Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 133886 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2020, 05:07:27 AM »

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2020, 05:21:15 AM »
Juacali this song is came for somewhere deep

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2020, 12:15:23 AM »
Sipho Gumede - A Whisper (With Ernie Smith)

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »
Alfa Kat - Piano.  Spikiri must be smiling.

Good stuff Termie. Kumbe you are still around. Just discovered this thread. I see the bafazi are still shaking their pu**ies twa twa twa twa left right and center for the video watchers viewing pleasures. No one except us old heads seem to listen to Kwaito any more bro -shocker of shockers. Never thought I would see the day. These days it is all about gqom for the younger generation. Old heads like Mampintsha are struggling during the transition. Babes Wodumo has taken over the p...sy shaking from kina Chomee who vanished from the scene kabsa kabsa.

• Enigma
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2020, 09:23:20 PM »
Good stuff Termie. Kumbe you are still around. Just discovered this thread. I see the bafazi are still shaking their pu**ies twa twa twa twa left right and center for the video watchers viewing pleasures. No one except us old heads seem to listen to Kwaito any more bro -shocker of shockers. Never thought I would see the day. These days it is all about gqom for the younger generation. Old heads like Mampintsha are struggling during the transition. Babes Wodumo has taken over the p...sy shaking from kina Chomee who vanished from the scene kabsa kabsa.

Yezzir.  Oldie nice to see ya.  I am still going strong with the kwaito.

Mampitsha takes it out on Babes every once in a while.  They(Mampitsha, Tira etc) were victims of their own success in Durban.  Professor has also been taking on water for some time.  I have seen relatively recent releases by the good Dr. Malinga, though he is also fighting a losing battle to the new wave reduced to little more than a colorful time travelling cartoon.

I was introduced to qcom by a young mzansi college sista.  She insisted I play Distruction Boyz from her phone those days when spotify started to take hold and strangers just get to play their shit on your speakers.  She asked me to do that ridiculous pistol squat dance move and I politely declined to extend the life on my tattered knees :D.

There is also amapiano wave led by none other Kabelo(a different one - Kabza de Small).  When you get a chance listen to this one

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »

Yezzir.  Oldie nice to see ya.  I am still going strong with the kwaito.

Mampitsha takes it out on Babes every once in a while.  They(Mampitsha, Tira etc) were victims of their own success in Durban.  Professor has also been taking on water for some time.  I have seen relatively recent releases by the good Dr. Malinga, though he is also fighting a losing battle to the new wave reduced to little more than a colorful time travelling cartoon.

I was introduced to qcom by a young mzansi college sista.  She insisted I play Distruction Boyz from her phone those days when spotify started to take hold and strangers just get to play their shit on your speakers.  She asked me to do that ridiculous pistol squat dance move and I politely declined to extend the life on my tattered knees :D.

There is also amapiano wave led by none other Kabelo(a different one - Kabza de Small).  When you get a chance listen to this one

he he he @ pistol squat/Vosho dances. That's another huge transition that seems to have happened. Much like mumble rap in the US it's no longer about the music and lyrics but the dancing, repetition of senseless chants and the bass/beat peke yake. I must admit I like gqom a lot regardless. It has grown on me since Sho Madjozi threw some swa lyrics into her version of it humo humo. Destruction boyz stuff is super uptempo bwana. Some of us lost the energy to keep up with these ear splitting high tempo moves kitambo sana. The old heads (Malinga, Lvovo & Professor) just look out of place in some of these millenial videos these days. Let's hope their reinventions of themselves (eg with amapiano- which is not bad at all) will last long term but I highly doubt it. Once a whole genre goes it goes kabsa.

Found a remake of this old gem by Naima Kay. Now these are the tunes I can listen to all day. Reminds me of Summer 2013. Beach hopping and easy sun splashed days. Corona seems to have made those days seem like paradise compared to this new normal.

• Enigma
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »
^Timamu selections.

Another gem from that era.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:53 PM »
Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2020, 01:41:57 AM »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2020, 01:51:01 AM »
 Jean Bosco Mwenda - Masanga

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2020, 02:04:22 AM »
Ali El Haggar - Aho Dah Elly Sar

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2020, 02:17:35 AM »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2020, 03:01:23 AM »
Juacali this song is came for somewhere deep

My favourite 2000's era (the golden age of Genge) tracks. Reminds me of seemingly simpler times, the old RCBowen, the big change in Kenya in 2002 when our economy turned around permanently for the better, eating chicken wings and dim sum for lunch in Amerikkka while chasing the Amerikkkan dream furiously, easy Summers, long cross country road trips and December amazing visits home to Kwiinya! Before going back stateside to press rewind and do it all over again for yet another year. Crazy how time flies...that was over 15 years ago!

This song (by tattu) reminds me of Calle Ocho Miami and South Beach in general

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2020, 03:11:13 AM »
OutKast - Rosa Parks

1998! A good and bad year for me in equal measure. Another hit from that year...

Why lie. This song ruled 1998, why lie and put the Big Easy on the map in a big way, standing on the shoulders of Master P of course.
That summer was fire!!

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2020, 03:13:36 AM »
Kabza de Small

Indaba ka Bani

Sponono

Good stuff, Termie. This is car cruise music! I like the blend of soulful, traditional and modern in both. Asante!

• Enigma
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
1998! A good and bad year for me in equal measure. Another hit from that year...

Why lie. This song ruled 1998, why lie and put the Big Easy on the map in a big way, standing on the shoulders of Master P of course.
That summer was fire!!

Some music etches an imprint that you forever link to a time period.  This is one of those.  Good memories.

Harriet Tubman

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »

That summer was fire!!

Some music etches an imprint that you forever link to a time period.  This is one of those.  Good memories.

Indeed. The late Dick Clark said it best,.."Music is the soundtrack of our lives." When I listen to certain songs I remember places, faces and eras in my life like it was yesterday, depending on the song in question. These two songs remind me of Friday evenings on the former RCB circa 2002-2010. Stocko in Canada (RIP) Kenyan Plato and his always entertaining opinions, Mungu Ngai Pan with his endless storos, Obadiah Haiwesekani the Hollywood insider (RIP), Garibaldi Gatheru aka KIRGIT.  Asali (whatever happened to her?), Mil Polo, the swarm of RVs, Abbyngel, Veritas, Shisheido (Mayweather fan), Zokwe Nyani Kasolo Mkia, Cookie and so many more.  As soon as folks started posting mzikis usiku on Friday you knew the weekend was on!   

Offline .

• Mega superstar
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2020, 10:21:18 PM »

This one reminds me of 1998. Funny how time and distance makes the best of friends become strangers. No idea where the homies I used to hang out with and take road trips with back then are. The chick I had a crush on back then (who introduced me to Kwaito in '96) is now a mother of many in Azania sasa hivi!