Author Topic: Nairobi Expressway to cost Sh7bn more  (Read 985 times)

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Nairobi Expressway to cost Sh7bn more
« on: October 01, 2021, 09:44:24 AM »
CS Macharia says the Kenyan government has not put a single penny in the project

Another lie. The government has paid billions for the relocation of cables, water and sewage pipes.

https://nation.africa/kenya/counties/nairobi/nairobi-expressway-to-cost-sh7bn-more-but-it-s-not-state-money-cs-3568620

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Nairobi Expressway to cost Sh7bn more
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
I understand that this will be a leased highway. The private entity build it and will maintain it. 
To use it you gotta pay.
Looks well planned

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
Yes but they are agreed figures - and terms because this public road - so china roads if they spend more - I hope they cannot increase the agreed toll fees or years before they hand it to gov - 30yrs.

But this is indeed a ground breaking development - well planned and executed.

I hope gov can divest from building roads where private investors find them profitable.

And then gov can spend money opening up northern kenya - which is not profitable.

Gov should be in business of building non-profitable stuff like SGR, LAPSET - if someone is willing to come and build profitable public investment - as long as the fee is not exorbitant - like the IPPS.

I understand that this will be a leased highway. The private entity build it and will maintain it. 
To use it you gotta pay.
Looks well planned

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »
Why are these mega deals shrouded in opacity?

One may lamely argue it protects Kung Fu companies when negotiating similar deals elsewhere, but reality is, the terms are punitive and the loans are bloody expensive.

There are guarantees by the government which kicks in should revenues dip below certain figures, else the project will be managed in perpetuity.

Yes but they are agreed figures - and terms because this public road - so china roads if they spend more - I hope they cannot increase the agreed toll fees or years before they hand it to gov - 30yrs.

But this is indeed a ground breaking development - well planned and executed.

I hope gov can divest from building roads where private investors find them profitable.

And then gov can spend money opening up northern kenya - which is not profitable.

Gov should be in business of building non-profitable stuff like SGR, LAPSET - if someone is willing to come and build profitable public investment - as long as the fee is not exorbitant - like the IPPS.

To use it you gotta pay.
Looks well planned
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 02:29:06 PM »
I also dont understand why they are secret?
Parliament should ask for them.
Auditor General should ask for them.
Omtatah should ask for them - and if not - get a court order.
Finally judiciary if asked can - order it cancelled - for lacking sufficient public participation.

This corruption by Uhuru and likes with Chinese will be revealed one day - and these contracts found to be null/void - and china will have to renegotiate.

Why are these mega deals shrouded in opacity?

One may lamely argue it protects Kung Fu companies when negotiating similar deals elsewhere, but reality is, the terms are punitive and the loans are bloody expensive.

There are guarantees by the government which kicks in should revenues dip below certain figures, else the project will be managed in perpetuity.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
Suppose motorist boycott?
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »
Because our local cowboys are deeply inside.
Moja Expressway the subsidiary of CRBC, that is to run the highway has our local cowboys as shareholders. Reminds me so much of Mobitelea that owned 5% of Safaricom.
In normal caese there is nothing to hide. The government is obligated to publish these contracts including the SGR one. Also such public projects need to be tendered. Nothing of the sort happened. Who knows if we would have got a better deal from another compnay?

I also dont understand why they are secret?
Parliament should ask for them.
Auditor General should ask for them.
Omtatah should ask for them - and if not - get a court order.
Finally judiciary if asked can - order it cancelled - for lacking sufficient public participation.

This corruption by Uhuru and likes with Chinese will be revealed one day - and these contracts found to be null/void - and china will have to renegotiate.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:12:37 PM »
How now? Its like you don't know know how crony capitalism work. As soon as this express way is open expect all kind of sabotage on the main road. Staged accidents, traffic stops etc etc..Kenya ina wenyewe.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:18:17 PM »

Great idea. If I go back I will make a point of not using the suspended road built on debt slavery.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 06:45:24 PM »
Secrecy is due to corruption. If it was a clean corruption free project then the contracts and tenders would be out in the open. I thought the reason why tolls were removed in kenyans roads like thika road was due to the fact they were found not to work. A toll road will just allow corruption to continue even after the project is completed. PPI projects are known to not work very well. Some states like Indiana in USA tried this nonsense that was advocated by conservatives and they road projects and ports ended up failing and costing taxpayers more. Just roll over this debt into public debt and then manage it that way