Author Topic: Musical Interlude  (Read 131780 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Musical Interlude
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

@Reticent

This is an ode nod for you.

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »

@Reticent

This is an ode nod for you.

Thanks. This really is good music and takes me back years ago when I was probably of your age group, and a friend had invited me to Guilin - the most natural and picturesque area of China, in my view. It was at a function there that I first heard the elegant sounds of this instrument. Then there was this other long instrument - like a zither - that sits on a stand or planks and has many strings, but whose name I can't quite recall that was also very interesting. 

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
Then there was this other long instrument - like a zither - that sits on a stand or planks and has many strings, but whose name I can't quite recall that was also very interesting. 

You probably have in mind the guzheng, which is in fact a zither.  The other type of zither, which has far fewer strings, is the guqin.   

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
Then there was this other long instrument - like a zither - that sits on a stand or planks and has many strings, but whose name I can't quite recall that was also very interesting. 

You probably have in mind the guzheng, which is in fact a zither.  The other type of zither, which has far fewer strings, is the guqin.   

Wow, you are absolutely right the guzheng is a zither.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2015, 09:31:22 PM »

Thanks. This really is good music and takes me back years ago when I was probably of your age group, and a friend had invited me to Guilin - the most natural and picturesque area of China, in my view. It was at a function there that I first heard the elegant sounds of this instrument. Then there was this other long instrument - like a zither - that sits on a stand or planks and has many strings, but whose name I can't quite recall that was also very interesting.

@MOON Ki already gave you the name of the instrument.
Guilin is a scenic and beautiful city with clean, natural unpolluted rivers and lakes, and perhaps the only place in China without air pollution.

'...Age group...' that sounds like something my dad would say  :D Will be doing a European trip next week before starting grad school this fall.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »

This is off the beaten charts ....lol

• Superstar
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »

That is the instrument whose name I couldn't quite recall, thanks.

• Superstar
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »

@MOON Ki already gave you the name of the instrument.
Guilin is a scenic and beautiful city with clean, natural unpolluted rivers and lakes, and perhaps the only place in China without air pollution.

'...Age group...' that sounds like something my dad would say  :D Will be doing a European trip next week before starting grad school this fall.

Well, the "age group" line was just to state in jest how long it's been since I made my first visit to China many years ago as a very young man. Where in Europe are you planning to go on your visit?

• Superstar
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »

This kind of unique performance and MV is something I would have expected from the quirky Japanese not the Chinese. Interesting.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 11:18:08 PM »
Among the African musicians who made a huge impression on me when I was a lad: one Miriam Makeba. Beyond her music was her staunch commitment to civil rights, something for which she paid a huge price.

African songbird in full flight:

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »
Makeba was indeed great.  Dolly Rathebe, also great, had a smaller impact internationally.

Ntemi Piliso was also an understated composer.  Here is one of his compositions rendered by Ned Newitt.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:32 AM »
Totally, so despite the CPC's strict censorship, there are many artists and musicians working outside government-controlled channels. However I agree that China is still a looong way from catching up with Japan, or even South Korea.

This kind of unique performance and MV is something I would have expected from the quirky Japanese not the Chinese. Interesting.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:36 AM »
@ Reticent, so do you have suggestions for eye-opening wow places to visit in Europe? My sister and I will be starting starting east and working our way west to England.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
Totally, so despite the CPC's strict censorship

I found it interesting that a lot of this stuff appears on YouTube, which, like many colourful (?) sites, is "strictly banned, forbidden", and blocked  in China ... unless one uses a VPN to do some "unblocking", which activity is also strictly banned and forbidden.   

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 03:52:25 AM »
Totally, so despite the CPC's strict censorship

I found it interesting that a lot of this stuff appears on YouTube, which, like many colourful (?) sites, is "strictly banned, forbidden", and blocked  in China ... unless one uses a VPN to do some "unblocking", which activity is also strictly banned and forbidden.

There you go. The paranoid CCP/CPC have tried to stifle free movement of information but the younger generation are always one step ahead of their censorship. Though Facebook and Twitter are also blocked, it's amazing that all my relatives and friends have accounts!

• Superstar
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
@ Reticent, so do you have suggestions for eye-opening wow places to visit in Europe? My sister and I will be starting starting east and working our way west to England.

A good start point would be Russia. The Western part of Russia, particularly St.Petersburg, is Europen, and has some of the most fascinating museums and architecture in the entire world. I would pick as my first spot the Maarinsky Theater, which houses the great Maarinsky Ballet and the Orchestra. Next would be the Hermitage Museums; they have the old and the new buildings. Be prepared to see the most amazing collection of paintings, sculptures and antiques -- and by the time you and your sis are done touring these two places, you'll both have run out of superlatives to describe what you saw there.

A digression... I find it odd that a country that produced the highly cultured Alexander III, Peter the Great, and Catherine the Great (ok, I know she was Prussian), also produced the thuggish and coarse Putin.

Onward to Prague, a beautiful city on a par with Paris in its architecture and museums. And the Czechs produce great beer.

Austria, the land of Mozart and many other classical musicians of note would be the next stop. If you have a chance go to Salzburg, where he was born and resided as a child and visit the Mozart Museum. If not you can opt for the Mozarthaus in Vienna.

La Scala in Milan comes highly recommended. Two of the greatest classical music conductors in history, Riccardo Muti and the lamented Claudio Abbado, plied their trade there, so why not pay homage to the great ones at their temples.

To Catalan. Check Barcelona and the surroundings in general, and if you still crave architecture, you'll find the works of Antoni Gaudi in the Modernist style intriguing. If you guys are foodie-types, you'll love the cuisine.

On to France. Paris is Paris with the usual, but if you like different... the Catacombs will be one for the memories. Next hop onto the train and head south to Aix-en Provence and the Luberon region, quaint and charming, and my favorite part of France. Food is religion down there.

If the Channel Tunnel folks aren't on strike, try that mode of transport, so that you can check it off your bucket list. Hopefully you don't restrict yourselves to England but add Scotland to your itinerary. In London, I never get enough of the impressive Victoria and Albert Museum, which houses the works of the Arts and Crafts Movement. Then head north to Scotland and Glasgow and absorb the works of the great Mackintosh and others at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. And, finally, don't forget to eat and finish your haggis.

Enjoy.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:15 AM »

A good start point would be Russia. The Western part of Russia, particularly St.Petersburg, is Europen, and has some of the most fascinating museums and architecture in the entire world. I would pick as my first spot the Maarinsky Theater, which houses the great Maarinsky Ballet and the Orchestra. Next would be the Hermitage Museums; they have the old and the new buildings. Be prepared to see the most amazing collection of paintings, sculptures and antiques -- and by the time you and your sis are done touring these two places, you'll both have run out of superlatives to describe what you saw there.

A digression... I find it odd that a country that produced the highly cultured Alexander III, Peter the Great, and Catherine the Great (ok, I know she was Prussian), also produced the thuggish and coarse Putin.

Onward to Prague, a beautiful city on a par with Paris in its architecture and museums. And the Czechs produce great beer.

Austria, the land of Mozart and many other classical musicians of note would be the next stop. If you have a chance go to Salzburg, where he was born and resided as a child and visit the Mozart Museum. If not you can opt for the Mozarthaus in Vienna.

La Scala in Milan comes highly recommended. Two of the greatest classical music conductors in history, Riccardo Muti and the lamented Claudio Abbado, plied their trade there, so why not pay homage to the great ones at their temples.

To Catalan. Check Barcelona and the surroundings in general, and if you still crave architecture, you'll find the works of Antoni Gaudi in the Modernist style intriguing. If you guys are foodie-types, you'll love the cuisine.

On to France. Paris is Paris with the usual, but if you like different... the Catacombs will be one for the memories. Next hop onto the train and head south to Aix-en Provence and the Luberon region, quaint and charming, and my favorite part of France. Food is religion down there.

If the Channel Tunnel folks aren't on strike, try that mode of transport, so that you can check it off your bucket list. Hopefully you don't restrict yourselves to England but add Scotland to your itinerary. In London, I never get enough of the impressive Victoria and Albert Museum, which houses the works of the Arts and Crafts Movement. Then head north to Scotland and Glasgow and absorb the works of the great Mackintosh and others at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. And, finally, don't forget to eat and finish your haggis.

Enjoy.

Yay! @ Reticent, such great selections, and will sure try to make it to as many of these places as we can. Thanks a million.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:15 AM »

A li'l Lana Del Rey

Not a valid youtube URL [/youtube]

• Superstar
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2015, 12:31:09 AM »

Enjoy.

Yay! @ Reticent, such great selections, and will sure try to make it to as many of these places as we can. Thanks a million.

Zee -

Here's a a chef d'oeuvre that's sure to get stuck in your head for the duration of your trip  :zen:

and the great Mouskouri's rendition sans Iglesias here