Author Topic: Volleyball: Hard Fighting Malkia Strikers Go Down to Japan  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma
Kenya: Hard Fighting Malkia Strikers Go Down to Japan in Opening Olympic Duel
https://allafrica.com/stories/202107260102.html
Don't steal. The Uhuruto Government hates competition.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Volleyball: Hard Fighting Malkia Strikers Go Down to Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:55:35 PM »
They'll never make it at that level.  Sad but true.

The shocker of the games IMO is Ahmed Hafnaoui.  The man came out of nowhere and won 400m freestyle.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
I watched it; they are slowly getting there; the last match was good. They need to keep improving until they BREAK THE PHYSIOLOGICAL BARRIER. The same way Rubgy Sevens did. Once they believe in themselves - it become easy. Technically there is not a gulf of difference.

The shocker of the games IMO is Ahmed Hafnaoui.  The man came out of nowhere and won 400m freestyle.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
I watched it; they are slowly getting there; the last match was good. They need to keep improving until they BREAK THE PHYSIOLOGICAL BARRIER. The same way Rubgy Sevens did. Once they believe in themselves - it become easy. Technically there is not a gulf of difference.

Yeah, psychology is a huge part of it.  But they also find themselves up against a rock and a hard place.  Their competition, outside Africa, is unfair because of readier access to facilities and training.  The Rugby sevens guys also appear to have reverted to back to form after that short spell where they were world class.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 05:17:22 PM »
Hopefully they can get more club membership outside kenya - they really should focus on young players - get them to scholarship abroad - where they can play - or senior players to go to developed world leagues.But this will only happen when they win one or two games - and announce their arrival in world.

Rugby seem to be mismanagment issues - coaches being changed often. Covid also has made travel impossible so lots of the players could be lacking the sharpeness

Yeah, psychology is a huge part of it.  But they also find themselves up against a rock and a hard place.  Their competition, outside Africa, is unfair because of readier access to facilities and training.  The Rugby sevens guys also appear to have reverted to back to form after that short spell where they were world class.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 05:28:57 PM »
Hopefully they can get more club membership outside kenya - they really should focus on young players - get them to scholarship abroad - where they can play - or senior players to go to developed world leagues.But this will only happen when they win one or two games - and announce their arrival in world.

Rugby seem to be mismanagment issues - coaches being changed often. Covid also has made travel impossible so lots of the players could be lacking the sharpeness

I think that might be true.  Ben Ayimba was their best coach, but they kicked him out for some petty reasons.  Though the guy died recently.  But that pool was going to be hard no matter what, with USA(beatable but well coached) and South Africa.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 05:47:49 PM »
There is also infighting, as soon as they get a whiff of recognition and money starts coming in.  For volleyball, I think management seems okay, so international exposure is the issue.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Yes rugby is the money. One sponroship deal from Safaricom/Tusker is enough to bring all the hyenas. Volleyball - there was a Kioni dude who had stayed forever. The current coach is good - he transformed Rwanda volleyball.
There is also infighting, as soon as they get a whiff of recognition and money starts coming in.  For volleyball, I think management seems okay, so international exposure is the issue.

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Yes, that was a shocker. Only his coach was there to cheer him!

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:12:58 PM »
Swimming is one those horribly overlooked sports in Kenya.  If you weren't paying attention you wouldn't know there is a Kenyan swimming team at the games.  A 50(or even 25) m pool in every county, available to young Kenyans, would be nice start.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 11:21:13 PM »
Kenya won his heats. There is good swimming talent in the middle and upper class schools. But nothing in Kapxyz primary school of course - and that is probably where most talent is.

The way I see CDF - should establish sports centers -in central school every ward -  should have these facilities - swimming pool, tennis,name it.

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 11:30:13 PM »
Kenya won his heats. There is good swimming talent in the middle and upper class schools. But nothing in Kapxyz primary school of course - and that is probably where most talent is.

The way I see CDF - should establish sports centers -in central school every ward -  should have these facilities - swimming pool, tennis,name it.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 11:34:06 PM »
Yes middle class kids lack the hunger for this; for them it will always be co-curriculum; but for the poor kids; even the little money they make; make a huge difference; so it career for them.

KDF/Kenya police remain - as only source of talent for boxing - etc - as parastals have gone down - and companies just sponsor leagues.

And these activities really help with reducing alcoholism, drugs and all the ills in rural kenya.

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 11:34:46 PM »
Pundit,

I could not agree with you more.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:19 PM »
Of course competing with American schools who spend even 5M dollars on sport facilities is impossible.
But we can start small - it doesnt cost much - and can become center for youth and even old people exercises.
Pundit,

I could not agree with you more.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 11:38:40 PM »
Counties did baby step of building stadiums...now they need to sponsor leagues...and keep youths engaged...in many small leagues. Developed world - make sport almost central to lifes of people. Counties can easily sponsors team leagues - and ward rep - can sponsor ward leagues - for many sports. Keep most youth busy practising and staying away from drugs.

Sportpesa was starting to fix the financing aspect - but gov thought the betting was bad habbit.

So gov either allow sport betting - to self-finance sports - or finance it.

I would go for sport betting - with people betting that Kapxyz will beat kap4848 - instead of betting russian ice hockey

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma