Author Topic: Humanising the Ebola scourge  (Read 2580 times)

Offline skatebodi

Humanising the Ebola scourge
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
As the World considers ebola that African (and at the moment West African) problem that cannot occur in a prosperous country, it has occurred to me that together with the rest of the World we might forget the human tragedies that characterise each infection and each death. The terror that visits homes every time  a family member is diagnosed positive. The frustration of sportsmen and women being shouted down in soccer stadia. The dismay at crushed economies, that needed every ounce of energy to keep turning. The sense of hopelessness, and distrust in corrupt governments. At the centre of this are the people. Those who live in crowded neighbourhoods, not fenced compounds. Those who use public transport. Those who rely on crowded hospitals whose doctors and nurses are too scared to work. These are the people, who trust their governments to at least provide support in such circumstances. Alas, the governments have not put health infrastructure in place. Not enough hospitals, neither ambulances or even local medical and administrative structures.
The tragedy that is Africa. Are there any parallels in the rest of Africa? Are there any lessons to be learned here?

http://www.sierraleonenewshunters.com/article/our-seriously-troubled-nationThis country produces a lot of quality diamonds.

Sketie.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Humanising the Ebola scourge
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Sierra Leone as well now...

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
Health, sanitation and water infrastructure are at the bottom of the African Negro's priorities.  I am not sure why.

In the current Ebola cycle.  How do they know people are not being misdiagnosed?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
Ebola isn't easily spread even with bad infrastructure. I suspect purposeful malicious intent.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
I read Sirleafs letter to the World and it sent chills down my spine. The politicians have been on potus case for not banning flights to west Africa and he has refused to budge...now I understand why.

President Sirleaf said ......... the fight against EVD "requires a commitment from every nation that has the capacity to help - whether that is with emergency funds, medical supplies or clinical expertise". She added that: "We all have a stake in the battle against Ebola. It is the duty of all of us, as global citizens, to send a message that we will not leave millions of West Africans to fend for themselves against an enemy that they do not know, and against whom they have little defence."
............."But one thing is clear. This is a fight in which the whole world has a stake. This disease respects no borders. The damage it is causing in West Africa, whether in public health, the economy or within communities - is already reverberating throughout the region and across the world."

Just few months ago before Ebola, the West could not get enough of of the blood diamonds coming from these region, but all of a sudden, now they want to distance themselves. This has been the nature of all relationships when dealing with africa, and the stupid African dictators are just so eager to please.

The irony here is, Ebola was first discovered in rwanda in 1976, that is more than 35 years ago....No African country ever bothered doing research on this deadly disease, only the West bothered with it, so why are we suprised that they are nonchalant? Africa need to wake up and start taking care of itself....for real.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
I am informed that Helen Sirleaf's own Doctor son will not be caught with his pants down in Liberia http://online.wsj.com/articles/many-liberian-doctorsincluding-presidents-sonare-staying-away-1413758509.

Liberia has 150 medical doctors.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »
Only 150 medical doctors? :o