Author Topic: Kenyan Classic right here!  (Read 542 times)

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
Kenyan Classic right here!
« on: March 02, 2022, 08:45:54 AM »

Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
Re: Kenyan Classic right here!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 09:00:39 AM »
I came across this song yesterday, my god what a throw back, nostalgia galore, I'm instantly transported back home 20 years ago.

This song is a Kenyan staple, up there with Tusker, Nyama Choma and casual sex  :D

Gentle music, unlike the garbage noise that passes for music nowadays.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »
I came across this song yesterday, my god what a throw back, nostalgia galore, I'm instantly transported back home 20 years ago.

This song is a Kenyan staple, up there with Tusker, Nyama Choma and casual sex  :D

Gentle music, unlike the garbage noise that passes for music nowadays.

The calypso sound is obvious.  Back then Congolese was standard bearer for African music.  What are they producing these days?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 04:24:06 PM »
The calypso sound is obvious.  Back then Congolese was standard bearer for African music.  What are they producing these days?

Yeah the fusion of new world and African elements produced magical sounds, Rumba being influenced by Afro Cuban music. Congo has been in constant wars for 30 years now may be that has something to do with their lack of musical inspiration. Still, nothing produced by popular artists today anywhere on the continent compares to the melodies that were produced back then. The ingredients are missing.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:02:25 PM »

Yeah the fusion of new world and African elements produced magical sounds, Rumba being influenced by Afro Cuban music. Congo has been in constant wars for 30 years now may be that has something to do with their lack of musical inspiration. Still, nothing produced by popular artists today anywhere on the continent compares to the melodies that were produced back then. The ingredients are missing.

The Cameroonian Makossa sound with its heavy zouk influence from Martinique was also a classic IMO.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman