Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133915 times)

Offline .

• Mega superstar
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »
ALL of these ones remind me of being fresh off the boat in the USA (mid 90s) after high school. My first Spring Break, my first jalopy (a huge deal for a 19 year old!), my first summer, winter,  my first apartment off campus in the Spring semester..name it!  I remember my first day on campus and this pretty African American chick in a drop top Geo (do they still make these cars?  :D) was blasting TLC's I've been watching you at full decibel cruising down campus bass and all......

Foxy Brown ruled 1996 with this album, man. Classics tupu from start to end

Big nostalgic tune, 1995

Another big one..hit the charts in 1997

Jalopy cruise music

This one never gets old for me :D

This one reminds me of ATL sana

This song always reminds me of the last days in Kenya, at Carni, before I left!

Where did the time go bro?

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
This one reminds me of tuning in to YFM (SA) online on weekends, for the Kwaito Top Ten around 2013. Pitch black afro's matofo tofo too. Those were the days, man.

and of course our boy Brickz used to rock all speakers with this one..

I am trying to find Ditaba (whether audio or video) by Lebo Mathosa. Cannot find that song anywhere!

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
The chick I had a crush on back then (who introduced me to Kwaito in '96) is now a mother of many in Azania sasa hivi!

Biological clock is not to be denied :D .  There was one I knew who used to bandisha picha of every mundane activity on instagram and then then radio silence.  I later learned she was grappling with twins.

Thanks for the links.  I can see candidates for my spotify library.  You can find Ditaba by Lebo on spotify https://open.spotify.com/search/ditaba%20lebo
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
The chick I had a crush on back then (who introduced me to Kwaito in '96) is now a mother of many in Azania sasa hivi!

Biological clock is not to be denied :D .  There was one I knew who used to bandisha picha of every mundane activity on instagram and then then radio silence.  I later learned she was grappling with twins.

Thanks for the links.  I can see candidates for my spotify library.  You can find Ditaba by Lebo on spotify https://open.spotify.com/search/ditaba%20lebo.

he he he he he @ twins.. life has all sorts of crazy twists and turns. Asante but I'm denied on Spotify! They do not allow listens from outside the US. Let me use tunnelbear and see if I can be able to listen to and rip it.  Meanwhile ngamatta another classic from those bygone days...

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
https://www.mboxdrive.com/Ditaba%20(128%20kbps).mp3

Managed to rip a copy at long last via tunnelbear. Asante tena!

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2020, 10:20:19 PM »

Big Fun - Gap band.
It always amazes me how Kenyans ablod spend 99.99% of their waking moments discussing hopeless Kiinyan siasa 24/7
Life is passing folks by shwaaaaa.
Wacha sisi tunjienjoy jiii
By Dec I must summit Kili.
Ni hayo tu

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:30 AM »

Zola Don't Cry

2004...Before Loyiso got born again and went 100% Gospel (in 2012)

Those three above remind me of the post apartheid first (honeymoon) decade :D.

Another song that reminds me of drop topping in ATL.  8)

R.I.P Tuku. Saturday morning music manenos right here

Houston manenos. Houston is just a terrible city overall, my fren. Whenever I would visit, a day or two was more than enough..needed to get out of that place fast! But the music was good though  :D

Summer 07 smash. Time seems to move faster the older we get. Pause button iko wapi?
Throw some D's on that

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »
Smooth

Sema Kizee.. Mambo nii Swaaah hapa

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2020, 01:48:27 AM »
In the face of Fascism and the dystopia that this world has become here we go

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2020, 01:52:38 AM »
Smooth

Sema Kizee.. Mambo nii Swaaah hapa

Good stuff Njamba. My favourite Marley jam of all time  is this one .. :D

Reminds me of a dingy apartment house party I went to in my freshman year where they were smoking ndhom like it was Christmas. Beat up ghetto cars outside. Baafrika students and Jameeyakans live live. When Amerikkka was brand new and exciting to us. You got stoned just by being in the room. And the next day classes and McDees shifts ndizo hizo hizo. Kweli tumetoka mbali.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2020, 03:44:53 AM »
I used to be a reggea nut

At midnight most satos I would be at a Brilliant pale parkland karibu na uhunye high school. Some days we would go to KU HARAMBEE HALL. djs those days were oboho..s Akina Lefty, Papa Charlie, Jack Marley, Bongoman..at ku after midnight it was weed hour. I never liked weed I feared losing my mind so I stuck to miraa and beer. I would occasional hit mama Pima on kamiti road hit two pure shots of nubian gin and they take a mathree.. hapo rounda ya roysambu..I had a membership at brilliant..at coast I would hit reggea nights in south coast and dance with silky silky tugals from Europe. On Sundays we would hit toyz and Florida hapo mombasa town and at night we would go pussy chasing at Eastern Bull. Good times

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2020, 03:51:36 AM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
I used to be a reggea nut

At midnight most satos I would be at a Brilliant pale parkland karibu na uhunye high school. Some days we would go to KU HARAMBEE HALL. djs those days were oboho..s Akina Lefty, Papa Charlie, Jack Marley, Bongoman..at ku after midnight it was weed hour. I never liked weed I feared losing my mind so I stuck to miraa and beer. I would occasional hit mama Pima on kamiti road hit two pure shots of nubian gin and they take a mathree.. hapo rounda ya roysambu..I had a membership at brilliant..at coast I would hit reggea nights in south coast and dance with silky silky tugals from Europe. On Sundays we would hit toyz and Florida hapo mombasa town and at night we would go pussy chasing at Eastern Bull. Good times

he he he he he uliona maisha kweli kweli. I remember you mentioning many years back that you also used to go to makuti roofed Shak-a-tak on Diani Beach road. I remember going there around 2010 Dec only to find tusungus and local ngels dancing vigorously to a furious sweat with the ocean breeze cooling the open dancefloor. Visiting Kwiinya from US during dec hols was fun, man. Kila kitu seemed different and exotic. This song below reminds me of those likizos. South Coast is awesome, man.

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
My favourite "Nostalgia for days gone" songs

Ahmad..back in the day

This Don Henley song reminds me sana of (again) summer road trips with buddies

Summer of '69

Makamero na makaboti...

Remind me

Usher version

"If you love someone you better tell them often..because you never know when they will be layin' in a coffin'" ...word!

"Even the gangstas was dancing like New Edition"

'95 clubgoing and housepartying teens, stand up :D

Time keeps on slippin' away...

Wawesh homesick...used to love this song while in the USA. Life is interesting..Homesick no more!  :D

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
I am disappointed RV Pundit has nothing to say about Rhino Kaboom.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2020, 02:46:57 AM »

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »
Who can forget Apache Indian?

"Number 1 inna de Bombay chaaarts"  :D

To be young and dumb was fun jameni.

• Enigma
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »
Smooth,

These good sounds are from back when akatas(and other Americans) were at the top of music still producing things worth listening to.  Very nice.

This one brings long dormant memories to life.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Biggie Tembo and Bhundu Boys.  Put on a nice pair of earphones to do justice to these guitar geniuses.

Kupedza Muto

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:43:01 AM by bitmask »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »
I am disappointed RV Pundit has nothing to say about Rhino Kaboom.

Sad.  I had never heard of him.  Such a young fella.

The Kale musician I liked from way back is Tumbalal Arap Sang.

Harriet Tubman