Author Topic: Nigeria agriclutural reforms - Ruto should copy this  (Read 5379 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Nigeria agriclutural reforms - Ruto should copy this
« on: September 05, 2021, 06:07:25 PM »
In 2014 - Nigeria imported 80 percent of all foods.
In 2020 - it's gone down to 20 percent.

https://nigeriafarmersgroup.org/about/about-anchor-borrowers-program/

One such programme - is lending to cooperative of farmers

https://nigeriafarmersgroup.org/about/about-anchor-borrowers-program/

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Nigeria agriclutural reforms - Ruto should copy this
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »
Q: WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS FOR QUALIFICATION?
A. Intending Beneficiary must be a fully registered member of the Cooperative.
B. Intending Beneficiary must maintain an FCMB account with at least a balance of N2,000.
C. Intending Beneficiary must sign an undertaking to have a lien placed on their account if they qualify for the program. The lien will limit them from withdrawing from the account until the provided funds is used for the purpose it was provided.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
Nice sexy concept for nascent industry. Hapa we have tried just about everything so I'm not sure how it would plug in. Take maize. There's no incentive you can throw to make it cheaper/internationally competitive. We import because ours are bloody expensive.

I think what we need is experimenting new stuff
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
I think two things; open up for international competition; then support farmers; and the let the chips fall wherever.
In old days of KFA - I believe maize farming was profitable.
And as much as we may not like it - we have more than 8M people whose "career" is farming or livestock keeping.
That is largest segment of bottom-down.
So we have to think about how gov can assist them with cheap loans and organize them into cooperatives - and the benefit from economies of scale.

Cheap loans - Quality Inputs - and then Crop Insurance - and voila we will be fine.

But first all the 8million farmers need to be organized into cooperatives and groups.

Next we move to Boda-Boda - who now maybe - 1M of them. As security measures it's critical the sector get some regulation. We have to force them into SACCOS, force them to wear some uniform of a Sacco and then as incentive assist them with cheap loans - to buy boda boda - and to save up.

Next we move to your Mpesa lady  - the urban hawker - the mechanic.

All of them need to belong to SACCO/Cooperative - before they can be assisted.

In Uganda - all hawkers wear uniform - and are self-organized. The same way we copied Matatu organization from them - we need to copy how to organize informal sector - into legitimate self-respecting self-regulating business.

Nice sexy concept for nascent industry. Hapa we have tried just about everything so I'm not sure how it would plug in. Take maize. There's no incentive you can throw to make it cheaper/internationally competitive. We import because ours are bloody expensive.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 01:56:38 PM »
Uganda - Kampala - street vendors and hawkers will be expected to have uniforms - I think each division or hawkers sacco should have uniform of certain branding - and the sacco officials should work with City or Town Council - so we do not have chase them like they are criminals

Kampala.

The ordinance further proposes that all traders be given uniforms and specific colors, according to the division they operate from. Vendors in Central division will wear a green uniform, Nakawa blue, Lubaga Orange, Kawempe Red and Makindye division Yellow.

Look here SafeBoda have hawkers - these boda and hawkers - can be organized, be orderly, and they can benefit from loans and live a dignified life - even if their fortunes wont turn around so much.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 10:02:10 PM »

Food is expensive because of land flippers. Buy acre-divide it into 1/8ths - sell. Go somewhere else and repeat. MEanwhile those fifty acres are out. They cant produce affordable food, so we import. The owners dont even pay any tax after purchase. SAD thing is policy makers are teh ones doing it.

HOW come all these years Ruto has never come up and fought for farmers???
Yes. That is the reason.
He was busy competing witht them using govt resources.
The guy has no policy, except for "me myself and I"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:02:11 PM by vooke »

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 11:43:44 PM »
Land rates and unused land penalties or something of that sort can be increased and ringfenced to be given to farmers.

This would be an easy way of counties and Ruto to hit on the dynasties and help the hustling farmers. It is also likely to free up idle land in the hands of the big landowners who can lease and chop it up. Heck, the rates can be calculated back to 1920 if it will be about vengeance.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 11:50:41 PM »
Resolving the hasora issues does not even require government funding. Just a common sense regulatory policy. Any business with customers rarely requires loans unless it is for expansion at which point you will get a rentable premise.

In Dar the hawkers clean up their trash from the streets because they are not bothered but in Nairobi they cannot even have a broom or a smal waste bin- they will be arrested for littering/ dumping😂😂😂 Total madness!

Makangas do not want to don their uniforms because once they step out of the vehicle they can be extorted by anybody in the streets.

Uganda - Kampala - street vendors and hawkers will be expected to have uniforms - I think each division or hawkers sacco should have uniform of certain branding - and the sacco officials should work with City or Town Council - so we do not have chase them like they are criminals

Kampala.

The ordinance further proposes that all traders be given uniforms and specific colors, according to the division they operate from. Vendors in Central division will wear a green uniform, Nakawa blue, Lubaga Orange, Kawempe Red and Makindye division Yellow.

Look here SafeBoda have hawkers - these boda and hawkers - can be organized, be orderly, and they can benefit from loans and live a dignified life - even if their fortunes wont turn around so much.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 11:57:13 PM »
Agreed. I am against gov regulating matatu or hawkers directly - but self-regulation. Therefore the police if they notice certain hawker sacco are floating rules - they punish the saccos. The sacco official therefore should regulate their own.

It's like a company. If Kanjo arrived at our company -and find violation - it doesnt go around chasing everyone in the building - and hunting them down like rats. It simply ask the CEO and they sort the issues.

The same need to happen in informal sector. These SACCOS will become like companies - and these hawkers, mechanics, makangas - become employees of SACCOS - the sacco then regulate them - expelling anyone who doesnt for example follow the rules. The gov if they notice a SACCO is violating - they can be kicked out for say a week - until they improve.

So SACCOS - Uniform of the SACCO - and then SACCOs are given a street - if they are mechanics - they are given an area.

Resolving the hasora issues does not even require government funding. Just a common sense regulatory policy. Any business with customers rarely requires loans unless it is for expansion at which point you will get a rentable premise.

In Dar the hawkers clean up their trash from the streets because they are not bothered but in Nairobi they cannot even have a broom or a smal waste bin- they will be arrested for littering/ dumping😂😂😂 Total madness!

Makangas do not want to don their uniforms because once they step out of the vehicle they can be extorted by anybody in the streets.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »
But why do we want to add quantity of land under farming; while our productivity is 5 times less than Asia or Europe. Using the current land under cultivation - we can improve the agriculture 5 times - by simply applying 5 times the fertilizers - using quality seeds - embracing GMO and applying required pesticides - better agronomy - and of course figuring out the market for all that excess food that will be produced.
Land rates and unused land penalties or something of that sort can be increased and ringfenced to be given to farmers.

This would be an easy way of counties and Ruto to hit on the dynasties and help the hustling farmers. It is also likely to free up idle land in the hands of the big landowners who can lease and chop it up. Heck, the rates can be calculated back to 1920 if it will be about vengeance.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »
Look at fertilizer application in kenya - it stuck or even regressing.  And this key to unlock agriculture - gov need to subsidize fertilizers - from now 3500 per 50bag to 1,000 - and then import 5 times more - and agriculture gdp will move from 25B to 100B dollars

What will be cost of fertilizer subsidy programme of such magnitude....

KTDA import  nearly 1/5 of all the fertilizers - about 100K metric tonnes - out of the roughly 500K metric tonnes being imported in the country

"KTDA Management Services Ltd imported 95,937 metric tonnes (1,918,734 bags) of NPK 26:5:5 fertilizer valued at Kshs. 3.822 Billion on behalf of 619,637 small-scale tea farmers and some multinational companies. The fertilizer has been distributed through the 69 KTDA-managed tea factories in Kenya."

Now that tell you total fertilizer imports to kenya - is mere 20B Kshs.

To raise that 5 times - gov will need to spend 80Bkshs - but because farmers will buy say at 1,000 per bag (spending almost the same amount now - but getting 5 bags instead of 1) - gov need to spend 80B minus 20B.

A fertlizer subsidy programme of 60B kshs - that is just 600M dollars - can generate 100B dollars (with other factors).

So give and take - subsidize quality seeds and pesticides - you can spend 1B dollars  consisting of 600m on fertilizers, 400m in other aspects such as seeds/pesticide - and generate 100B dollars.

With lots of food generated - animal feeds, poutry, dairy - will become profitable.

And with that agro-processing will make sense - so you can similarly lift manufacturing.

https://africafertilizer.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Kenya-Fertilizer-Statistics-Overview-2015.pdf

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 12:17:45 AM »
I would say we work with what we have - if it is land and water- let mwafrika use it to the maximum. Fertilizers costs seem higher than leasing an extra acre of land. We can even ride on the organic higher prices train.

But why do we want to add quantity of land under farming; while our productivity is 5 times less than Asia or Europe. Using the current land under cultivation - we can improve the agriculture 5 times - by simply applying 5 times the fertilizers - using quality seeds - embracing GMO and applying required pesticides - better agronomy - and of course figuring out the market for all that excess food that will be produced.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 12:21:13 AM »
It doesnt require any thinking or innovation. it just require doing. Right now fertilizers are very expensive 3,500 - that almost cost of leasing an acre of land - and people apply one or two bag per acres - instead of 5 to 10 bags.

In my own calculation - if we spend 60B on a huge subsidized fertilizer program - farmers will be able to buy 5 times more for the same 3,500 - buying each at 700 per bag - and their yield will improve 5 times!

Otherwise organic and such ideas - cannot SCALE - we need ideas that can scale. We need people to produce enough food it will start going to waste. And that waste can be fed on cows, chicken and pigs.

Can we get 60B fertilizer subsidy programme - I think we can - in budget of 30B dollars - that is small money.

I would say we work with what we have - if it is land and water- let mwafrika use it to the maximum. Fertilizers costs seem higher than leasing an extra acre of land. We can even ride on the organic higher prices train.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 12:23:06 AM »
Precisely. It just needs a presidential that there should be no police talking to matatu drivers na baas. Just like we take our criminal cases to police - it should be the case with matatus, bars, hawkers. Get these leeches of the back of these enterprises and they will use the money to improve services, scale up, integrate innovations and formalize.

Agreed. I am against gov regulating matatu or hawkers directly - but self-regulation. Therefore the police if they notice certain hawker sacco are floating rules - they punish the saccos. The sacco official therefore should regulate their own.

It's like a company. If Kanjo arrived at our company -and find violation - it doesnt go around chasing everyone in the building - and hunting them down like rats. It simply ask the CEO and they sort the issues.

The same need to happen in informal sector. These SACCOS will become like companies - and these hawkers, mechanics, makangas - become employees of SACCOS - the sacco then regulate them - expelling anyone who doesnt for example follow the rules. The gov if they notice a SACCO is violating - they can be kicked out for say a week - until they improve.

So SACCOS - Uniform of the SACCO - and then SACCOs are given a street - if they are mechanics - they are given an area.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 12:27:08 AM »
Yes I think laws just need to change. The police should deal with SACCO officials. This need to be codified into law. We need to go for group or sacco punishment. So basically those hawkers become employers or member of SACCO complete with uniform and badge. The police if they find violation - should go to SACCO office. These SACCO should also get gov funding to improve say on hygiene standards, these uniforms can be funded free from gov, etc. And then SACCOs can compete like Matatus do. Each Sacco competing - but no makanga or driver should be arrested except for clearly criminal individual responsibility kind of crime - SACCO itself should get banned or punished for business kind of rules.
Precisely. It just needs a presidential that there should be no police talking to matatu drivers na baas. Just like we take our criminal cases to police - it should be the case with matatus, bars, hawkers. Get these leeches of the back of these enterprises and they will use the money to improve services, scale up, integrate innovations and formalize.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 12:33:19 AM »
These businesses make money. The extortion fees are enough for the upgrades, the uniforms, paying offices and daily remittances as is already happening with matatus. In the boda boda where there are no saccos, they are being milked by hire purchase guys who give them the motor bikes and they pay a daily fee taking 9-12 months.

There are enough laws but no one is bold to call off the traffic police and kanjo extortionists. 

Yes I think laws just need to change. The police should deal with SACCO officials. This need to be codified into law. We need to go for group or sacco punishment. So basically those hawkers become employers or member of SACCO complete with uniform and badge. The police if they find violation - should go to SACCO office. These SACCO should also get gov funding to improve say on hygiene standards, these uniforms can be funded free from gov, etc. And then SACCOs can compete like Matatus do. Each Sacco competing - but no makanga or driver should be arrested except for clearly criminal individual responsibility kind of crime - SACCO itself should get banned or punished for business kind of rules.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 12:57:14 AM »
Yes it's a lot of money. My bro run a matatu sacco - and they make crazy money.And they have incentive to enforce order. Their word is basically the law. Getting banned from a sacco is more serious crime than police shaking few 50bobs. So it easy to regulate these sectors...and for gov to eventually start assisting the members to upgrade to better vehicles, buying houses, getting medical insurances and getting formal employment benefits - and basically dignifying their hustle - just like in developed world - every job is dignified.
These businesses make money. The extortion fees are enough for the upgrades, the uniforms, paying offices and daily remittances as is already happening with matatus. In the boda boda where there are no saccos, they are being milked by hire purchase guys who give them the motor bikes and they pay a daily fee taking 9-12 months.

There are enough laws but no one is bold to call off the traffic police and kanjo extortionists. 

Offline Fairandbalanced

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 02:31:10 AM »
Ruto is a piece of shit, no original idea. I listen to him and want to weep, he is a dumb mwizi.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 02:56:03 AM »
Sounds like you got a lot of organic manure that Limuru farmers can use. Online we have no use of it. Meza dawa - 10yrs is a long time to be embittered.

Ruto is a piece of shit, no original idea. I listen to him and want to weep, he is a dumb mwizi.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 06:56:31 AM »
Look at fertilizer application in kenya - it stuck or even regressing.  And this key to unlock agriculture - gov need to subsidize fertilizers - from now 3500 per 50bag to 1,000 - and then import 5 times more - and agriculture gdp will move from 25B to 100B dollars

What will be cost of fertilizer subsidy programme of such magnitude....

KTDA import  nearly 1/5 of all the fertilizers - about 100K metric tonnes - out of the roughly 500K metric tonnes being imported in the country

"KTDA Management Services Ltd imported 95,937 metric tonnes (1,918,734 bags) of NPK 26:5:5 fertilizer valued at Kshs. 3.822 Billion on behalf of 619,637 small-scale tea farmers and some multinational companies. The fertilizer has been distributed through the 69 KTDA-managed tea factories in Kenya."

Now that tell you total fertilizer imports to kenya - is mere 20B Kshs.

To raise that 5 times - gov will need to spend 80Bkshs - but because farmers will buy say at 1,000 per bag (spending almost the same amount now - but getting 5 bags instead of 1) - gov need to spend 80B minus 20B.

A fertlizer subsidy programme of 60B kshs - that is just 600M dollars - can generate 100B dollars (with other factors).

So give and take - subsidize quality seeds and pesticides - you can spend 1B dollars  consisting of 600m on fertilizers, 400m in other aspects such as seeds/pesticide - and generate 100B dollars.

With lots of food generated - animal feeds, poutry, dairy - will become profitable.

And with that agro-processing will make sense - so you can similarly lift manufacturing.

https://africafertilizer.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Kenya-Fertilizer-Statistics-Overview-2015.pdf

Subsidies won't work. They promote laziness, are a disincentive against efficiency as long as target market is local.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.