Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133892 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2020, 05:22:52 AM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
Biggie Tembo and Bhundu Boys.  Put on a nice pair of earphones to do justice to these guitar geniuses.

Kupedza Muto

Really good stuff. The Zimbos seem to have a natural gift for excellent guitar work.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »

Trip down memory lane. When Kwaito was kwaito!!

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2020, 03:39:39 PM »
First time I ever visited Gauteng  8)
These types of jams were on heavy rotation on all the FM stations back then...

• Enigma
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
This Old School kwaito mix took me through a heck of a workout, I was bringing out my chop di grass moves at the end  :D .  I'll try it with the second mix and see how that goes.

Ilog Drum by the prolific Kabza de Smalls.  Nice for cruising.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
This Old School kwaito mix took me through a heck of a workout, I was bringing out my chop di grass moves at the end  :D .  I'll try it with the second mix and see how that goes.

Ilog Drum by the prolific Kabza de Smalls.  Nice for cruising.

Chonjo sana. That beat is infectious. Speaking of moves. I need to learn this one and unleash it with vigour at all those weddings hapa where furious dancing is the norm. Once again the zimbos seem especially talented in this department.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
2000-2010 was an awesome decade man. All these songs take me back to those glory years.

Mzeks' tunes never gets old man

Brown Dash..gone too soon RIP

50-50 Mandoza. I did not know he also died in 2016!  RIP

The Blast- Talib Kweli  :D and Hi tek. Kweli this song ruled Summer 2000. Reminds me of my graduation and looking forward to life ahead.

Houston manenos...Mike Jones. Reminds me of Tanzanians in Houston and their crazy parties.

Dbanj before he became very famous. Reminds me of drinking very bad wine and Nigerian mamas.

Reminds me of Naija movies and Furahiday nites back then for some reason.

Jamyeakan/Caribbean bashes mems... that's one thing I miss about the USA..crazy diversity everywhere. You meet people from all over the world daily.

2008 was quite a year, man.

What a decade that was.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2020, 10:18:54 PM »

Bamboo before he okokad. These one these one these one reminds me of Takeover DJ's and the Annual Kenyan ATL Thanksgiving bashes.

• Enigma
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »
Mzeks, Spikiri, Mdu, Mawillies etc marked a shift from apartheid era bubble gum to straight up urban kwaito; miros tasting freedom.  Most of the modern stuff like GQOM, Amapiano is just a branch of what these guys created.

I had completely forgotten about Wayne Wonder. 

Talking of Jamaicans, this number reminds of going to parties in Wrigleyville the smell of weed wafting in the air back when it was illegal  :D.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Kamo Mphela(Babes latest replacement) and MFR Souls, another recurring theme in recent times.

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
Mzeks, Spikiri, Mdu, Mawillies etc marked a shift from apartheid era bubble gum to straight up urban kwaito; miros tasting freedom.  Most of the modern stuff like GQOM, Amapiano is just a branch of what these guys created.

I had completely forgotten about Wayne Wonder. 

Talking of Jamaicans, this number reminds of going to parties in Wrigleyville the smell of weed wafting in the air back when it was illegal  :D.

Indeed @ raw urban Kwaito. That, mawillies beat, that beat I tells ya! Too thorough. The young'ins of these days don't know what they missed. Nice throwback@ Brick and "Lee-ace". They disappeared from the scene despite a strong showing with this song. This was Cookie's SC nemesis (the golfer in SC..forgot his handle) 's favourite song on rcb Furahiday nights

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
Kamo Mphela(Babes latest replacement) and MFR Souls, another recurring theme in recent times.

Very catchy tune. Slim homegirl has dance moves man. Good stuff.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »

Dunia ina mambo. Reminds me of my dad's old vinyl record player. The haunting words of this song still apply to date.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2020, 12:48:59 PM »

From the Tsotsi (2005) soundtrack.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2020, 12:53:49 PM »
Trompies - SIkia hio Ngoma  :grin:.
Whoever arranged this song is a genius

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »

Karish - talk of a gifted storyteller. Funny guy who believe it or not is now and MCA! These songs remind me of the dark days of 2007/2008 when Kwiinya was rocked to its roots. Watching events unfold flom ablod was not fun.

Muthoni kifagio

Sad song. Seems like it was shot on the same day, scene and set as Muthoni Kifagio (to save money)

• Enigma
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »
Karish is indeed funny.  The guitar work is not shabby either.  I would know, I have tried learning it.

Another blast from the past is Kamaru "Rais wetu alinguruma huko".

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »
Tabu Ley was among the last of the great Congo generation, when Congo music was Congo music.  It's now struggling for relevance with the flood of so-called Afropop(which can be instantly catchy but also fades just as quickly like used chewing gum).

Tabu Ley - Tempelo

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »
Karish is indeed funny.  The guitar work is not shabby either.  I would know, I have tried learning it.

Another blast from the past is Kamaru "Rais wetu alinguruma huko".

Good stuff. Reminds me of those dark dark days. Hearing Shariff Nassir blurt "Wapende wasipende" on the daily news bulletins, Kuria Kanyingi saying " Wacha tuponde mali kama  Moi bado yuko," and the man from Sacho himself saying "Obhosishen, obhosishen gitu gani!" while skulls, limbs and necks were being crushed at Nyayo House. All of them now six feet under. Life is like vapour, man..