Author Topic: Mozambique Opposition Rejects Election Results  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Mozambique Opposition Rejects Election Results
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
What drives Mozambique politics?  In Kenya we know it's a tribalized elite and hoi polloi.  What's the deal in Mozambique?
Renamo, Mozambique's main opposition movement, has rejected provisional results showing the ruling Frelimo party won Wednesday's presidential and parliamentary elections, saying they were flawed by fraud and demanding a fresh vote.

Results released on Thursday night showed that Defence Minister Felipe Nyusi, Frelimo's presidential presidential candidate, had 63 percent of the vote after counts at almost a quarter of 17,000 polling stations.

Renamo candidate Afonso Dhlakama was second with nearly 30 percent of the vote.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/10/mozambique-opposition-rejects-election-result-2014101794844507622.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Mozambique Opposition Rejects Election Results
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
Where is Mozambique? I'm unfamiliar with their political system. .

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Where is Mozambique? I'm unfamiliar with their political system. .
A huge country North East of South Africa.  Created by Portugal.  Mostly made up of Bantus.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
I see, doesn't ring a bell.. they seem to copy lots from surrounding countries. Can't see uniquely Mozambique politics.

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
I see, doesn't ring a bell.. they seem to copy lots from surrounding countries. Can't see uniquely Mozambique politics.
They had a bloody civil war in the 70s and 80s.  Cold war politics. 

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
I see. Such a big land mass... thanks for bringing it up.

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
What drives Mozambique politics?  In Kenya we know it's a tribalized elite and hoi polloi.  What's the deal in Mozambique?
Renamo, Mozambique's main opposition movement, has rejected provisional results showing the ruling Frelimo party won Wednesday's presidential and parliamentary elections, saying they were flawed by fraud and demanding a fresh vote.

Results released on Thursday night showed that Defence Minister Felipe Nyusi, Frelimo's presidential presidential candidate, had 63 percent of the vote after counts at almost a quarter of 17,000 polling stations.

Renamo candidate Afonso Dhlakama was second with nearly 30 percent of the vote.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/10/mozambique-opposition-rejects-election-result-2014101794844507622.html

This puts Raila in a pickle..he's the leader of observer group, and jubilees are having a blast...what is he to do, call for nullification,
or how does he pacify the opposition? Interesting, to say the least!
And Life Goes On..

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »
I have been reading up a bit on Alfonso Dhlakama(former rebel leader).  He sounds like a nut job.  He has threatened to destroy the whole country.  He has already been causing trouble in former RENAMO areas.  He is 61.  He has been a rebel leader since he was 26.  He doesn't know any other way of doing things.  He probably needs to be put to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_Dhlakama

Harriet Tubman

Offline Logan

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »
hehhee.. he's quite a character.. what's Rao to do?  :(

I have been reading up a bit on Alfonso Dhlakama(former rebel leader).  He sounds like a nut job.  He has threatened to destroy the whole country.  He has already been causing trouble in former RENAMO areas.  He is 61.  He has been a rebel leader since he was 26.  He doesn't know any other way of doing things.  He probably needs to be put to sleep.

And Life Goes On..

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »

Standard story all over The Beloved Continent.   This guy is probably another Savimbi, and for that sort there is only one type of "lasting solution".
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »
Standard story all over The Beloved Continent.   This guy is probably another Savimbi, and for that sort there is only one type of "lasting solution".

You mean he is a living ghost that should be exorcised .... scientifically
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »
We read about RENAMO way back in primary school; seem like Angola..dos santos-savimbi situation...both portuguese colonized countries are blessed with huge minerals.