, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Nice rock selections.  Good memories especially the Boys of Summer.

Isaiah Katumwa(some UG saxophonist) and Hugh Masekela.

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #296 on: November 19, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
Nice rock selections.  Good memories especially the Boys of Summer.

Isaiah Katumwa(some UG saxophonist) and Hugh Masekela.

Good stuff. RIP Hugh Masekela. All the greats are gone, man!
Anything by Hugh Masekela reminds me of my college buddy from Namibia. Dude was jazz obsessed. I have never met a person with such a vast collection of jazz music than him. Back then I was slowly acquiring the taste for traditional jazz music so this album was a good fusion of jazz and r&b that helped the process.

My favourite song from said album;

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #297 on: November 19, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »

The smash that ruled 1994

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #298 on: November 19, 2020, 08:17:16 PM »

Memories of leaving Nairobi in the mid 90s. Remember going to a house party in Nai just before I left...these song these song these song I tells ya reminds me of those ndays.

• Enigma
« Reply #299 on: November 20, 2020, 05:22:10 PM »
Good vibes right there. There's nothing like classic old skool kwaito, man.

Heavy K +  Professor = Fire.  2012-2013 mems.

Professor is understated talent.  His style has a character.  He can have a mini-cameo that alters the entire song with that "wooosh" sound.  I have always thought this guy Nonini reminds me of a Kenyan version of Prof.

Harriet Tubman