Author Topic: Rural Electrification Funds Should be Devolved  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Rural Electrification Funds Should be Devolved
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
And a clear beneficiary selection criteria agreed upon. The funds should target households that have the lowest income and not subsidize people who can pay for electricity. Right now the cash is handed to Kenya Power which uses it to subsidize its customers. That is anti-competition.

Power companies have to compete based on how much they will offer the subscribers including a reduced rate. I assume the EAC will allow TZ and UG power companies to provide services in Kenya. I also assume the Counties will each form power supply companies and challenge the monopoly of the Power Monopoly. I assume the counties will pass laws to require KPL to allow competition.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Ole Ole

• Superstar
Re: Rural Electrification Funds Should be Devolved
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
Good idea. most national companies should be broken down/reduced to county corporations. KPLC is too big and inefficient, why should anyone be charged money 75k  to be connected to the national grid? where i live i just call the power co. and they turn the electricity on, no deposit or connection fees. KPL should be broken down to atleast 10 small kpl and let them compete or allow private investor to come in.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:09:35 AM »
I think that is in the pipeline..REA, KURA and KERA are to be devolved.

Ole Ole...the Anti-monopolies commission are sleeping on job...because they would have ordered KPLC split into several companies.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
Rural electrification fund is under the custody of REA and not KPL. REA has, I think devolved and opened up offices to all 47 counties.
To receive electricity:
1. Apply and pay the necessary connection charges to REA,
2. Wire your premises using a licensed electrician and obtain a wiring certificate
3. Pay the meter deposit to Kenya Power & Lighting
 NB your premises should be at within a radius of 600m from the TX

On the Roads, we have country roads and national trunk roads.
REA receives fund from both county and national governments and from external donors eg world bank
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Bitter, seem you're an insider; who is executing the last mile project; REA or KPLC.
Rural electrification fund is under the custody of REA and not KPL. REA has, I think devolved and opened up offices to all 47 counties.
To receive electricity:
1. Apply and pay the necessary connection charges to REA,
2. Wire your premises using a licensed electrician and obtain a wiring certificate
3. Pay the meter deposit to Kenya Power & Lighting
 NB your premises should be at within a radius of 600m from the TX

On the Roads, we have country roads and national trunk roads.
REA receives fund from both county and national governments and from external donors eg world bank