Author Topic: How Many Of You Will Trust GoK Diaspora Website With Personal Info?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Nyakinywa

• Regular
The government has launched a web portal where Kenyans living abroad can register.

Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed said the portal, http://diasporaportal.eurocom.co.ke ,
will also work as a notice board where the government can communicate major events, changes in programmes and ask those in diaspora for suggestions on policies.

The portal will also act as a platform to advertise investment opportunities in Kenya which those in the diaspora could be interested in.

Users will be required to create accounts by giving information such as passport and national ID numbers, as well as full names.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: How Many Of You Will Trust GoK Diaspora Website With Personal Info?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:11 AM »
Why is it called euro in the first place?

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
I see nothing wrong with this. It is better than nothing. And yes, why would you not trust it? Is there anything to lose anyway?

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Most diaspora are not ex-pats. They're illegal or citizens of a new country. This is pure segregation. Basically anyone with a Kenyan passport and non "diasporas" can join.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
Ouch

Most diaspora are not ex-pats. They're illegal or citizens of a new country. This is pure segregation. Basically anyone with a Kenyan passport and non "diasporas" can join.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
The day GoK and the Kangaroo institution called Parliament begin to treat Kenyans abroad with respect is the day I will sign up. For now, that information will not help the Kenyans but will be turned over to vested interests. Here are the reasons:

1. Parliament remains hostile to Kenyans abroad. That is why it has passed legislation that denies these Kenyans the very rights that other Kenyans enjoy. They are second class citizens:
(a) Dual Citizens have their civil rights grossly limited
(b) Kenyans abroad may not easily run for elective office on account of residence requirements imposed by Parliament
(c) Kenyans who lose citizenship also have their land rights limited

2. The NIS routinely listens to international calls and has a long list of Kenyans it targets. This is illegal as they are not allowed to do this without warrants obtained after showing probable cause. They have mountains of information stored and which it shares with foreign security agencies. Most of this information was used to effectuate rendition of Kenyans and carry out Extra Judicial Killings (EJK).

3. Kenya has lately upped Extra Judicial Killings. These killings are carried out without the victim being heard and may well be based on secret and unverified denunciations (Communist style). In an evil partnership, Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, have been cooperating in the elimination of each others undesirables. Kagame of Rwanda has been most  active and effective, going as far as South Africa and Europe to make short  business of his opponents. I can only imagine Uhuru Kenyatta salivating at the prospect of neutralizing those he recently cited during the last Mashujaa Day.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
Those who want to can register. Its not mandatory.

Offline Kichwambaya

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
My rule of thumb is not to give personal inforamtion to anybody including the government unless it is absultely neccesary and  the information is confidential and you are aware of the safeguards in place to protect that information.  Why don't they just post the information without requesting registration or why not just use your email address to register. Why do they need your passport Number?

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Jubilee govt is a very dangerous and vindictive govt. You may find your self detained  on arrival at JKIA.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
I agree with you. There should be a law guiding collection of info, otherwise they can use it whatever way they like.  Be very careful giving any info even to companies, they may sell/give it to govt. Give as little as possible to get whatever is needed. BTW Facebook and Google are data collection agencies. Just give them name and thats it.

My rule of thumb is not to give personal inforamtion to anybody including the government unless it is absultely neccesary and  the information is confidential and you are aware of the safeguards in place to protect that information.  Why don't they just post the information without requesting registration or why not just use your email address to register. Why do they need your passport Number?

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Jubilee govt is a very dangerous and vindictive govt. You may find your self detained  on arrival at JKIA.
Hahahah Jakoyo, seems like a desperate move indeed. Count me out.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
I agree with you. There should be a law guiding collection of info, otherwise they can use it whatever way they like.  Be very careful giving any info even to companies, they may sell/give it to govt. Give as little as possible to get whatever is needed. BTW Facebook and Google are data collection agencies. Just give them name and thats it.

True fact. I can a test that since I gave my e mail to the embassy while applying for passport renewal, I have been getting several e mails  trying to solicit my business for all kinds of kenyan companies and even some online diaspora businesses associated with jubilee folks...confirming the fact our US embassy is either selling our e-mails, or dishing them out to their friends..
And Life Goes On..